• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BIS are to be acquired by Apple

Sashoir

Forum Donor
Announced on the home page https://www.bis.se/.
I harbour an invincible dread that the outcome will eventually be no more BIS discs or downloads, just their botched primephonic rebadge.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a few BIS recordings. They are some of the best I own. I too fear they'll mess it up somehow. Hopefully not, but odds are they will. I saw the announcement yesterday too.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
BIS I'd not heard of before....what are some of their notable achievements?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a 20 year old interview with the founder. They are not quite so minimalist anymore, but use quality gear, in great halls and tasteful processing. We had a thread here somewhere of which recordings had the greatest actual dynamic range. Someone suggested a few of theirs. And they had the greatest dynamic range I could find.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a 20 year old interview with the founder. They are not quite so minimalist anymore, but use quality gear, in great halls and tasteful processing. We had a thread here somewhere of which recordings had the greatest actual dynamic range. Someone suggested a few of theirs. And they had the greatest dynamic range I could find.

Thanks, that link seems to have load issues for now....but what significant recordings are there to judge by?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is one I consider an excellent recording from BIS. I downloaded it from this site, but you can buy it in a SACD/CD from Amazon. I have it in stereo and 5.0 surround.

Elkerton

I wonder if the purchase is with an eye to BIS's multichannel library.

amadeuswus

Forum Donor

If BIS founder Robert von Bahr were asked that, he might single out the Bach Collegium Japan's set of Bach's sacred cantatas, which was once available as a limited edition set of 55 sacds. The set is out of print, but individual discs and downloads will probably still be available.

("No other project ever meant more to me.")

I recently placed two orders on the BIS website. To my amazement, von Bahr packed the shipments himself, using sheets of vintage stamps from his collection as postage. We had a nice email exchange at the time. I cannot imagine that this sort of thing would still happen under Apple's stewardship. (As of this moment, the BIS website seems to be down as part of the overhaul.)

By the way, I hope BIS will continue to make the following "vocal package" available. It was the second order I placed. If you missed out on the Sacred Cantatas box, it's a way to get all of those SACDs and more for a reasonable cost.

Bach Collegium Japan special vocal package Christmas ...​

BIS Records
https://bis.se › bach-collegium-japan-special-vocal-pac...

We have created a special package (79 SACDs) with basically all of J.S. Bach's vocal music, played by the Bach Collegium Japan under Masaaki Suzuki.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If BIS founder Robert von Bahr were asked that, he might single out the Bach Collegium Japan's set of Bach's sacred cantatas, which was once available as a limited edition set of 55 sacds. The set is out of print, but individual discs and downloads will probably still be available.

("No other project ever meant more to me.")

I recently placed two orders on the BIS website. To my amazement, von Bahr packed the shipments himself, using sheets of vintage stamps from his collection as postage. We had a nice email exchange at the time. I cannot imagine that this sort of thing would still happen under Apple's stewardship. (As of this moment, the BIS website seems to be down as part of the overhaul.)

By the way, I hope BIS will continue to make the following "vocal package" available. It was the second order I placed. If you missed out on the Sacred Cantatas box, it's a way to get all of those SACDs and more for a reasonable cost.

Bach Collegium Japan special vocal package Christmas ...

BIS Records
https://bis.se › bach-collegium-japan-special-vocal-pac...
We have created a special package (79 SACDs) with basically all of J.S. Bach's vocal music, played by the Bach Collegium Japan under Masaaki Suzuki.
So, fairly obscure recordings?

SoundsGood64

BIS has many great recordings. The Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe noted above sonic happiness. Another is the SACD set for Sibelius 7 symphonies + Kullervo from Minnesota Orchestra and Osmo Vanska, very nice especially in 5ch...and included in the box are the little books from the original single CDs.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
BIS has many great recordings. The Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe noted above sonic happiness. Another is the SACD set for Sibelius 7 symphonies + Kullervo from Minnesota Orchestra and Osmo Vanska, very nice especially in 5ch...and included in the box are the little books from the original single CDs.
Seems pretty obscure and limited to me....

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Daphnis et Chloe is one of my favorite pieces of music. I mostly listen to rock and blues. I also listen to some of many other things. If it is not your cup of tea that is fine. BIS does mostly classical. Sibelius is another one of their excellent recordings.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They make great recordings. I hope they keep doing it.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
LOL true, the classical stuff doesn't mean a lot to me. Then again is there much fussing over them?
Obviously, it depends on who you ask.

Top Bottom