• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best wireless ear buds

gallionetech

Hey all,

I’m looking to get a pair of wireless ear buds for working out. currently using 64audio u12ts when working out, but some members got me thinking it would make more sense just to use wireless ear buds to avoid the wire when working out. Anyone have any suggestions? Not price limited. Harman neutral with bass boost preferred.

I’m an iPhone user so considering the AirPods Pro 2s, not sure on sound signature though. Also looking at the AKG N400.

Thanks in advance!

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m an iPhone user so considering the AirPods Pro 2

I haven't tried quite as many TWS IEMs (or IEMs in general) as wireless over-ears, but I think that if you're an iPhone user, you should try the APP2 first and only consider other options later if they don't suit you. I can't stress enough how much convenience and operational qualities matter with such headphones. I have the JBL Live Pro 2 and APP2 at home, and without considering sound quality, it's a night and day difference in terms of how generally more pleasant the APP2 are to use.

Consider some of the Beats options as well, they're also quite well integrated within Apple's ecosystem.

Harman neutral with bass boost preferred.

Do yourself a favour and don't over-analyse IEMs and the IE target then, even more so with TWS IEMs with a feedback mechanism (ie ANC with an inward facing mic).
The aforementioned JBL Live Pro 2 sound nothing like what the over-ears target sounds to me out of the box, and the APP2 are closer to it, albeit not nailing it either (but then no headphones I've tried does without EQ, so...).

Some trial and error might be needed for you to land on something that sounds best to you.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
I’m looking to get a pair of wireless ear buds for working out.

With EQ, the Samsung Galaxy Buds +

These can't match my wired IEM's, but I use them often for pod cast and watching television. With EQ they can be greatly improved for music. They don't have ANC, but do offer considerable passive NC. All ANC I've tried sound rather "wonky" - a technical audio term :p

Excerpt:

In regards to the epithet “Objectivist’s Dream”, the Galaxy Buds+ is (at the time of writing) the closest an IEM as ever gotten to the 2019 Harman In-Ear target. As I’ve mentioned in my Galaxy Buds writeup, this shouldn’t come as much of a surprise given Samsung’s acquisition of Harman International and AKG, and so it should only be expected that the new Buds+ would be even closer than its predecessor in this regard.

Buds-x-Harman-1024x443.png

Last edited:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
With EQ, the Samsung Galaxy Buds +

Quote from Crinacle: "[...] the interesting thing is, despite both sets measuring similarly even in the treble regions, the original Buds doesn’t seem to have the treble timbre issues of the Buds+." This is despite the compliance with the Harman curve:

1676536289516.png

Interesting. I wonder if he made an error in his measurements, or if there is something he is not measuring that Crinacle subjectively described as "shouty".

That was my subjective impression of the Galaxy Buds+ as well, so I was somewhat surprised to learn that they seem to comply with the Harman curve so well. Yes, I know about all the variables that will change the frequency response between measurement dummy and your actual ears (seal, insertion depth, auditory canal length, etc) but in general the region between 300 - 3000Hz should be most accurate. Just goes to show that Harman curve isn't everything.

bevok

With an iPhone I agree with @MayaTlab that the Airpod Pro 2's are an obvious choice. Great balanced sound and excellent noise cancellation plus they integrate really well. I've started playing around with some wired IEM's out of curiosity but any real or imagined improvements over the Airpods are marginal to me and the convenience and ease of use (play pause without pulling out your phone, no cables, compact size, microphone etc) really make them the listening device of choice most of the time.
Galaxy Bud's are apparently good but for an iPhone user the ease of pairing, transferring devices etc probably give Airpods the edge. Main advantage (potentially) of the Bud's would be the EQ but to be honest the Airpods have a nice neutral tuning so I doubt you'll really need to touch them unless you're a tinkerer!

Bam!

