• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best sounding full-size closed-back...

Asylum Seeker

So, in your opinion, which closed-back, full-size circumaural headphone is the best sounding for under $200? Just one.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
'Best sounding' (to who) or most neutral ?
2nd hand also O.K. ?

Consider DT250-250 but needs some sealing of the headphone plug. Just not smooth and extended treble.
Maybe DT150 with DT100 velour pads (not very refined but very neutral and you need to like ugly headphones)
ATH-MSR7 (when on sale)
M50X should be mentioned.
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro (when on sale)
Takstar Pro82 (cheap alternative)

Ordered a K371 (mediocre isolation) so may know if it fits my bill in a week or so.

Last edited:

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just personally want some opinions on higher priced stuff:p. @solderdude in the what headphones you own thread you said you used some headphones a lot and I assume one is dt177x go. Is it a good closed back headphone? How does it compare to dt1990 pro? Thanks for answering.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
In stock form I didn't like the DT1770.
However, with the port mod (sligthly sealing the small ports) and using the silver/grey DT770 pads + treble filter it sounds excellent to me.
None of the typical 'closed' sound and excellent tonal balance.
Also I use a much shorter cable (no influence in sound)

It does require a DT1770 + EDT770V pads (with the black EDT770VB pads, which are stiffer and firmer it is 'darker' sounding with less clarity) + filter (DIY or only available from me) + some effort to tune the bass.
This adds to the price of the DT1770 alone.
Fortunately from me I was able to buy it second hand (ditched the original pads anyway) and had the DT770 pads in stock anyway.

It differs from the DT1990 in that it has much more 'body' to the sound which is missing from DT1990A. The filter (or EQ) is needed as the 'sharpness' is too much for me. Some actually like that and feel it ads a sense of hyper detail. In the end it is unnatural emphasis and fatiguing.
The DT1990B is warmer but also lacks 'body'. The modified DT1770 is very neutral, 'open' sounding, detailed and natural.

The modified DT1770 I walk around with (portable amp cause 250 Ohm) I can wear for many hours.

disclaimer: The DT1770 is currently the 'best' (affordable) closed headphone to ME. There are other closed back headphones that may sound 'better'. I haven't heard/measured all closed headphones around and don't buy uber expensive ones. So... it is not THE 'best' closed headphone. It just is the best sounding one to me that I own. It may not be 'best' to many others.

Last edited:

bigjacko

In stock form I didn't like the DT1770.
However, with the port mod (sligthly sealing the small ports) and using the silver/grey DT770 pads + treble filter it sounds excellent to me.
None of the typical 'closed' sound and excellent tonal balance.
Also I use a much shorter cable (no influence in sound)

It does require a DT1770 + EDT770V pads (with the black EDT770VB pads, which are stiffer and firmer it is 'darker' sounding with less clarity) + filter (DIY or only available from me) + some effort to tune the bass.
This adds to the price of the DT1770 alone.
Fortunately from me I was able to buy it second hand (ditched the original pads anyway) and had the DT770 pads in stock anyway.

It differs from the DT1990 in that it has much more 'body' to the sound which is missing from DT1990A. The filter (or EQ) is needed as the 'sharpness' is too much for me. Some actually like that and feel it ads a sense of hyper detail. In the end it is unnatural emphasis and fatiguing.
The DT1990B is warmer but also lacks 'body'. The modified DT1770 is very neutral, 'open' sounding, detailed and natural.

The modified DT1770 I walk around with (portable amp cause 250 Ohm) I can wear for many hours.

disclaimer: The DT1770 is currently the 'best' (affordable) closed headphone to ME. There are other closed back headphones that may sound 'better'. I haven't heard/measured all closed headphones around and don't buy uber expensive ones. So... it is not THE 'best' closed headphone. It just is the best sounding one to me that I own. It may not be 'best' to many others.
Thanks for the write up. You talked about dt1770 pro, but dt177x go from drop seems to have different tuning as dt1770 pro. I am too lazy to mod headphones, I always use oratory1990's preset to eq headphones. If dt1990 pro and dt177x go eq to the same frequency response, which one is better in terms of sound stage, sub bass etc..?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Oh sorry... didn't realize you asked about the DT177x. I no longer have access to Massdrop (my contact quit his job) so cannot test Massdrop gear anymore.
My reviews never seem to be raving and too technical so there is no incentive for manufacturers/dealers to send me stuff. They only let people review that write positive and raving reviews that helps sales.;)

After EQ you can make a lot of headphones sound similar(ish).
Same driver, different housing, different pads, different tuning after EQ tonally should be the same.
In case of the DT177x the driver differs (low impedance) so may differ just because of that alone.
With EQ they should sound the same/similar, that is if one believes the measurement rig has the exact same tuning as their ears.
I have not seen compelling evidence it is. Differences of +/- 10dB between different measurement rigs tells me measuring isn't as easy as folks believe/hope it is.

