• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Closed Backs sidegrade

JediMa

I posted something similar but with time it's more clear what I'm searching, I need closed back headphones as alternative to the Open Backs (in my signature) when there's noise at home and also to play my keyboard. I'm used now to the good sound quality of the ones I'm used to listen so I'm trying to find something that sound good enough and possibly with a different sound signature (much more bass). I've read about a few and I'm considering them but I'm really open to any good new advice, BD DT 770 pro, AKG 371, Audio Technica, Sivga and more .Budget 200 flexible

markanini

Major Contributor
I recommend AKG K371. Or Shure SRH440(non-A) if you can use EQ to reduce 2kHz. I like those better than Beyerdynamic DT770, Audio Technica M50x, Beyerdynamic DT250, Sony MDR 7506.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the AKG K371 wired version, easy to drive and extra cables are nice too. The DT770 has bass that extends all the way down, if you have the power it's got the fun factor. It leaks more sound than the k371 though. IEMs might be worth checking out, with foam tips the isolation is terrific. The Truthear Zero is my favorite overall before prices start soaring. Have another blue and a red edition coming in next week, can't wait.

OP
JediMa

JediMa

I have the chance to have them here and test. AKG is very accurate but absolutely boring, flimsy build and looks cheap. DT770 have harsh highs but beside this much more funny to listen and the soundstage is extremely good for closed backs

SiW

I like the AKG K371 wired version, easy to drive and extra cables are nice too. The DT770 has bass that extends all the way down, if you have the power it's got the fun factor. It leaks more sound than the k371 though. IEMs might be worth checking out, with foam tips the isolation is terrific. The Truthear Zero is my favorite overall before prices start soaring. Have another blue and a red edition coming in next week, can't wait.
If IEMs work for you then I agree that the Zeros are a great and cheaper option.

jwmitchell

Many good choices Should examine any in which you are interested
for their drive requirements, especially if cost limited. I Recently had the interesting experience of moving HiFiMan Sundara headphones from a Chord Mojo ( a great portable DAC/amp) to a RME ADI-2 DAC FS ( a top desktop DAC/amp with a much greater power reserve) and was amazed at how much better I liked the Sundara with the RME. The Mojo is fully the equal of the RME with easier to drive Focal Clear and Elegia headphones! Matching is important! IEMs are generally easy to drive but be sure to use electronics with a very noise free ( black) background. I can recommend the Moondrop Aria for ca great performance/price ratio and Moondrop S8 if you can afford it. There are other goid IEM choices but those are ones that I like from experience!! The Moondrop Starfield is good also but the Aria is better and cheaper. Unless you really like the Starfield esthetics as I did, get the Aria. You cannot go wrong with them! I have also liked the Tin T3.
I think the Moondrop Blessing 2 would be good but have not heard.

jwmitchell

If you think trying IEMs is interesting, start with something goon and relatively cheap like the Moondrop Aria. Spend time getting the tip fit rather get. You may be happy with the supplied silicone tips if you find the right size among the several sizes supplied. Personally I consistently prefer the Comply memory foambtips.!Probably Dekoni tips are good as well.!Steer clear of the cheap no name or ChiFi memory foam tips from Amazon!! They are a waste even for the little they cost. For me, I find the sound and isolation of good IEMs to be fine but I find putting them in tedious compared to the ease of headphones. My adult son and I share a collection of both headphones and IEMs. He really likes the IEMs, especially the Moondrop Aria and S8. In contrast, I choose headphones unless I specifically need great portability and ease of driving with an iphone dongle or a similar low power DAC/amp. Interestingly, with IEMs a standard $9.95 Apple dongle or one of the better but still cheap “ChiFi“ units can perform very well. The DAC quality needs to be high but the amp is given an easy job. A step up like the Dragonfly units would be great! I have had good performance from the Chord Mojo and the ifi hipDAC. Those are both very capable with the easier to drive headphones as well. The Chord is both better and more expensive. Both have newer versions than I own that seem to offer significant performance enhancements.

Top Bottom