With an iPhone I agree with @MayaTlab that the Airpod Pro 2's are an obvious choice. Great balanced sound and excellent noise cancellation plus they integrate really well. I've started playing around with some wired IEM's out of curiosity but any real or imagined improvements over the Airpods are marginal to me and the convenience and ease of use (play pause without pulling out your phone, no cables, compact size, microphone etc) really make them the listening device of choice most of the time.
Galaxy Bud's are apparently good but for an iPhone user the ease of pairing, transferring devices etc probably give Airpods the edge. Main advantage (potentially) of the Bud's would be the EQ but to be honest the Airpods have a nice neutral tuning so I doubt you'll really need to touch them unless you're a tinkerer!
100% for an iPhone user Airpods Pro 2 are without a doubt the best choice. Since I am an Android user Buds 2 pro all the way (and I really hate the ridiculous stem design but that's just me )

Moonhead

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My son just took delivery earlier this afternoon of a new pair of Samsung Galaxy Pro 2s to use with an iPhone 12 Pro my dad lent him. They were substantially discounted. Once he gets in some hours with AC/DC, Iron Maiden, etc. on Tidal I will report back on his subjective findings. He's only 10, but in his opinion he is eminently qualified.

On a side note, my wife is on her second pair of Apple Pro ear buds; the first pair craped out in less than 2 years. :(

leonasj

maybe one of the best is Noble audio focus pro or noble audio mystique. both very similar. but dont have ANC is this you prefer function.

leonasj

Has anyone compared FiiO UTWS5 to all-in-one solutions by Apple and Samsung?
11786847.jpg

(not my picture)
im use utws5+ meze rai penta on iphone. with app fiio with EQ sounds wonderfull and big soundstage,also lots of details.

Attachments

• C5C712A7-B9C5-4ABB-9E25-F82C45393640.jpeg
    C5C712A7-B9C5-4ABB-9E25-F82C45393640.jpeg
    438.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 13AC22F5-E716-414B-A8E5-9E390B919FE8.jpeg
    13AC22F5-E716-414B-A8E5-9E390B919FE8.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 69

astr0b0y

Beats Fit Pro sound way more fun to me than AirPods (either gen). For workouts, AirPods just drop out of my ears. Beats Fit have little lugs that fit in your wing nuts nicely. Nice iOS integration too.

Harryharryharry

I bought my wife the Bose QC 35 ii ear buds and was so impressed with the noise cancelling I bought a pair myself.

We both had the QC 35 ii over ear headphones which the noise cancelling was blown apart by the new earbuds.

In case you're interested in noise cancelling at all...

Harryharryharry

I bought my wife the Bose QC 35 ii ear buds and was so impressed with the noise cancelling I bought a pair myself.

We both had the QC 35 ii over ear headphones which the noise cancelling was blown apart by the new earbuds.

In case you're interested in noise cancelling at all...
You can EQ in the app as well to adjust to your taste.

D

Deleted member 48726

Hey all,

I’m looking to get a pair of wireless ear buds for working out. currently using 64audio u12ts when working out, but some members got me thinking it would make more sense just to use wireless ear buds to avoid the wire when working out. Anyone have any suggestions? Not price limited. Harman neutral with bass boost preferred.

I’m an iPhone user so considering the AirPods Pro 2s, not sure on sound signature though. Also looking at the AKG N400.

Thanks in advance!
The airpods Pro have a feature rather unknown. You can have your personal audiogram taken (for free via an app called "Mimi Hearing Test"). The audiogram file is then loaded into your iPhone and the sound profile is corrected to your personal hearing. This is quite transforming. The sound profile this feature creates through the airpods pro are amazing and I've since I've done it to mine, I've strived to recreate that signature in my living room HiFi system. I know, reflections and so forth, but I've come close enough to settle down on tinkering for months.

Harryharryharry

The airpods Pro have a feature rather unknown. You can have your personal audiogram taken (for free via an app called "Mimi Hearing Test"). The audiogram file is then loaded into your iPhone and the sound profile is corrected to your personal hearing. This is quite transforming. The sound profile this feature creates through the airpods pro are amazing and I've since I've done it to mine, I've strived to recreate that signature in my living room HiFi system. I know, reflections and so forth, but I've come close enough to settle down on tinkering for months.
Those Bose earbuds do that each time you put them in the run a frequency sweep or sorts. Pretty cool 'room correction' is coming to our ears!

D

Deleted member 48726

Those Bose earbuds do that each time you put them in the run a frequency sweep or sorts. Pretty cool 'room correction' is coming to our ears!
Okay. This is not just a sweep. An audiogram is a pretty extensive hearing test with different tones all through the frequency spectrum to compensate for hearing loss etc.

asrUser

Top Bottom