• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bests amplifers ? (Top 5 for FOCAL ARIA 906)

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hello, welcome to ASR.:)

What kind of functionality are you looking for: How many inputs? Tone controls? Loudness functionality? Phono input? Remote control? Sub output?And so on and so forth.

Approximate price? New or used?

Your speakers seem fine! Doesn't dip low in Ohm as it looks. It's good then they are "amp friendly". Sensitivity what you can expect from that type of speaker.:)

How much power is suitable for you depends on a number of factors and you can test for yourself here:

I can mention it now because you will be asked sooner or later. Have you considered adding subwoofers to them? I would have done that anyway, but it's a matter of taste.

FOCAL ARIA 906:
Focal Aria 906 Bookshelf Stand mount speaker spinorama CEA2034 Predicted In-room Response  fre...png

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Before we know more about what you are looking for, what you need, what interests you, you can get tips such as:

Dynaco Dynakit ST-70 Power Amplifier Audio Review.jpg

Or this one:

Topping PA5 Review Stereo Amplifier.jpg

Which one is best for your ARIA 906? It depends on what you are looking for and want. If you want cozy tube glow then an old tube amp ( that you probably need to tinker with and change the electronics in) . Or a good new hum-free amp with good SINAD?

Yup, deliberately chosen examples to show the wide range between different amplifiers. Even between amplifiers with relatively equal (low) power.:)
Okay 31 vs 48 W is quite big, but still.

delta76

Major Contributor
A good amp is a good amp. You need to match the power of the speakers, but in most case that is overestimated.

The most important question is "on what budget?". You can spend $3000 on a benchmark ahb2, or less than $100 on an Aiyima a07 and you likely won't hear much different on your focal 906. If you want something that is not too expensive, from established brand, can last a long time, and "sounds" good (i.e. with reasonably low noise and distortions), Yamaha A-S301

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
Yamaha AS301, 501, 701 and 801 are the go to suggestions for excellent quality for reasonable prices. Thye all have full functionality, including optical and coaxial digital inputs. The AS801 adds usb input and is otherwise idnential to the AS701. The only other difference is power output. The more power the better in many situations.

OP
X

Xaviedie

(PS: I use google translate, I'm French)

I would especially like to use my FOCAL ARIA 906 very well. I have a "MAGNAT monitor supreme sub 302A" SUBwoofer.

I know the "YAMAHA RN-602" which I owned at the time in association with the KEF Q300. I had preferred them to drive the KEF Q300 against the MARRANTZ pm 5xxx + cd xxxx combo by playing a few songs on a USB key. From memory, the YAMAHA RN-602 was richer in detail, better medium, imaging... the sound was more lively... (better to my ears)
The MARRANTZ USB port took a long time before reading the files stored on the USB key, while on the YAMAHA RN-602, once the USB key was plugged in, it immediately detected the files, one thing is certain , I know that the mid-range MARRANTZ are not for me.

My budget is 1500€ and I am looking for the best value for money.
I would like to benefit from a USB input, Airplay etc. (as the YAMAHA RN-602 was) and to use the FOCAL ARIA 602 very very well.
PS: I know the answer => YAMAHA but apart from them, what other amps can do all this?

What do you recommend for the FOCAL ARIA 906 cables to the amp? and stand?

delta76

Major Contributor
It was advised to avoid the RN line of Yamaha. Worse build quality and amplification capacity than A-S line

delta76

Major Contributor
At that price, just buy an avr. X2700h denon fits your bill then some

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you recommend for the FOCAL ARIA 906 cables to the amp? and stand?
Salut,
S'agissant d'ASR, tu n'es possiblement pas tout à fait au bon endroit pour demander des "recommandations" de câbles. On conseillera n'importe quel bon câble, soit avec une résistance suffisamment contenue.
Boulanger propose ce qu'il te faut ici. Tu peux mettre 100 fois ce prix que tu ne pourras entendre la moindre différence.;) Pour les pieds, si tu as le budget : les Focal S900 sont parfaits pour les 906, car vissés dans les enceintes, en plus d'être très esthétiques. Autrement les classiques Norstone Stylum feront le boulot. PS: fais attention de bien virer la traduction quand tu réponds à quelqu'un en le citant, sinon personne n'y comprends rien.;)

Hey,
Since you're on ASR, don't expect anything close to cable recommandation based on synergy or such things. Just about every good speaker cable will fit yours needs. If it is within your budget, think about Focal S900 stands. Otherwise, the pretty basic Norstone Stylum will do the trick.

Now, about the amp: There's not a lot of contenders with streaming/airplay input. You could think about Marantz PM7000N or the Yam 803D (best bang for the buck), before it is sold out forever. CXA81 is acceptable, but don't have any streaming input, nor Airplay. You could either check Rotel A12 or A14, that however do not support streaming.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAB

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 219462
OP did not mention it, but my guess is that he wants something reliable...:p

OP
X

Xaviedie

Salut,
S'agissant d'ASR, tu n'es possiblement pas tout à fait au bon endroit pour demander des "recommandations" de câbles. On conseillera n'importe quel bon câble , soit avec une résistance suffisamment contenue.
Boulanger propose ce qu'il te faut ici . Tu peux mettre 100 fois ce prix que tu ne pourras entendre la moindre différence. ;) Pour les pieds, si tu as le budget : les Focal S900 sont parfaits pour les 906, car vissés dans les enceintes, en plus d'être très esthétiques. Autrement les classiques Norstone Stylum font le boulot . PS : fais attention de bien virer la traduction quand tu réponds à quelqu'un en le citant, sinon personne n'y comprend rien.;)

Hé,
Puisque vous êtes sur ASR, ne vous attendez à rien de proche d'une recommandation de câble basée sur la synergie ou de telles choses. Presque tous les bons câbles d'enceintes répondront à vos besoins. Si cela rentre dans votre budget, pensez aux pieds Focal S900. Sinon, le Norstone Stylum assez basique fera l'affaire.

Maintenant, à propos de l'ampli : il n'y a pas beaucoup de prétendants avec une entrée streaming/airplay. Vous pourriez penser au Marantz PM7000N ou au Yam 803D (le meilleur rapport qualité-prix), avant qu'il ne soit épuisé pour toujours. CXA81 est acceptable, mais n'a pas d'entrée de streaming, pas de diffusion. Vous pouvez soit vérifier Rotel A12 ou A14, qui ne prennent cependant pas en charge le streaming.
I don't listen to streaming, it doesn't matter, rather usb, air play, spdiff are enough for me. Thank you very much.

OP
X

Xaviedie

Before we know more about what you are looking for, what you need, what interests you, you can get tips such as:

View attachment 219461

Or this one:

View attachment 219462

Which one is best for your ARIA 906? It depends on what you are looking for and want. If you want cozy tube glow then an old tube amp ( that you probably need to tinker with and change the electronics in) . Or a good new hum-free amp with good SINAD?

Yup, deliberately chosen examples to show the wide range between different amplifiers. Even between amplifiers with relatively equal (low) power.:)
Okay 31 vs 48 W is quite big, but still.
Didn't know, I'll look. Thx

delta76

Major Contributor
Denon X2700h? stereo amplifier, not home cinema
Well, you have a lot, streamer, dac, amp in one package. Also easier to add a sub which would almost always help.
And that is half a price of the CA

OP
X

Xaviedie

I eliminate one by one, I have selected for the moment:
-Denon X2700h
-YAMAHA AS 801
-CAMBRIDGE AUDIO CXA81
-TOPPING PA5
-DYNACO ST70

May the best win, for FOCAL ARIA 906
(which one do you think you suggest me)