• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beta Test: Multitone Loopback Analyzer software

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No,-136db noise for Emu is unreal in any condition,best I have ever managed is -113db in normal conditions.
I think it's Volume control management through windows does something similar with what REW did with the "manual fundamental" setting.

I'm just curious,it's weird!

Probably related to what the ADC is doing with the volume adjustment. Perhaps it's just applying the lower volume level to data after it's digitized.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A preview/test version of Multitone, v1.1.11 is now available: https://app.box.com/s/ue7ll9xmvwogst817x2l1xg09opvgy47

This has a lot of internal changes, and a few enhancements. A lot of code was touched, so lots of testing is needed :)
  • Improved speed of analysis of the waveform
  • Added; a measurement calibration factor (can be used to compensate for gain of an amp or for different dBFS scales between the DAC and ADC)
  • Improved Waveform real-time (oscilloscope) display. Now uses the selected vertical units
  • Improved Spectrum real-time display during averaging, now with updating distortion panel and noise level line
  • Changed: Generated DSD test signal can now contain frequencies higher than 1/2 the base rate
  • Fixed: various small bugs
The calibration factor is in settings window, and can be applied with a calibration file or without. The factor is applied to the captured data before any measurements or analysis:

1714163299872.png

Sokel

Master Contributor
Something is going on with native DSD (DoP is ok).
At the end of the measurement is not like stopping the signal but it's like attenuating it slowly (tested all multipliers,does the same):

DSD native.PNG

Rantapossu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A preview/test version of Multitone, v1.1.11 is now available: https://app.box.com/s/ue7ll9xmvwogst817x2l1xg09opvgy47

This has a lot of internal changes, and a few enhancements. A lot of code was touched, so lots of testing is needed :)
  • Added; a measurement calibration factor (can be used to compensate for gain of an amp or for different dBFS scales between the DAC and ADC)
  • Improved Waveform real-time (oscilloscope) display. Now uses the selected vertical units
  • Improved Spectrum real-time display during averaging, now with updating distortion panel and noise level line
  • Changed: Generated DSD test signal can now contain frequencies higher than 1/2 the base rate
The calibration factor is in settings window, and can be applied with a calibration file or without. The factor is applied to the captured data before any measurements or analysis:

View attachment 366022

Thanks!

Are you sure that you uploaded the correct version?

There isn't the "Calibration Factor" -selector for me:

1714192631883.png

The vertical unit is Watts...

1714192727625.png

....but it doesn't change the Spectrum view:

1714192827884.png

And I can't find any changes considering the Spectrum real-time display during averaging.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Rantapossu

Thanks!

Are you sure that you uploaded the correct version?

There isn't the "Calibration Factor" -selector for me:

View attachment 366075

The vertical unit is Watts...

View attachment 366076

....but it doesn't change the Spectrum view:

View attachment 366077

And I can't find any changes considering the Spectrum real-time display during averaging.

This is strange!

I reinstalled the orignally uploaded version and now it works correctly.

So it was the correct version after all!

Looks good!

Rantapossu

There seems to be something wrong with the displaying of the vertical units on the Waveform -graph...

1714196142808.png

... and the Watts -view looks a little bit strange:

1714196262040.png

The same measurement with dBFS:

1714196330651.png

Rantapossu

All the dBXX -units seems to default to the exponential notation after the restart of MTA:

1714198132668.png

Using the mouse wheel to zoom in and out makes the units more human friendly. Could this be the default view?

1714198247455.png

Entering the values manually directly to the corresponding fields and pressing the Apply!-button seems to do nothing when using the Waveform -view:

1714198689205.png

This works correctly for example with the Spectrum view, but not here. The "+" and "-" -buttons work correctly however.

Last edited:

Guy.Cohen

View attachment 366022
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the new version. I am testing it.
Stupid question: if I want to test external source, like Victor's (Vicnic) oscillator. So, I put external source and push the record button.
The question is: is it possible for the MTA to calculate the THD, THD+N, etc.... I see only peak, RMS.
I guess this has been answered long ago, but currently we have 206 pages to search....

Many thanks,
Guy

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the new version. I am testing it.
Stupid question: if I want to test external source, like Victor's (Vicnic) oscillator. So, I put external source and push the record button.
The question is: is it possible for the MTA to calculate the THD, THD+N, etc.... I see only peak, RMS.
I guess this has been answered long ago, but currently we have 206 pages to search....

Many thanks,
Guy
Are you sure you have routed the oscillator into your ADC?
I gave it a dirty try with foobar as source and it works fine:

External.PNG

Guy.Cohen

Are you sure you have routed the oscillator into your ADC?
I gave it a dirty try with foobar as source and it works fine:

View attachment 366124
Of course my oscillator is connected to ADC and I see the FFT, and can measure 'by hand', by cursor. There are some parameters written but MTD does not compute THD. Of course it is working with external DAC as source controlled by MTA

Sokel

Master Contributor
Of course my oscillator is connected to ADC and I see the FFT, and can measure 'by hand', by cursor. There are some parameters written but MTD does not compute THD. Of course it is working with external DAC as source controlled by MTA
The above pic is MTA just recording foobar,it does not control it.
The only thing different is that it does not show the progression of averages or the little window animation on top during the measurement,it just shows the measurement after it's done.

Guy.Cohen

The above pic is MTA just recording foobar,it does not control it.
The only think different is that it does not show the progression of averages or the little window animation on top during the measurement,it just shows the measurement after it's done.
Maybe I don't understand, you are using a DAC which is played by other software? The MTA only capture?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Maybe I don't understand, you are using a DAC which is played by other software? The MTA only capture?
Yes.
I use foobar's (it's a software media player,it's the one on the right side of MTA) output into EMU's ADC.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There seems to be something wrong with the displaying of the vertical units on the Waveform -graph...

View attachment 366079

... and the Watts -view looks a little bit strange:

View attachment 366080

The same measurement with dBFS:

View attachment 366081
Remember, Watts are linear units, dBFS is logarithmic (edit: in addition power is proportional to square of V, so what looks like a sinusoid when units are V, looks like a different curve when it's V^2 / R).

Last edited:
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All the dBXX -units seems to default to the exponential notation after the restart of MTA:

View attachment 366085

Using the mouse wheel to zoom in and out makes the units more human friendly. Could this be the default view?

View attachment 366086

Entering the values manually directly to the corresponding fields and pressing the Apply!-button seems to do nothing when using the Waveform -view:

View attachment 366087

This works correctly for example with the Spectrum view, but not here. The "+" and "-" -buttons work correctly however.
Yes, that's a known issue: I simply didn't get to implement that yet (the zoom dialog for waveform window) :)
I'll check why the waveform view dBFS defaults to scientific notation. I thought I fixed that already, but looks like in some initial state it's not working.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

For external signal, MTA must pick out one or more fundamentals that your test signal generates, and also distinguish them from any IMD or harmonic distortion that also appears as a possible signal. For this, you need to set the sensitivity level in settings using External Tone Threshold. Set this to a larger number, such as -10dB, for example, which will not consider any of the distortions below -10dB of the peak value as fundamentals:

1714224027657.png

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom