• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

bookshelf speakers for Yamaha stereo receiver

raindance

Major Contributor
I can’t think of a situation in which biwiring is objectively beneficial.

However there are a few situations in which it may be harmful, though very rare. The amp in question here could provide such a case, if both parts of a speaker were both insensitive and difficult to drive, it could just look like two different insensitive speakers to the amp and fall foul of the warning not to attach two sets of 8 ohm speakers that was quoted earlier.

The usual reason for warning against biwiring is price (with boutique cables), though. I’m pretty sure they are covering that now- I remember seeing a pair of jumper cables to go between bass and treble sections priced in the five figure range for a whole 40cm of wire…
I'm sorry, this reasoning is illogical. It will always look like a single speaker per channel no matter whether you jumper it at the speaker end or the amp end.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Do not mix prices for snake oil into equation, nothing to do.

You tell me jumpers are technically better than biwiring?! Whatever you want to believe, ok.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I'm sorry, this reasoning is illogical. It will always look like a single speaker per channel no matter whether you jumper it at the speaker end or the amp end.
Lack of clarity on my part here. If you attach both wires to the same output on the amplifier, you're correct of course. I was thinking of @JktHifi's proposal, using one set of speaker outputs for each wire. Then, the sections of the speaker may look like different speakers to the amp.

As the total load would still be the same, it would depend on how the two outputs are set up: and you're probably already in difficulty with single wiring. And if there;'s just switches for the speaker pairs, still the same, as you say.

Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor

You tell me jumpers are technically better than biwiring?! Whatever you want to believe, ok.
Single and biwiring, assuming that correct cable is used, should be identical in practice in all but a tiny number of possible edge cases. So not technically better... you're simply splitting the signal at the other end of the cable.

OP
G

gregor

@gregor I believe you didn't search hard enough.
Price in Germany for example starting from 360€ pair with free shipping (in Germany of course). As I don't know where are you from nor import tax/shipping cost.
Interesting.

I will check these shops later. Maybe they do not sell to Slovenia.

Thanks

Overseas

Major Contributor
Single and biwiring, assuming that correct cable is used, should be identical in practice in all but a tiny number of possible edge cases. So not technically better... you're simply splitting the signal at the other end of the cable.
Wait, what... identical?! I thought biwiring is nonsense...

Willem

Major Contributor
Interesting.

I will check these shops later. Maybe they do not sell to Slovenia.

Thanks
But be careful, some of these prices are for single speakers, and some are in fact for a different model. But 359 euros should be possible.

JktHifi

Lack of clarity on my part here. If you attach both wires to the same output on the amplifier, you're correct of course. I was thinking of @JktHifi's proposal, using one set of speaker outputs for each wire. Then, the sections of the speaker may look like different speakers to the amp.

As the total load would still be the same, it would depend on how the two outputs are set up: and you're probably already in difficulty with single wiring. And if there;'s just switches for the speaker pairs, still the same, as you say.
Not all people get the benefit of bi-wiring. It could be the speaker cable, cross-over inside the speaker, etc.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Wait, what... identical?! I thought biwiring is nonsense...
I didn’t say that

…but it sort of follows that using twice as much wire as needed is a bit pointless.

I don’t advise people to adopt it. However, if you have done it and have a subjective preference, I wouldn’t change to single wiring because there’s no objective difference either. If you’re curious you could always test for a measured difference and see where it takes you.

raindance

Major Contributor

This forum is about science, not uninformed beliefs.

Overseas

Major Contributor
So science says feeding separately is ALWAYS worse than jumpers.

JktHifi

Would you care to explain the science behind this statement?
I don't have the science. It's only my personal experience.
But you have to play it loud to hear the difference. The louder, the clearer the bass separated from the vocal/treble. That's why I don't need sub because wasting money, for me.

Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
OP
G

gregor

Hello again

If I go one or two steps lower.

Which speakers do you recommend for around 300 EUR / USD?

Thank you

Kind regards

Top Bottom