• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BoXem Arthur 4515/E2 Or icepower 1200as2 ?

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I provided evidence,haven't touch anything in the room during the measurement and when I say sloppy I mean that I don't use a Klippel but humble REW.
This is my active setup so I just swap the cables,that's the only difference.
Levels are dead on,you can see it.
And yes,it's the low's distortion,to my 83-84db sensitivity woofers it makes a difference.

Edit:Idon't know if you can read measurements,but that's not the response,that's the distortion.
Response is nearly identical.
I appreciate the effort, but you haven't shown the actual power levels delivered from the amps or a reasonable estimation of the 1m SPL, or the specs of the speakers involved. If you can demonstrate significant bass response deviation at 86dBSPL/1m, into the same speakers, between two power amps both capable of delivering enough power at the relevant impedances, then that's a big deal. Amir's measurements show the LA90 is flat into the relevant loads at all frequencies, and the Boxem and any other competent Hypex/Purifi also is. If you don't think that's true then you need really good evidence.

Sokel

Master Contributor
If you can demonstrate significant bass response deviation at 86dBSPL/1m, into the same speakers, between two power amps both capable of delivering enough power at the relevant impedances, then that's a big deal.
One amp is 1200 watt the other 300,both capable.
The level is 82.5db for both,you can see it at the left down corner.
The sensitivity spec for my 10" inch woofers is 83-84db.That means that at 3m distance from the LP all they used was a few watts,at most.
Yet again...

And again,it's not the response that's changes that's nearly the same for both ,you get the same peaks and dips in the response chart.
That's the distortion chart,it means that you maybe listen to the same dips and peaks but the distortion down there is higher.
Probably the small one can't handle low's as well with the big one.There can be a lot of reasons for that.

If someone has an active system and two amps with the same gain but 1/4 difference of power can try it too.

mcdn

Forum Donor

Probably the small one can't handle low's as well with the big one.There can be a lot of reasons for that.
There can’t be a lot of reasons for that. There can only be one, which is that the power you are asking the LA90 to deliver in that range is outside its spec. Or there’s a problem with your test protocol. if the power is only a few watts, then I’m suspecting your test protocol

Sokel

Master Contributor
that the power you are asking the LA90 to deliver in that range is outside its spec
What LA90?
There's no LA90 here,the amps you see tested is both Ice Power.
One is 1200AS2 Edge and the other is 300A2 Edge.
There's must be some misunderstanding here,the discussion was about power only in that point of the thread there and that was only an example.

mcdn

Forum Donor
What LA90?
There's no LA90 here,the amps you see tested is both Ice Power.
One is 1200AS2 Edge and the other is 300A2 Edge.
There's must be some misunderstanding here,the discussion was about power only in that point of the thread there and that was only an example.
Sorry got my threads crossed! The point is the same though. If the 300A2 is operating within spec, then that distortion is a mystery that needs solving. Have you tried measuring the amp into a dummy load?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Sorry got my threads crossed! The point is the same though. If the 300A2 is operating within spec, then that distortion is a mystery that needs solving. Have you tried measuring the amp into a dummy load?
Yes,everything is tested as much as it can be.
That reflects on that measurements too,you can see that the rest of the chart in both cases is more than satisfactory.
These amps have a ton of control and status indicators that would indicate any abnormal situation.
At the end it comes to power,I know my low's are a difficult load plus need power,so they separate their own way the weak from the adequate.
There a lot of people checking it,some of them pros who make my installation.

Sometimes there is a reason for power,check the devialets for example,1-2KW amps in their small boxes,must be a need for them to be there.

mcdn

Forum Donor
At the end it comes to power,I know my low's are a difficult load plus need power,so they separate their own way the weak from the adequate.
So you're saying the 300A2 doesn't have the power needed for your bass drivers at the volumes you listen? Earlier in the thread you said at the volumes you measured in room the power demand for the speakers was "a few watts". I'm sure you've measured something interesting, but if it's at <100W output then it really can't be the amps that are causing the difference.

Sokel

Master Contributor
So you're saying the 300A2 doesn't have the power needed for your bass drivers at the volumes you listen? Earlier in the thread you said at the volumes you measured in room the power demand for the speakers was "a few watts". I'm sure you've measured something interesting, but if it's at <100W output then it really can't be the amps that are causing the difference.
I never said anything about volumes.
I plan to repeat the measurement with 2 more amps just to see,both are adequate (more than).
To be fair:all this is not something you can't hear,distortion down there is hard to catch unless it gets really high.
And it does NOT affects FR at all,in every aspect.
Is just the curiosity.

mcdn

Forum Donor
I never said anything about volumes.
Yes you did, you said "The level is 82.5db for both,you can see it at the left down corner. The sensitivity spec for my 10" inch woofers is 83-84db.That means that at 3m distance from the LP all they used was a few watts,at most."

Sokel

Master Contributor
Yes you did, you said "The level is 82.5db for both,you can see it at the left down corner. The sensitivity spec for my 10" inch woofers is 83-84db.That means that at 3m distance from the LP all they used was a few watts,at most."
Yes,nothing apart from that,nothing about volumes I listen.Just the exact same volume for the measurement as it should.
And far lower than something that would stress them enough.
Yet again,the measurements don't lie.

mcdn

Forum Donor
Yes,nothing apart from that,nothing about volumes I listen.Just the exact same volume for the measurement as it should.
And far lower than something that would stress them enough.
Yet again,the measurements don't lie.
The measurements don't lie, they are what they are. Your assertion is that the measurement difference is because of the differing maximum power ratings of the two amps, despite the measurement being taken at under 100W amp output, where both have less than 0.01% distortion. That's a huge claim that requires big proof.

Sokel

Master Contributor
That's a huge claim that requires big proof.
I'm puzzled too,I won't hide that.
But I have been told by people who measure stuff all the time that this has been measured many times (in real world measurements).
I will investigate it further,that's for sure!

CMB

BEETHOVEN Concert Grand REFERENCE
Impedance4 Ohms
Frequency response28 - 23000 Hz
Sensitivity90 dB
Recommended Amplifier50 – 400 Watts
Capture d’écran 2022-09-18 à 12.01.30.png

From : https://geoffthegreygeek.com/understanding-speaker-sensitivity/

SO, +6 for room, +3 for second speaker = roughly 112 dB, if sensitivity is correct
Should be plenty, I guess

Applaudius

Hi,
I’m hoping my query here is not totally out of context. I’m considering a Boxem Arthur 4215/E2 stereo power amp, amongst others, to go with my KR Audio P-135 pre amp which has Output level of 1.5V RMS (R load > 2k ohm) & Balanced Output of 2 x 1.5V (R load > 4k Ohm). Freq Response 10Hz+100KHz (-1dB).

Can anyone tell from these stats whether good potential?

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 31

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Hi,
I’m hoping my query here is not totally out of context. I’m considering a Boxem Arthur 4215/E2 stereo power amp, amongst others, to go with my KR Audio P-135 pre amp which has Output level of 1.5V RMS (R load > 2k ohm) & Balanced Output of 2 x 1.5V (R load > 4k Ohm). Freq Response 10Hz+100KHz (-1dB).

Can anyone tell from these stats whether good potential?

Cheers
Hi,
If you use the balanced outs from your pre you will be fine. The 4215/E2 input stage was designed to be easy to drive from any kind of preamp.

Top Bottom