• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best value streamer with no DAC

pieterv1

I have a Synology NAS. I use their DS Audio app on my phone and it works as expected with Wiim (using DLNA protocol): I can search, it has random options, playlists, etc.. everything one would like to have. Again, that is on the DS Audio app, not on the Wiim app. I think it's up to the app you're using with your NAS to stream using DLNA to your DLNA receiver: Wiim in this case. The Wiim app is good for other things. I personally use Wiim app only to stream radio, when I am not using AirPlay, as Spotify&Tidal have their own options (Connect) in their apps.
Thanks for the insight! I've tried a few DLNA apps now and indeed, that seems to be the way to go with the Wiim for music stored on the local network.

Those same apps also support streaming to the Raspberry Pi so I'm probably going to return the Wiim. Until Moode's UI is fixed, I can experiment a little more with those DLNA client apps.

I also noticed that with playback of high resolution (24/192) files, the Wiim takes some time to start playing - especially longer compared to my Raspberry Pi (with ethernet cable). Otherwise, it's a very solid little device for those who want to buy their first streamer.

It seems like for the best experience with local music, a Bluesound Node is probably the way to go - with a much better app? But all of this won't matter that much to me anymore when Spotify launches their Hi-Fi tier.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I used DLNA I found Minimserver provided the best options for sorted viewing. But your music library has to be properly tagged. Minimserver is also very light.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
How does the Wiim do with the usual DLNA pain points like gapless playback and multi-room sync?
Edit: these are areas that aren't impossible in DLNA but require all parts to be capable and play nicely together to achieve it.

How does the Wiim do with the usual DLNA pain points like gapless playback and multi-room sync?
Edit: these are areas that aren't impossible in DLNA but require all parts to be capable and play nicely together to achieve it.

Thanks for the insight! I've tried a few DLNA apps now and indeed, that seems to be the way to go with the Wiim for music stored on the local network.

Those same apps also support streaming to the Raspberry Pi so I'm probably going to return the Wiim. Until Moode's UI is fixed, I can experiment a little more with those DLNA client apps.

I also noticed that with playback of high resolution (24/192) files, the Wiim takes some time to start playing - especially longer compared to my Raspberry Pi (with ethernet cable). Otherwise, it's a very solid little device for those who want to buy their first streamer.

It seems like for the best experience with local music, a Bluesound Node is probably the way to go - with a much better app? But all of this won't matter that much to me anymore when Spotify launches their Hi-Fi tier.

I don't have multi-room sync set-up so I cannot comment on that, but I have no delays when playing high resolution (24/192) files overt DLNA using Synology's DS Audio. For me, there is no difference in waiting time when playing lower res files compared with high res files. Well, almost no difference. At least, for me, I can feel no difference in waiting time: it's almost instantenous. Gapless or not, the time between the tracks (either when playing over DLNA or directly over Airplay or Connect feature) is short enough not be disturbing.

I guess it depends a lot on the DLNA app and server (plus the local area network setup), and perhaps on the NAS type as well. I don't know, I only guess so.. I have a Synology since years and it works perfectly fine. I have never used Bluesounds app, but DS Audio has all the features I need so far.

PS: after more than a year now since the announcement, I am not sure if we will ever see any HiFi tier from Spotify... Anyways, Tidal Connect and DLNA works perfectly fine for my needs over this little Wiim, so, it's all good for me.:cool:

RosalieTheDog

Three other devices I'm curious about:
- Octavio audio streamer. Seems like a hi-res chromecast puck, with an own app though. https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/stre...fect-wifi-bluetooth-24bit-192khz-p-15804.html
- Is EarMen making a streamer called "staccato"? I can't find info about it apart from this teaser.

- WIIM MINI audio streamer. Another hi-res chromecast like, with Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect. This to me seems like a better deal than raspberry pi implementation with Tidal connect (since you need to pay the subscription to Volumio on top of the Tidal subscription).
I flatter myself for seeing the potential of the Wiim in november. :cool:

Anyway, more similar Chromecast-like devices are coming out (seeming bit-perfect through optical, Tidal Connect, internal DAC for people without a dedicated one ...). Like this IEAST Olio, which is priced slightly sharper than the Wiim at €89. Now, if only they also handled the Chromecast protocol.

1655750102602.png

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor

Anyway, more similar Chromecast-like devices are coming out (seeming bit-perfect through optical, Tidal Connect, internal DAC for people without a dedicated one ...). Like this IEAST Olio, which is priced slightly sharper than the Wiim at €89. Now, if only they also handled the Chromecast protocol.

View attachment 213802
They use LinkPlay modules, probably the same one as the WiiM Mini.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I believe the HDMI output is not I2S but true HDMI.
Yes, it is a pure HDMI connection for monitor/TV. No i2s over HDMI output.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning

View attachment 213802
That has analog out ony? I hope the DAC is good.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
It is a shame they discontinued the Chromecast Audio. IIRC Amir measured that it has perfect Coax output!

Chrise36

Major Contributor
The Mi box 4s has usb out optical out its own tidal app chromecast and can be app controlled with wifi from the phone among other features.

Top Bottom