• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

bookshelf speakers for Yamaha stereo receiver

gregor

Hello

I have Yamaha R-S202D stereo receiver (FM, DAB+, BLUETOOTH).

Clipboard01.jpg

I'm looking for pair of bookshelf speakers, which will be good match for this stereo receiver.

In which price range should I look? Around 300 EUR or less, more?

What speaker will you recommend? White color will be a plus point.

Maybe Triangle Borea BR03, for 400 EUR. Is this too good, too expensive speaker for this receiver?

Clipboard01.jpg

Thank you

Kind regards

Achim1812

I do not know the Triangles. But I know the Q Acoustic 3010i and 3020i as well as the Dali Spector 1 & 2.
These maybe mainstream and not very sophisticated but in this price range I am quite sure they are worth a look. But, as always, no recommendation can replace a trial in your room.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

JktHifi

The amp has 2 speakers terminals A and B. Utilize it by using speaker that has 2 terminals as well, bi-wiring (not bi-amping)

Galliardist

Major Contributor
The amp has 2 speakers terminals A and B. Utilize it by using speaker that has 2 terminals as well, bi-wiring (not bi-amping)
… and you’ll get no difference from using one set of cables.

JktHifi

… and you’ll get no difference from using one set of cables.
at least, you don’t waste the B. Everything on the amp should be utilized as much as possible.
As long as bi-wiring doesn’t reduce the sound quality, why not?

OP
G

gregor

I do not know the Triangles. But I know the Q Acoustic 3010i and 3020i as well as the Dali Spector 1 & 2.
These maybe mainstream and not very sophisticated but in this price range I am quite sure they are worth a look. But, as always, no recommendation can replace a trial in your room.
I checked Q-Acustic, in white color I can get 3020i for around 350 EUR.
And Dali Spector 2 in white, for 230 EUR.

Thank you your suggestion.

OP
G

gregor

How about Wharfdale?, Amir quite liked them: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...wharfedale-diamond-12-1-review-speaker.26780/

Also available in white-ish: https://www.richersounds.com/wharfedale-diamond-12-1-light-oak.html

There's also a slightly larger version in budget that has better bass extension, although I haven't seen measurements, but it might be worth a look if you can audition both: https://www.richersounds.com/wharfedale-diamond-12-2-light-oak.html
Yes, I forgot on Diamond 12.1. and 12.2 series.
I get get them for 270 EUR and 450 EUR

Thank you

OP
G

gregor

Is it worth to buy speakers in 400 EUR price range for this stereo receiver?
To ask in different way, is this receiver good enough to run such speakers?

Or do I for example buy lower cost Diamond 12.1. for 270 EUR, or Dali Spector 2 for 230 EUR...

What about Borea BR03 from Triangle? I watched some good reviews on YT, most of them are quite old. Maybe this speaker is now already obsolete?
I can get better sound with other alternatives mentioned...?

Thanks

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Or do I for example buy lower cost Diamond 12.1. for 270 EUR, or Dali Spector 2 for 230 EUR...

What about Borea BR03 from Triangle? I watched some good reviews on YT, most of them are quite old. Maybe this speaker is now already obsolete?

Thanks
The amp is good enough for almost any speaker, the cost has nothing to do with it. You could run KEF Reference 1 Meta, which is a bit inefficient speaker, that sets you back 10k, listening at 3 meters @ 85dB and have 10dB of headroom.

Achim1812

In my old-fashioned opinion the speaker (beside the cartridge, if a turntable is on board) is the most important part of a stereo chain. When I started with our passion in the late 60ties there was something like a rule to spend at least half of the budget for the speakers.
So the Yamaha will produce a lot of fun with the suggested speakers.

RosalieTheDog

Thanks
I like the Borea BR03, they are good speakers. They should be easy to drive. However, I have not compared them to the other mentioned models. Does your vendor allow for a testing period or can you take your amplifier to a shop to listen to them (ignore the salesmen trying to sell you more expensive amps ...).

SMc

Refurbished R-S202 units are dirt cheap online. One seller includes a warning against using two sets of low impedance speakers at the same time:
CAN ONLY USE 8 OHM SPEAKERS. WILL NOT ALLOW A+B TO PLAY TOGETHER UNLESS SPEAKERS ARE 16 OHMS

I doubt this will be a problem in normal use with a single set of speakers but it could be a consideration.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
at least, you don’t waste the B. Everything on the amp should be utilized as much as possible.
As long as bi-wiring doesn’t reduce the sound quality, why not?
Everything? My sister’s amp has a 10db bass boost function and a DAT specific input. I’ll remind her she has to use everything on her amp and see what response she has to that.

Seriously, your advice here is pointless.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I believe this receiver is rated at 140W/channel into 4 ohms so I would treat it as slightly less than the rated output into 8. It should drive reasonably insensitive speakers.

You need to concern yourself with that, rather than price.

I would avoid speakers that have a point of very low impedance: that would rule out the expensive KEFs mentioned above. All the other models should work.

But to give a best set of suggestions we need to know how the speakers are to be used. The speakers needed for a desktop setup, or listening from several metres away in a big room would be quite different, for example.

OP
G

gregor

Thank you for your answers.

This audio sistem will be used in room with dimension around 5 x 5 m.

It will mostly be used for random listening DAB+ radio, less BT.

I can spend 400-500 EUR for speakers. I got receiver for free.

Any other augestion for speakers in this price range?

How to do bi-wiring on this receiver?

Thank you

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Try to find Elac DBR62's for a good price which is probably best you can get for that money.
I have Q3030i's which are not bad with R-N402D but I ended up using it only as an power amplifier Q3030i's ports plugged and with two subwoofer's.
AB class Yamahas aren't very tolerant to low impedance loads so advice is to go with speakers that won't deep under 4 Ohms.

Last edited:

JLGF1

KEF  Q150 white.jpg

JktHifi

Everything? My sister’s amp has a 10db bass boost function and a DAT specific input. I’ll remind her she has to use everything on her amp and see what response she has to that.

Seriously, your advice here is pointless.
Volume knob position at least 12 o’clock. Below than that means you’re not utilizing it.

Penelinfi

Thanks
I run $9k speakers with a $65 most likely T amp that you can get cheaper. It's fine because I don't listen loud. (It's also a temporary thing, but has stayed longer than expected as I didn't miss much from swapping it in)
It sure sounds better that using a 9k amp with $65 speakers . So I'd say to just get speakers that will suit your listening requirements and decor if that's important.

There's plenty of nice bookshelf speakers in the lower price ranges

Top Bottom