• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

better to sell turntable with cartridge, or sell them separately?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What the subject says. I have a 1980s-era 'boutique' (though not 'high end') belt-drive TT, Systemdek IIx, equipped with a Shure V15 MR cart, not used in decades but checked out in a shop and all verified to be in good working condition. Would I maximize sale $$$ by selling them together, or separately?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my view, separately. Not everyone that wants the Systemdek will want the cartridge, and anyone looking for a Shure V15 will most likely also have a turntable.

Both are very desireable items, so should sell well. The only issue I would have with the cartridge is the number of hours of use. A shop is unlikely to be able to measure stylus wear, so unless you have some idea of hours usage, if I were buying the cartridge, I would ignore the stylus and just price the body as I would expect to have to buy a replacement like the Jico, or a retip from Expert Stylus.

S.

OP
K

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Bought the TT new around the same time as CDs appeared, so it was regularly used for relatively few years. Used literally a handful of times between the 80s and now. I'm not even sure the cart is the original one.

Generally: a stylus like this is diamond-tipped. So I'm skeptical stylus wear is really much of a "thing" (yes, I know it's supposed to be from 'dust' that is 'worn off' of the stylus by ...playing a plastic record. I used to inspect my styli under a binocular microscope to make sure they were clean)

Given the godawful amount of internet nonsense TTphiles (talking about what I've seen over decades, not you) post about all things related to the technology, I've yet to be convinced. A clear data set of scanning electron microphotographs of new vs X number of plays would be nice, but then there accounting for possible poor setup/alignment as a cause, versus simply play number.

Top Bottom