Last edited:
OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

...best sounding to you. Whatever that means to you. Let's keep it simple. Say the one that you like the most. KISS.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
If the question were KISS.

When one asks that question this way you can get 10 different recommendations from different people that prefer a different tonal balance and comfort and price range. Can one also mention headphones they heard but are out of their price-range ?
What if someone that recommends something just because they only heard 1 or 2 headphones and no real references or own just one because they bought it for reason x ?

Will any of the recommendations suit your personal taste ?

This makes 'best sounding' not exist. There can be many closed headphones that sound 'best' to many people. There was even a time where people said they liked the HD201 best over other headphones. That is my point.

Some headphones may have aspects that person A prefers over person B and vice versa. Who is 'right' or are both right and what does that say about the headphones or individuals ?
Hell there are even people that like the DT48 !

In electronics you can arguably say this or that device measures best has best specs (even at a price point)
In case of headphones and speakers there is no 'universal' best.
There can be a best sold one, or most recommended or most popular though.

Let's just say that my search is probably endless and every year some new and interesting models come out that may be 'better' or 'worse' to different individuals.

I can only say what I prefer currently but it is not below E 200.- (modified DT1770) but heard other excellent ones.

Last edited:

bigjacko

Oh sorry... didn't realize you asked about the DT177x. I no longer have access to Massdrop (my contact quit his job) so cannot test Massdrop gear anymore.
My reviews never seem to be raving and too technical so there is no incentive for manufacturers/dealers to send me stuff. They only let people review that write positive and raving reviews that helps sales.;)

After EQ you can make a lot of headphones sound similar(ish).
Same driver, different housing, different pads, different tuning after EQ tonally should be the same.
In case of the DT177x the driver differs (low impedance) so may differ just because of that alone.
With EQ they should sound the same/similar, that is if one believes the measurement rig has the exact same tuning as their ears.
I have not seen compelling evidence it is. Differences of +/- 10dB between different measurement rigs tells me measuring isn't as easy as folks believe/hope it is.
Yeah I can see that they only let people praise the headphone to review it, most of them are more towards subjective or only rely on their ears. For different headphones after eq, the frequency response are the same, but how does close back and lower impedance affect headphones? Are those being affected important for headphone sound quality?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Well the impedance doesn't have to change characteristics of the driver IF the weight and field strength of the voicecoil is the same.
I suspect, however, Beyerdynamic didn't do that, instead they may have used an entirely different driver (have not seen pics of the driver).

Closed back headphones 'use' the sound coming from the rear of the driver, open backs simply let that sound out.
This is a very different principle.

bigjacko

If closed back headphones use the sound coming from the rear of the driver does it mean higher output volume? What is "closed in" sound and what makes closed bakc have "closed in" sound?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
No, doesn't mean higher output volume. Sometimes ports are used or other acoustic tricks.

Closed in sound (or cuppy sound) can be caused by poor design of the acousical system and/or a not flat frequency response with some humps or dips here and there.

Cuppy sound is not unique for closed backs. It is 'easier' to design open backs than closed backs.
It is easier to get lowbass extension using a closed back.

bigjacko

Thank you very much for answering all those questions!:)

OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

Thanks. I have the K371 and while I like|admire them, I don't love them. To me, the best sounding closed-back, circum-aural is the DT 770 Pro 250. I love those things. Anything that can dethrone them?

AT-MSR7 are very good too, but lean.

I need|like air and sparkle at the top. K371 is a bit lacking in that respect.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
...best sounding to you. Whatever that means to you. Let's keep it simple. Say the one that you like the most. KISS.
The AKG 167 "Tiesto" headphones I currently like best were originally priced at $200. B + H Photo often sell then at $50. Replacing the stock pads with the pads from Sennheiser Urbanite XL headphones improves the seal [and bass], also the comfort. I see Urbanite XL replacement pads online for $35.

OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

Top Bottom