• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Boenicke W5 DIY

Germinal

I was just wondering if anyone has already seen this Video and what your thoughts are. Is this the normal in high end audio ? I knew the margins are high but Seems like this 5-10k speaker is using around 300-400 dollars for parts ?? the drivers only cost around 30 dollars each.

Honestly I would feel scammed if I’d bought this speaker.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Not unusual for expensive speakers to use cheap parts look at the Kii Three’s drivers for example, but this is such a very poor loudspeaker .
Keith

tw99

It's not unusual for a retail price for any non-commodity item to be 5x the manufacturing cost. So it's probably not far off that, once you factor in making the cabinet and assembly.

That said, I don't think these speakers offer good value at all compared to what else is available.

OP
G

Germinal

Thanks for the reply.. I was thinking about a Boenicke for in the living Room.. W8.. buT after seeing this.. No thanks

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Boenicke is selling these crap speakers for ridiculous prices. Heard them once, more story and concept than performance.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
But it was his vision, the child that he wrenched from the creative womb, and the idea that a speaker is a transducer that simply reproduces the signal as accurately as possible is so passé.
Keith

OP
G

Germinal

Boenicke is selling these crap speakers for ridiculous prices. Heard them once, more story and concept than performance.
What are considered good price performance speakers for a larg(er) room ? Around 80m2

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
What are considered good price performance speakers for a larg(er) room ? Around 80m2
There are a few things you maight consider, for example:

1. Budget.
2. How important are looks? Do you want speakers that looks nice in a living room, or is performance paramount and you'd be happy with something a more utilitarian.
3. What is your room like? Is it sparsely furnished with large windows and hard floors, in which case it's going to be tricky to get things to sound great and you might want to budget for some room treatment. This may not necessarily mean putting acoustic panels all over the walls, but perhaps a thick rug on the floor and heavy curtains, maybe a strategically placed bookshelf, an extra sofa, things that make the room less reflective and deaden echos.

Top Bottom