• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best value streamer with no DAC

RadioBuddha

Yes I received mine yesterday too. Slightly tricky to set up ("http://ifi.local") did not work on my phone browser so I had to track down the IP address. My only other complaint is that internet radio streams take ages to start playing, to the point you think they won't. Note you can use the generic Volumio app on your phone if you manually put in the IP address. All it does I think is point to the browser though.

As I try to find the perfect streaming solution for my use case, invariably I find one or two things that makes me pause, the internet radio delay kills this product for me, was it ever fixed?

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As I try to find the perfect streaming solution for my use case, invariably I find one or two things that makes me pause, the internet radio delay kills this product for me, was it ever fixed?
I don't know. There are buffer settings you can change. By default they are set quite high. I changed them and it immediately bricked the unit! I have received a replacement but I am not game to try that again. There have been two firmware updates since the original. The default buffering remains the same. You get used to it, 20-30 seconds or so. Makes changing stations annoying though just to try them out.

dsnyder0cnn

No issues with Internet Radio if you're using Roon. I think as long as you use the ZEN Stream as a streamer instead of a media server, you'll be happy with the results.

RadioBuddha

No issues with Internet Radio if you're using Roon. I think as long as you use the ZEN Stream as a streamer instead of a media server, you'll be happy with the results.

I understand, every case is different, I don't use Roon and in my opinion $400 for a device that can't instantly tune into an internet radio station is a failure, for my purposes only, perhaps for others, if there is a free way that also prevents the internet radio issues, please let us know, thanks.

I do question though whether my ears will be able to detect any sound quality differences between this and a Rasberry Pi 4 with any average Dac Hat or external Dac, including the $9 Apple Dac.

And I have seen some of your tutorials on Youtube, thanks for providing a wealth of information on Raspberry Pi like setups and internet music streaming in general, the work you put into it is appreciated.

JanLP

Bought the Zen Stream a few weeks ago and it has been nothing but disappointing. I Stream from Tidal, and have constant disconnects. Tried on both the default setting 1 and the dedicated Tidal setting 3 with little to no difference. Network is good, i get the white LED for best network connection. Ethernet connected from WiFi Extender, i never got the Zen to find the wireless WiFi extender when i tried without the direct connect.
Called customer support but that was of no help.
Going back to Amazon tomorrow. Now looking for something better to hook up to my Denafrips Ares II, as the thread starter, i need a streamer with no DAC and with USB out.

dsnyder0cnn

Bought the Zen Stream a few weeks ago and it has been nothing but disappointing. I Stream from Tidal, and have constant disconnects. Tried on both the default setting 1 and the dedicated Tidal setting 3 with little to no difference. Network is good, i get the white LED for best network connection. Ethernet connected from WiFi Extender, i never got the Zen to find the wireless WiFi extender when i tried without the direct connect.
Going back to Amazon tomorrow. Now looking for something better to hook up to my Denafrips Ares II, as the thread starter, i need a streamer with no DAC and with USB out.
Yeah. The ZEN Stream works great with Roon and reasonably well with AirPlay and DLNA. TIDAL and Spotify Connect require a lot more CPU resources (for MQA on TIDAL, the first unfold happens on the ZEN Stream).

If your primary use case is a Roon endpoint, the ZEN Stream is excellent. For anything else, I don't think it's the best option.

dsnyder0cnn

Ethernet connected from WiFi Extender

Hmmm, that's probably the 2nd worst possible connection (behind Wi-Fi tethering via a mobile phone). For those who require Wi-iFi, I'd stick with the internal solution. There are longer antennas available for folks who require a bit more range. These are inexpensive and effective.

