• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bose QuietComfort 45 Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 21 11.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 45 24.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 93 50.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 13.6%

• Total voters

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
Seems like a nothing-special reboot of the venerable QC35 to me. I don't really care about the performance at 114dB, a level one shouldn't listen at anyway if they care about their hearing health.

delta76

Major Contributor
Tell me how measurements identify musicality, please? By "musical," I really was saying only that I prefer either of these alternatives to the Bose when I'm listening to music.
because musicality is a myth - a headphone can target and match Harman curve, or it does not. this headphone is as good (if not slightly better) in that regard than your other "audiophile-quality" headphones.

yes you might prefer other headphones than this, and that's fine. everyone has their own tastes. but saying this is not as good as audiophile-quality headphone is non sense.

bt3

I had just one QC45. Sold it. Preferred QC25, QC35 and QC35II models.
QC25 was so-oo light. Also..
From my experience, QC25's longevity wins over later QC models.
Replaceable battery vs non-replaceable battery the reason.
I have two pairs of QC25's that have outlived two pairs of QC35's by 1-to-2 years.
No turning back to replacable batteries. Non-replaceable batteries took over long ago.
QC series has porked-up with each new iteration. Not alot, but lighter is better if you wear headphones all day most days.
Batteries aside, my main beef with QC phones is the earpads tend to degrade rather quickly under heavy use.
Think a company with Bose's research clout could develop a more durable earpad material.
Guessing Bose chose not to disturb income stream captured selling replacement earpads, and they sell alot of replacement earpads.

Last edited:

perdido34

No. You misread and should be more careful. My quote is on the issue of 5db...
Actually, you were responding to this sentence: "So there's hiss and the two channels have up to a 5db imbalance?"

You responded, "Turning the unit on nicely fixed that." Readers are supposed to guess that your response only applied to the phrase after and, rather than to both parts of the sentence? No, I was careful.

Last edited:

Bam!

Actually, you were responding to this sentence: "So there's hiss and the two channels have up to a 5db imbalance?"

You responded, "Turning the unit on nicely fixed that." Readers are supposed to guess that your response only applied to the phrase after and, rather than to both parts of the sentence? No, I was careful.
"Readers are supposed to guess"

YES!

I operate under the assumption that readers have read Armirs review and can put the pieces of this not so complex puzzle together...I guess exceptions confirm the rule.

perdido34

"Readers are supposed to guess"

YES!

I operate under the assumption that readers have read Armirs review and can put the pieces of this not so complex puzzle together...I guess exceptions confirm the rule.
You operate under the assumption that people can read your mind while ignoring what you actually wrote. Meanwhile, you say I'm not careful? Oh, well, I'm moving on.

Bam!

You operate under the assumption that people can read your mind while ignoring what you actually wrote. Meanwhile, you say I'm not careful? Oh, well, I'm moving on.
I am saying that this puzzle was obviously too complex for you. I quoted Amir and think/hope that a) people who read the review will identify the quote without quotation marks b) know from the context that "on" only solves the imbalance problem.

Oh, well keep moving.
Screenshot_20230718_152950_Chrome~2.jpg

I am saying that this puzzle was obviously too complex for you. I quoted Amir and think/hope that a) people who read the review will identify the quote without quotation marks b) know from the context that "on" only solves the imbalance problem.

Oh, well keep moving.
It still has channel imbalance issues around 1k to 3k while active. The headphones seem fit for purpose (noise cancelling), ignoring the hiss, but not much beyond that. I wouldn't want NC headphones with a hiss if I were interested.

Bam!

but not much beyond that.
I disagree. It is a good sounding headphone and purpose is not "noise cancelling" that is a feature like USB C, Audio codecs etc. The PURPOSE of this headphone is good sounding music reproduction

Bam!

They actually cost much more than $329 since you'll need to buy a new pair every year after they fall apart.
? I have my 35 and 45 since they came out. Still in top condition and I used them a lot. My 700 is also like new. Never had any issues with the Bose hp hardware the software on the other side. In general I am very happy and the only thing I miss is support for aptx. Rumors say it may come but until now nothing.

peniku8

Forum Donor
Interesting that the channel imbalance is so large in passive mode and disappears in the active modes, guess its due to different internal cup volumes due to electronics and nicely corrected by their EQ/DSP.
Like their predessors QC35 and QC35 II models they are good purchases which I have recommended to few friends which commute a lot and all are really happy with them.
I wouldn't call this "disappears", I'd call it rather concerning:

3PXnTeW.jpg

The dsp seems to correct the channel matching only to 1khz. That's 6dB imbalance at 1.8khz, which will mess a lot with the center image of vocals, for example.
I'm surprised that Amir didn't address this in the review/listening test.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I wouldn't call this "disappears", I'd call it rather concerning:

3PXnTeW.jpg

The dsp seems to correct the channel matching only to 1khz. That's 6dB imbalance at 1.8khz, which will mess a lot with the center image of vocals, for example.
I'm surprised that Amir didn't address this in the review/listening test.
Agreed. It’s hard to give this headphone a pass with what is certainly audible channel imbalance. Everyone has different tolerance levels, but this level of imbalance right in the most critical range would drive me nuts.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting that the channel imbalance is so large in passive mode and disappears in the active modes, guess its due to different internal cup volumes due to electronics and nicely corrected by their EQ/DSP.

I'm not certain about this. For a while already, most consumer closed backs over-ears have had a dedicated rear volume inside the outer shell that's usually mirrored on either sides. The volume between the rear volume and the outer shell is where the R/L different electronics / parts / batteries are located, but designing these headphones this way should minimise that issue, shouldn't it ?

A teardown of the QC45 :
You can see that the front and rear volumes are for the most part mirrored on each sides (I mean, not perfectly, but an effort has been made), and that the packaging differences are concentrated in the volume formed by the outer shell.

For now I'm tempted to attribute the channel imbalance below several hundred Hz, when passively driven, simply to leakage, but I could be wrong.

droid2000

? I have my 35 and 45 since they came out. Still in top condition and I used them a lot. My 700 is also like new. Never had any issues with the Bose hp hardware the software on the other side. In general I am very happy and the only thing I miss is support for aptx. Rumors say it may come but until now nothing.

One of the speakers stopped working after about a year on my first pair.

Here is what the second (unusable) pair looks like:

1689691208475.png

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For those of you who have difficulties reading graphs, please consider the following data points:

Frequency: 1704.536 Hz
Left: 93.27943936 dB
Right: 99.01291428 dB
Difference: 5.73347492 dB

Frequency: 5590.43879 Hz
Left: 106.30391701 dB
Right: 100.75651008 dB
Difference: 5.54740693 dB

Frequency: 8006.744331 Hz
Left: 90.84633004 dB
Right: 84.18211842 dB
Difference: 6.66421162 dB

The data is from the raw frequency response when the headphones are powered on.

Top Bottom