• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bose use Genelec

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bose said:
Lastly, Genelec makes world-class speakers and has a very similar engineering philosophy to Bose, which allows us to accurately measure sound.
I fell off my chair when I read that last sentence. :oops:
This might not be the contradiction you might think. Bose uses engineering to reach quite different targets though.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This might not be the contradiction you might think. Bose uses engineering to reach quite different targets though.
Bose usually elicits a kneejerk negative reaction from audiophiles .. Few audiophiles, the person writing this included, would be caught using a Bose product. And like most prejudices, they are wrong. Bose knows a thing or two, about what people prefers. What they know is in their products, often with surprisingly good albeit not accurate results: Several Bose headphones are flat-out good to excellent (the 700, IMO) and some products although lacking in every aspects, manage to provide to their users a modicum of good sound, e.g. the Bose "Wave" Radio. To achieve those results, they use Science and Engineering/Technology. Fortunately for us, other companies are doing the same. Among these, the so-much loved here, Genelec, Revel but also Neumann (should never be forgotten, a different path to similar great results0, the consistently excellent Kef and the new comer with spectacular credentials, Dutch and Dutch.. There are others that I may have forgotten. Noticed that I didn't mention JBL.. They have the good (LSR 305, 308, HDI) , the excellent ( JBL M2 ), but it is too much of a crap shoot with this brand.. Harman seems to affix the "JBL" badge on anything they sell... but yeah they should be.. so there! JBL too. :)

Peace.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Would love to know more...?

AFAIK...
These were made by CTS with paper cone, with butyl impregnated cloth surround, and original part number was model 4.5SR10B. I believe CTS was out of Brownsville, TX at that time.

A group of MIT guys bought a pile of them (rumored to be Bose QA rejects) circa 1970 and tried to sell bootleg kits.

mixsit

Forum Donor
At least I see most of the drivers point in the right direction these days.
:>)

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most people are not ASR members. Bose is not for ASR members. They are laughing their way to the bank, so one way or the other, they are smart.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You should make a room with Bose speakers playing where you lock employees that didn't work enough for a week or so.

And then you wonder why the workers and employees fight the employers .... :)

OP
Vintage57

Vintage57

Forum Donor

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Most people are not ASR members. Bose is not for ASR members. They are laughing their way to the bank, so one way or the other, they are smart.
This is right. As the Bose guy in the OP's linked interview said, also correctly, Genelec does not compete with Bose. I can't think of a single person who even considers buying Genelec, who would even consider Bose speakers, and vise versa. Competition here is totally irrelevant to both businesses and probably anyone buying both brands owns Genelec speakers and Bose noise cancelling headphones, which are not competing. Bose buying Genelec speakers for transparent sound reproduction is perfectly logical and not at all hypocritical.

skyfly

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use Genelecs and ended up buying the Bose N700 to the office after listening all the best NC headphones. Still quite pleased with them.

skyfly

"As of right now, we have critical listening rooms at our facilities in Massachusetts and Michigan in the U.S., and in Germany, Japan and Korea. "

They have "critical listening rooms" where there are big car manufacturers.

skyfly

I think those who read a lot on the internet and fell into Bose bashing would never buy Bose.

However, I think there could be musicians or music lovers who buy both Genelec and Bose loudspeakers.

I experienced rattling problem with Celestion (hi-fi brand) and Mackie (low price "Pro" audio brand) loudspeakers, but not from Bose. Just my personal experience.

Objectively speaking, Bose is offering 30 day free return policy in the USA, China, and so on. The would not survive if the quality is really poor.

Pseudo objectively guessing, quite many people buying Bose read less audio advertisement than people in audio forums like this one.

Top Bottom