• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

body snatchers hi-fi

Andysu

Major Contributor
any idea on the hi-fi here seen in , invasion of the body snatchers 1978
receiver and turntable

bshf.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The turntable (which is actually configured in that photo as a changer)is a BIC.
I am not absolutely sure which one -- looks like either a 940 or 960. The arm looks like a 940 [EDIT: make that 920, see below!] (note shape of the pivot and the Philips-style sliding weight to set the tracking force) but the base looks to be woodgrained, which was not found on the 940 AFAIK (EDIT: yeah, at least early 940s could be had with woodgrained bases!) That said, the bases were probably interchangeable, and the props departments seemed to like to fiddle with things like that in movies. ;)

EDIT: Actually it was the 920 that used the sliding weight on the arm to set VTF! The 920 was very much 'entry level', with a 10 inch platter, though!
Still, it looks like some BIC model to me! It's not a Philips (e.g., a GA-212 or 312) -- that little clampy thing on the left rear side is a dead giveaway that it was capable of stacking. Philips had a stacking changer in those days (GA-406, see the Gordon Miller Music page scan I posted above) but it looked very different.

s-l1200.jpg

Gonna have to get back to you about the receiver. :) It looks pretty generic. My reflex reaction is maybe a Nikko, but I will have to look more carefully.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That receiver has put Sony in my mind. I think a Sony.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
OK, let me flail away at the receiver! :)
I do think it's a Nikko -- maybe a smaller one (looks like only one meter for the tuner) like this one: NR-515 (?)

blog-stereonomono-Nikko-NR-515-1.jpg

index.php

The size, shape and position of the logo looks right, and the Nikkos of that era have dial graphics that are different than the big name receivers of the era -- note the long "lines" above each FM frequency label.

@Doodski I ain't seein' anything very Sony-esque about it, FWIW.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I do think it's a Nikko -- maybe a smaller one (looks like only one meter for the tuner) like this one: NR-515 (?)

index.php

The size, shape and position of the logo looks right, and the Nikkos of that era have dial graphics that are different than the big name receivers of the era -- note the long "lines" above each FM frequency label.

It looks a lot like a old Sony that my parents had for years. Very much like it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you thinking about an earlier Sony like the STR-7055?
c910cd77-3328-4306-94ed-b3b6ec3593d5.jpg

Or something like the smaller, later, STR-1800?
s-l1200.webp

Leaf through the Sony receivers at https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony.shtml?category=stereo-receiver
or https://audio-heritage.jp/SONY-ESPRIT/amp/index3.html and see if you find a match (either to Jeff Goldblum's above or to your parents)! :)
It looked more like the Sony STR-7055 that you showed. But it never had that wide band of metal across the top or bottom. It was a good looking Sony and not so plain as the ones you showed. The STR-7055 is close but different.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor

index.php

you must be a body snatcher , good eye and recall you have i wouldn't have guessed as not used that brand

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It looked more like the Sony STR-7055 that you showed. But it never had that wide band of metal across the top or bottom. It was a good looking Sony and not so plain as the ones you showed. The STR-7055 is close but different.
There was a whole series in those days (early 1970s). Very capable receivers (very good tuners). Rather sought-after today, although not all that popular when new (probably because they skewed towards the expensive). Leaf through the models at www.hifiengine.com (and/or audio-heritage.jp) and see if you can find it. The North American, Japanese, and ROW models, of course, varied a bit by market.

I had a few of the old Sonys (dump finds all). They all worked, but none was really in good enough condition to keep. I eventually gave them all away.
Don't even have photos of some of them.
SonySTR60553_zpsf410752c.jpg

STR-6055
1690031315002.jpeg

STR-V2 (BOTL of the late-70s series that were probably the best-known Sony hifi components in the US).

I had some "blackout dial" models, too -- but no photos of those handy. :)
Sorry for the digression, @Andysu!:facepalm:

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Definitely not a Sony. I don't recall any Sonys with the 'floating' tuner knob like the pic. I have a 7055 and an STR-6800.

That Nikko looks like a perfect fit. Nikkos are pretty good stuff, but not being a well known brand at least domestically, fewer were sold and these days even fewer survived. I've got a bunch of their power amps but those have a very different design language. If you were decorating a movie set and randomly grabbing used stuff for cheap at the tail end of the '70s, an oddball BIC table and older Nikko receiver would make sense for what you'd end up with.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
@mhardy6647 its the nikko nr515 , the scene in movie shows it but is more focused on the other character so its the nikko as the typeface letterheads appear be the same even thou its out of focus the rest of it fits the nikko , well done you have good eye

Top Bottom