• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best value streamer with no DAC

mike963

When I used DLNA I found Minimserver provided the best options for sorted viewing. But your music library has to be properly tagged. Minimserver is also very light.
yes - currently using Minimserver and loving it - works with Bubbleupnp as a front end to Volumio and Moode and Rps with a library on a synology nas

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
yes - currently using Minimserver and loving it - works with Bubbleupnp as a front end to Volumio and Moode and Rps with a library on a synology nas
I use Volumio running on an RPi, using DLNA provided by minimserver or Media Server on a Synology NAS. How does Bubbleupnp fit into this? What does it add?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Volumio running on an RPi, using DLNA provided by minimserver or Media Server on a Synology NAS. How does Bubbleupnp fit into this? What does it add?
It’s a control point (controls directing music from the server to the streamer, usually from a tablet or other remote device). You are probably using Volumio for that function.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
It’s a control point (controls directing music from the server to the streamer, usually from a tablet or other remote device). You are probably using Volumio for that function.
Thanks, but how is mike963 using it "as a front end to Volumio"?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Presumably Bubble sees the volumio device as an endpoint.
That's how it works for me. I use bubbleupnp to select the music I want from the local server or stream service of my choice and then I can choose which endpoitto send it to. Bubble upnp becomes the whole UI.

mike963

Presumably Bubble sees the volumio device as an endpoint.
yes - should have said I was using it a control point on my tablet or phone. I find the UI fast and responsive and never use the Volumio or Moode UI - once set up.

RP sends to Hip-dac and both run off a power bank so I am sort of portable at leas around the house

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, Bubble integrates multiple-protocol endpoints (like Roon), which is cool.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
yes - should have said I was using it a control point on my tablet or phone. I find the UI fast and responsive and never use the Volumio or Moode UI - once set up.

RP sends to Hip-dac and both run off a power bank so I am sort of portable at leas around the house
Thanks. So it's on the tablet/phone, *not* on the streamer or source? This is starting to make more sense. I use Volumio via its web interface and wish it could show more metadata, so perhaps bubble is what I should be using?

Thanks to everyone trying to clear this up!

Dave543210

I just don't understand some people could've done this for $100 rasp pi, and is happy not having to learn anything and spending $800 !! And he bought something entirely outside the range of his request....The thing he bought has 2 DAC's !!
I can explain from personal experience. I bought an RPi4B and 7" screen (aiming for a Squeezebox Touch experience), installed PiCorePlayer, hooked it up to my DAC via USB (essential for some of the formats I use) and... nothing. The damn Pi/Linux doesn't have a driver for my DAC and doesn't see it. I spent several days going through seven shades of troubleshooting with very kind tech help on a forum, even trying different SW other than PCP, I ran all kinds of tests, but the bottom line is it's just not compatible. The screen looked great, though... That is why some people don't take the beta/DIY/Pi route and prefer to spend more—to get something that will almost certainly work with their DAC.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can explain from personal experience. I bought an RPi4B and 7" screen (aiming for a Squeezebox Touch experience), installed PiCorePlayer, hooked it up to my DAC via USB (essential for some of the formats I use) and... nothing. The damn Pi/Linux doesn't have a driver for my DAC and doesn't see it. I spent several days going through seven shades of troubleshooting with very kind tech help on a forum, even trying different SW other than PCP, I ran all kinds of tests, but the bottom line is it's just not compatible. The screen looked great, though... That is why some people don't take the beta/DIY/Pi route and prefer to spend more—to get something that will almost certainly work with their DAC.
That, and it's incredibly difficult to buy a new Raspberry Pi board in the US these days. :-\

RosalieTheDog

Nice that this thread is back up.