JanLP

Thank you, good knowledges to get, i am an analogue guy so streaming is new to me.
My router is unfortunately in the other end of the house than my audio system so a direct connection is not possible. House build before ethernet outlets were installed everywhere.

rudy

Thank you, good knowledges to get, i am an analogue guy so streaming is new to me.
My router is unfortunately in the other end of the house than my audio system so a direct connection is not possible. House build before ethernet outlets were installed everywhere.
please keep us posted, thanks

JanLP

Ended up returning the Zen Stream and instead now have the Sonore UltraRendu streaming to the Denafrips Ares II
Installed a shielded Cat 6 cable from my Router to the Ultra and could not be happier, a great sounding combo.
I use MConnect with Tidal but often need to reboot my Iphone for MConnect to control Tidal, not sure if it is the phone or MConnect that has a problem.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Try the Xiaomi mi box s with mconnect app on your phone you can stream 24bit/44.1 -48 khz Tidal Masters with excellent conectivity. It streams from usb and spdif also.

oliman

Hi. I got the iFi Zen stream last week and it works smoothly with TIDAL but I have not been able to stream from Foobar2000 (Windows 10). I have tried with both, "UPnP MediaRenderer Output" and "UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point" plugins with different configurations without success so far. Both see the "IFi Stream" device but when triggering some streaming I get the following error in iFi Web GUI:

--------------
Warning
Failed to decode
http://XXX.XXX.1.179:64206/21/stream.wav, CURL failed: Connection timeout after 10007 [ms]
--------------

Setup:
iFi Zen Stream: using AIO mode, Ethernet, latest firmware v2.29.8.
DAC: RME ADI-2 PRO AE (USB)

Was anyone able to make it work?

RosalieTheDog

1) Does anyone have experience with 'NEXUM TuneBox 3'? They have an all-digital version (no DAC) available for €100 in Europe.
1637503419963.png

Could be great if devices like these were to support Tidal Connect in the future. Spotify Connect has a broader implementation it seems.

2) Something I haven't seen mentioned. Tidal android app has bit-perfect USB out now. Your android device takes control of the DAC just like USB Audio Player Pro.

Last edited:

Philong

Can I ask a question? Is using the streamer like Rasberry will give much better sound quality than using bluetooth code Ldac from the Topping D90se?

RosalieTheDog

Three other devices I'm curious about:
- Octavio audio streamer. Seems like a hi-res chromecast puck, with an own app though. https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/stre...fect-wifi-bluetooth-24bit-192khz-p-15804.html
- Is EarMen making a streamer called "staccato"? I can't find info about it apart from this teaser.
1637932788071.png

- WIIM MINI audio streamer. Another hi-res chromecast like, with Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect. This to me seems like a better deal than raspberry pi implementation with Tidal connect (since you need to pay the subscription to Volumio on top of the Tidal subscription).

Attachments

• 1637929845029.png
    1637929845029.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

JoeBrooklyn

Can I ask a question? Is using the streamer like Rasberry will give much better sound quality than using bluetooth code Ldac from the Topping D90se?

If you are asking whether a Raspberry Pi sending a digital stream to a D90se over USB will sound better than Source X sending a digital stream to the same device over Bluetooth LDAC, it depends on "Source X" . :)

It is possible to send a bit perfect stream over LDAC that is not resampled. In that case there should be no difference. The question is what is the Source X can is send a bit perfect, non-resampled stream over bluetooth.

If you are asking whether sound from a Raspberry over bluetooth to headphones will sound better than the same source played through a DS90se over bluetooth to headphones, the answer is no. The DS90 has a better bluetooth implementation.

arisholm

I just got a Cocktail audio X50D. Pure digital streamer with "roon ready" and additional digital inputs and digital volume control, both of which are very uncommon features in a streamer. It has a LOT of features well beyond my needs (CD ripper, discs etc), but it still works very well for my needs purely as a good roon ready endpoint with digital inputs for other sources and volume control. Also HDMI-output to see what's streaming on the big screen is a real plus.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2) Something I haven't seen mentioned. Tidal android app has bit-perfect USB out now. Your android device takes control of the DAC just like USB Audio Player Pro.

These are useful if you want to charge your phone as well as control a DAC...

I'm using one with UAPP on my Galaxy Note 9 and Topping D50s. It also works with my 10" Huawei tablet if I want a bigger screen to browse on.

RosalieTheDog

These are useful if you want to charge your phone as well as control a DAC...

I'm using one with UAPP on my Galaxy Note 9 and Topping D50s. It also works with my 10" Huawei tablet if I want a bigger screen to browse on.
Great advice! Thanks.

Top Bottom