• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamic T1 Review (V2 headphone)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Add me to the list of people who seriously considered this within the last year and is relieved not to have it now. This is great information to have, and provides a better data point complimentary to the 990/250 Pro than any 880, 770, 1990, 1880, 1770, or XX would now. Thanks Amir!

ishouldbeking

Can you please clarify? Is it 600ohm vs 250/80 distinction?

I can't say whether or how much they vary in measurements, but both Pro and "premium" (actually called "Edition") models come in multiple impedances and mainly vary in that the Edition model has a prettier enclosure design and a nicer looking headband, while the Pro model has the stock rubbery pleather headband and a much clampier headband overall. The clamp may impact the way you perceive the sound. They also both come in silver and black models, and the black pads are known to impact the sound a bit (slightly more bass, but most folks don't find it a positive improvement).

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The measurements can be found anywhere by anyone. But it's the message, the brutality, the opinion that really made it.
With most others it's like 'oh great measurements' and that's it. Crinacle does this somewhat but nothing like Amir. :D

Amir's brutal honesty is one of the things that make his reviews so great. Personally, I couldn't do it, but I'm so glad that he can and does.

Tks

Major Contributor
Well you can say that about pretty much any expensive audio product.
Does a $4K Benchmark offer a better !audible! quality than a $500 Hypex amp?
Does a $1K DAC offer better objective, audible quality than a $200 DAC?
Does a $3.5K Sopra speaker sound objectively better (not just different tuning) than a $450 Aria speaker?

If you ask me, the value proposition is blurry on all of these fronts, even on the speaker side.
Would we be able to ABX a Sopra from an Aria if both were EQ'd to the same target?

At some point, you will be paying for fancier looks, pride of ownership, exotic materials and your brain will trick you into "this sounds so much better!" when the real differences are barely audible at best.

The comparisons you brought up aren't really relevant. No one here (that I know) is actually buying a $1,000 DAC if they're seeking "audible sound quality". It's pretty much everything else aside from audible sound quality.

:facepalm: I can't read apparently, you address this at the end of your post. Sorry.

Last edited:

m8o

Forum Donor
To anyone who has spent some time with it, is this a headphone probe to sibilance?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An audio device which requires 5db eq bands is not hifi. Looking forward to a good headphone being identified.

marsboer

Forum Donor
I had this. It had absolutely no redeeming sonic qualities. Headphone guys on internet forum insisted on it being the RME ADI-2 DAC FS's fault. I laughed, took the loss and sold the turd. Even compared to my HE-500 and HD800 I still have a Beyer as my allround favorite, but not one of the usual suspects. It's actually the relatively cheap Beyerdynamic MMX300 v2 that no audiophile even considers because of the mic.

ishouldbeking

I had this. It had absolutely no redeeming sonic qualities. Headphone guys on internet forum insisted on it being the RME ADI-2 DAC FS's fault. I laughed, took the loss and sold the turd. Even compared to my HE-500 and HD800 I still have a Beyer as my allround favorite, but not one of the usual suspects. It's actually the relatively cheap Beyerdynamic MMX300 v2 that no audiophile even considers because of the mic.
Yeah, I've seen folks claim that you need Beyerdynamic's own headphone amplifier to "get the most out of" the higher end Beyerdynamic headphones. And of course the most notable thing about the Beyer amp is that it's output impedance is something obscenely high like 100 ohms.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Bad headphones at a premium price. Is it so difficult to control distortion and improve frequency response (and impedance)?
Control distortion of bass probably yes. But otherwise their older headphones are miles better including recently reviewed dt990 pro (which is not even recommended btw).

Anmol

Forum Donor
Yeah, I've seen folks claim that you need Beyerdynamic's own headphone amplifier to "get the most out of" the higher end Beyerdynamic headphones. And of course the most notable thing about the Beyer amp is that it's output impedance is something obscenely high like 100 ohms.
I do have T1 2nd gen and use to own Beyer's A20 Amp. I sold A20 because Atom was audibly better than A20. I have listened Beyer T1 2nd gen via L30, archel2-5-pro and Atom. For some magical reason, aforementioned GESHELLI sounds good together with T1.

RighteousNuts

Out of all the headphones I own, the DT 770 pro and the DT 1990 are my least favorite. Beyers broadcast headphones ( the DT 290) is pretty solid though.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Do you guys like these comparisons?

Yes I do, thanks for making them - after all it's the total EQ curve that really matters, rather than any individual filter (and petty bickering about 'superfluous' decimal places on these filters' Q-values as we've seen in other threads). Your comparisons seem to show that the (total) positive-gain peaks of Oratory's EQ curves generally have lower Q and gain where possible, to increase the chance of covering the intended FR dip, and decrease the chance of an inadvertent and potentially egregious doubling up with an adjacent FR peak of the headphone due to unit, channel or placement variation (the equivalent with dips less important due to them being less audible than peaks). Obviously averaging over these three variables as Oratory does mitigates against this even further. I do notice some oddities in your Peace EQ graphs though that could be misleading to the casual viewer, like sharp pointy edges on some peaks/dips that shouldn't be there, which seem to just be pixilation issues. These could be improved by enlarging the Peace graph window as much as possible and increasing the 'frequency curve resolution' to say 2 pixels. You might also want to change the 'gain scale' gridlines to 1 dB to more easily see the peak/dip extrema levels. Just a shame Peace doesn't allow more gradations on the frequency scale too as the frequency is a bit hard to determine for some parts of the EQ curves as is. There are also slight differences from Oratory's total EQ curve e.g. in the T1 Peace EQ curve the mini-peak at 7 kHz is slightly higher than the one at 11 kHz, yet with the former it's the other way around (I've checked in both Neutron Player for android and the Qudelix 5K app and they both match Oratory's, which I've posted below):

T1_TotalEQ.png

So it looks like there might be some small implementation errors with Equalizer APO (or maybe it's just the graphical calculation of the total EQ curve in Peace, hard to tell).

Last edited:

samwell7

shure srh840
etymotic er4s
hifiman ananda

then k612, hd58x
Really depends what your use-case is and how loud you're listening.

If a headphone annoyed me enough that I couldn't listen to it without EQ I'd sell/return it (and have done so many times in the past).

Sure they can all be improved with EQ but I don't buy in to the fact that it's necessary

Top Bottom