So what after all these pages is the verdict? There seems to be no market for budget streamers with only digital outs. As for the best value streamer, the contest seems won by the Wiim devices.

amper42

Major Contributor
I have three RPi4 units. Each has Moode installed and they work great as an instant streamer. If you have never setup an RPI4 before I would suggest starting with Moode rather than a more complex PiCorePlayer and screen. Moode is very easy and well documented. It's really hard to screw it up. https://moodeaudio.org/

Once you have a working streamer with Moode you can always experiment later with a different OS. It's as easy as inserting a new memory card to try another configuration. If you do run into trouble you can always re-insert the Moode card and be back in business streaming with a simple restart.

Dave543210

Nice that this thread is back up.

So what after all these pages is the verdict? There seems to be no market for budget streamers with only digital outs. As for the best value streamer, the contest seems won by the Wiim devices.
Yes, it's so disappointing to me that 99% of streamers these days have a built-in DAC. They're aiming for the Normie/mass market, as opposed to the audiophile market (where almost everyone already has their own DAC of choice).

For now I'm enjoying a modded Squeezebox Touch which streams up to 24/192 and DSD64 via USB to my Geek Pulse fi DAC. But I wish I could find something similar for when it eventually kicks the bucket (I've had it for about 12 years and it won't go on forever). Sadly the RPi was a fail for me.

Dismayed

I went with a Cambridge Audii CNX v2 because sometimes I want plug and play. I have plenty of other things to for futzing around.

Dave543210

I went with a Cambridge Audii CNX v2 because sometimes I want plug and play. I have plenty of other things to for futzing around.
It's ok I guess for simple plug-and-play. But for me it would be useless as I don't think it even has a USB output, does it? And it doesn't do DSD at all, if I'm not mistaken? I'm actually getting depressed writing this! It's amazing how much you have to pay for such limited technology. Sigh! I need a drink...

Dismayed

It's ok I guess for simple plug-and-play. But for me it would be useless as I don't think it even has a USB output, does it? And it doesn't do DSD at all, if I'm not mistaken? I'm actually getting depressed writing this! It's amazing how much you have to pay for such limited technology. Sigh! I need a drink...
The Cambridge Audio streamer has a built-in DAC. It has optical, coax, and usb output, too.

I’m happy with CD quality sound, but it does support: ALAC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD (x64), WMA, MP3, AAC, HE AAC, AAC+, OGG Vorbis

Dave543210

The Cambridge Audio streamer has a built-in DAC. It has optical, coax, and usb output, too.

I’m happy with CD quality sound, but it does support: ALAC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD (x64), WMA, MP3, AAC, HE AAC, AAC+, OGG Vorbis
Oh, I didn't realise it had a USB output as well. So at least one *can* use it with an external usb DAC. And it does DSD as well... Sounds good in that case!

Anyhoo, I was torn between the Zen Stream and the much more costly Volumio Rivo. I think I'll go for the Rivo because it has an HDMI port to connect a screen. I know it's a complete rip-off compared to an RPi but since my DAC won't work with an RPi it's the best I can do to get close to that SB Touch experience.

Dave543210

I finally gave up and have thrown in the towel! Both the Volumio Rivo and Zen Stream are Linux based, and incompatible with my USB DAC. The Cambridge is pointless for me as it doesn't do any more than my 12-year-old SB Touch so wouldn't be an upgrade. So, I've accepted that what I need just does not exist. 99.999% of streamers include a DAC or amp or both. To hell with that noise! So I'll continue to use the SB Touch. Amazing bit of kit. Hope it lasts!

Dismayed

I finally gave up and have thrown in the towel! Both the Volumio Rivo and Zen Stream are Linux based, and incompatible with my USB DAC. The Cambridge is pointless for me as it doesn't do any more than my 12-year-old SB Touch so wouldn't be an upgrade. So, I've accepted that what I need just does not exist. 99.999% of streamers include a DAC or amp or both. To hell with that noise! So I'll continue to use the SB Touch. Amazing bit of kit. Hope it lasts!
Not sure what it is that you expect a streamer to do. My Cambridge Audio handle more formats than I care about and it’s easy to bypass the DAC, if you’re so inclined. You can even connect a blinged out power cord.

Top Bottom