• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beta Test: Multitone Loopback Analyzer software

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry I've not been testing your recent releases. But loud pops, etc with DSD, just one more reason not to do DSD. Of course you know my feelings about DSD. While I've not done testing so much, I have used your latest releases and you have it so well developed kudos.

Thanks, Dennis, yes, well aware of your feeling re: DSD, I was fully expecting you to comment :)

Native ASIO DSD is a strange beast, and from what I've found, very poorly documented, probably because it's proprietary, with almost no working examples on the web. (ChatGPT was very helpful -- not! -- by generating code that looked almost right, except that it was completely unusable as it made up all the functions and libraries that it used, and even gave me helpful links to websites and projects for those libraries... that also never existed! Talk about hallucinations!)

My audio library, while not perfect with PCM, was much less helpful with native DSD -- there was zero support for it, so I had to implement it from scratch. While DSD may not be for everyone, I'm glad I finally got this off my plate ;)

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
  • Fixed: two channel ASIO output with multi-channel devices playing on all available channels
Hi, I did a quick test, and it looks OK on outputs (if I set 9+10 for example, only these two channels have a signal), but there's nothing on the inputs channels.

L+R are getting a signal, every other X+Y are not
Even with L+10, both are sending signal, and no other channel which is perfect, but only the L input gets a signal back

If I use L+10 OUT and L IN only, L signal is OK
If I use L+10 OUT and 10 IN only, no signal to measure

It seems to be a bit different with 9+10:
with 9+10 OUT and 9 IN only, 9 signal is OK
with 9+10 OUT and 10 IN only, 10 signal is OK
with 9+10 OUT and 9+10 IN, no signal to measure

Need confirmation from @Rantapossu to be sure

Last edited:

Rantapossu

It seems to be a bit different with 9+10:
with 9+10 OUT and 9 IN only, 9 signal is OK
with 9+10 OUT and 10 IN only, 10 signal is OK
with 9+10 OUT and 9+10 IN, no signal to measure

Need confirmation from @Rantapossu to be sure

This part I can confirm:

Input 9+10 and Output 9+10 active on the matrix:

1702485496159.png

but still:

1702485521127.png

Rantapossu

Some other combinations:

1+2 -> 1+2: Ok
3+4 -> 3+4: "No sound detected"
5+6 -> 5+6: "No sound detected"
7+8 -> 7+8: "No sound detected"
9+10 -> 9+10: "No sound detected", like mentioned above...

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Grooved

OK, please try this (uninstall previous 1.0.99, first): https://app.box.com/s/ue7ll9xmvwogst817x2l1xg09opvgy47

One limitation of this fix when using ASIO drivers: only two consecutive channels can be recorded simultaneously. 9+10 is fine, 10+9 is fine, 5+6, 1+2, 3+2, etc.

Playback can be on any two channels, non-consecutive is fine.

Great work, as usual!
It looks like the routing is OK too (I used pair made of 1 DA/AD loopback and one D/D, easiest to follow each signal)
And indeed, the limitation is only on the recording pair (if non consecutive are selected, only the first channel is recorded)

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Great work, as usual!
It looks like the routing is OK too (I used pair made of 1 DA/AD loopback and one D/D, easiest to follow each signal)
And indeed, the limitation is only on the recording pair (if non consecutive are selected, only the first channel is recorded)

Thanks for reporting and testing! The limitation of consecutive channels comes from the fact that I can either process two recording channels that are next to each other, or process all of the channels available on the device, simultaneously. That could mean up to 128 channels of data being processed in real time, even if I need only two channels out of 128.

Rantapossu

OK, please try this (uninstall previous 1.0.99, first): https://app.box.com/s/ue7ll9xmvwogst817x2l1xg09opvgy47

One limitation of this fix when using ASIO drivers: only two consecutive channels can be recorded simultaneously. 9+10 is fine, 10+9 is fine, 5+6, 1+2, 3+2, etc.

Playback can be on any two channels, non-consecutive is fine.

Yep:

1+2 -> 1+2: Ok
3+4 -> 3+4: Ok
5+6 -> 5+6: Ok
7+8 -> 7+8: Ok
9+10 -> 9+10: Ok

Superb job!

Grooved

...That could mean up to 128 channels of data being processed in real time, even if I need only two channels out of 128.
All the 128... ouch!

Just a small thing if you can: extending the width of this box, especially now that number can goes up to 128, because once it's entered, only the first channel and half of the second are displayed (or only the first if channel number is 100 or higher):
channels selection box.PNG

Last edited:

Grooved

@pkane
Is there a preset that I missed, or an advice to get a clean chart regarding filters?
To get something like in the ADI-2/4 Pro SE thread:

ADI-2-4 Pro SE - Filters.jpg

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@pkane
Is there a preset that I missed, or an advice to get a clean chart regarding filters?
To get something like in the ADI-2/4 Pro SE thread:

View attachment 334082

What @Sokel did works well. Use slightly longer FFT sizes to reveal finer detail in the frequency response.

When using two different devices, one to play, the other to record at a higher sample rate, you'll need to use lots of averages with White Noise as the signal. Since it's noise with a mean and standard deviation, the more samples (averages) you collect, the closer the result will approach the average and look like a line.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Multitone v1.0.99 is now officially released.

Changes in v1.0.99

• Add: support for Native DSD output on ASIO, up to 1024x48kHz sample rates
  • Fix: CSV spectrum file export to use US decimal point notation for locales where comma is used
  • Fix: two channel ASIO output with multi-channel devices playing on all available channels
  • Fix: recording wasn’t working from higher level channels, now works up to 128 channels, with any two consecutive channels being recorded
  • Change: the mouse coordinate tracker display is moved further up so as to not obscure where the mouse is pointing
  • Add: the option to display THD panel with or without the list of harmonics
  • Fix: the save plot image option reversing PNG and JPEG image formats
  • Change: widen channel selectors to allow for two and three digit channel numbers

Metazoa

I encountered a strange error. I haven't updated in quite some time and today I updated to the latest version. As a result, all measurements occur as usual, but I do not get a resulting graph, just a blank screen. But at the same time, I normally receive all measurement results in numerical form. It looks like there are some problems with graphics output. I tried changing all the settings, colors, changing the scale, etc. The problem doesn't go away. Perhaps someone has encountered something similar? Thanks for the help.
ma_bug.png

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I encountered a strange error. I haven't updated in quite some time and today I updated to the latest version. As a result, all measurements occur as usual, but I do not get a resulting graph, just a blank screen. But at the same time, I normally receive all measurement results in numerical form. It looks like there are some problems with graphics output. I tried changing all the settings, colors, changing the scale, etc. The problem doesn't go away. Perhaps someone has encountered something similar? Thanks for the help.View attachment 335553

Strange, but doesn't seem like anything that I can reproduce. Do the other plots (waveform or log time) show anything captured? Spectrogram?
Maybe upload the settings file you're using from C:\ProgramData\Multitone Analyzer\_MultitoneDefault.dw

Sokel

Master Contributor
I encountered a strange error. I haven't updated in quite some time and today I updated to the latest version. As a result, all measurements occur as usual, but I do not get a resulting graph, just a blank screen. But at the same time, I normally receive all measurement results in numerical form. It looks like there are some problems with graphics output. I tried changing all the settings, colors, changing the scale, etc. The problem doesn't go away. Perhaps someone has encountered something similar? Thanks for the help.View attachment 335553
Your graph shows positive values,so normally no signal up there.
Did you try hit the "fit all data'?

Top Bottom