• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bests amplifers ? (Top 5 for FOCAL ARIA 906)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May the best win, for FOCAL ARIA 906
(which one do you think you suggest me)
:rolleyes:

- The Dynaco is not recommended at all.
- I would not recommend the PA5 either, considering its reported reliability to date.
- The A-S801 has been sold out for years... Maybe you could be lucky to find one used.

Last edited:
OP
X

Xaviedie

En tout cas, c'est pas la reconnaissance qui t'étouffe...:rouler des yeux:

- Le Dynaco est déconseillé du tout.
- Je ne recommanderais pas non plus le PA5, compte tenu de sa fiabilité rapportée à ce jour.
- Le A-S801 est épuisé depuis des années... Peut-être aurez-vous la chance d'en trouver un d'occasion.
There is no YAMAHA AS801 replacement?

What do you think of the Denon X2700h? Can a home cinema amplifier be good for Hi-fi? (I did not know)

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO CXA81 or Yamaha AS801?

(THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION)

OP
X

Xaviedie

update*

-Denon X2700h
-YAMAHA AS 801
-CAMBRIDGE AUDIO CXA81

May the best win, for FOCAL ARIA 906 (which one do you think you suggest me)

delta76

Major Contributor
UPDATE*

I eliminate one by one, I have selected for the moment:
-Denon X2700h
-YAMAHA AS 801
-CAMBRIDGE AUDIO CXA81

May the best win, for FOCAL ARIA 906
(which one do you think you suggest me)
Cxa81 has problem with usb input (reviewed here). I guess it is your setup. As 801 looks very solid, but the price hike is quite steep compared to as 701 for just usb input.

And you may ask why x2700h is so cheap for the features. It is much more popular than the other two, and economy of scale applies. And if you want to expand to a home theatre later, it is born ready.

For sound alone I would expect them to be quite close to each other. If anything 906 might not be able to distinguish them. (Don't get me wrong, 906 is a very nice pair, I own ones but they are not the best in revealing)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OT is likely from French, and C700 will be double price of the other options.
I looked at the budget, not the price of the other options ;). Besides, the Cambridge is more expensive. NAD might have some cheaper options as well, so could be worth checking out.

The AVR option isn’t a bad move either. You’ll get some room correction build in, that might be worth it.

delta76

Major Contributor
I looked at the budget, not the price of the other options ;). Besides, the Cambridge is more expensive.
In France, c700 is 1599-1699 eur. Cax81 is 1299, x2700h is 899, as801 is out of stock, the closest as701 is 649 :)

OP
X

Xaviedie

Cxa81 has problem with usb input (reviewed here). I guess it is your setup. As 801 looks very solid, but the price hike is quite steep compared to as 701 for just usb input.

And you may ask why x2700h is so cheap for the features. It is much more popular than the other two, and economy of scale applies. And if you want to expand to a home theatre later, it is born ready.

For sound alone I would expect them to be quite close to each other. If anything 906 might not be able to distinguish them. (Don't get me wrong, 906 is a very nice pair, I own ones but they are not the best in revealing)
THX.

I would use the FOCAL ARIA 906 for the movie and music (video projector) and GENELEC 8030C for the office. Do not worry.

I'm preparing the acoustics too (that's another topic..)

DanielT

Major Contributor
Didn't know, I'll look. Thx
It was to show that before we know more what you are looking for any suggestions can be given, even old 60 year old tube amplifiers.:)
:rolleyes:

- The Dynaco is not recommended at all.
- I would not recommend the PA5 either, considering its reported reliability to date.
- The A-S801 has been sold out for years... Maybe you could be lucky to find one used.
Nah, an old Dynaco. That is mostly for enthusiasts and those who like to tinker with electronics. The reason for that suggestion see my answer above in post to Xaviedie.:)

OP
X

Xaviedie

I'm interested in the Denon X2700h, but is it on par with the others on the music sound quality level? I would also like to listen to music in high restitution from the FOCAL side

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
It is capable of almost all music you can throw at it. Good dac, decent amp. Add a sub and you will be happy. And for movie, add a center (cc900) too

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
if you need some more persuasion, here is the review of the bigger brother:

It should have about equal performance. It does have a bit better room correction though.

delta76

Major Contributor
Some one can correct me but I am using a much older version of Audyssey and it requires at least 5 speakers (surround) to work. My x2700h delivery is unknown, well, it could be calibrating with just 2.1 and that would be very nice

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some one can correct me but I am using a much older version of Audyssey and it requires at least 5 speakers (surround) to work. My x2700h delivery is unknown, well, it could be calibrating with just 2.1 and that would be very nice
Even my Marantz SR6010 does stereo and 2.1 calibration. It 7 years old now.

Top Bottom