• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Practices - using Apple's hardware & software

nniemiec

I know there's lots of opinions on this - I want to keep things as simple as possible as I have finally bought a DAC and want to make the most of it.

My setup is:

Mac Mini - remote computer hardwired to my digital files/hard drive using iTunes> Macbook Pro (circa 2010) +DAC wired into my preamp using Airplay to access remote files in main listening room.

My question: Simply Using Apple software & gear - If I want to use Bitperfect do I need to install Bitperfect on both computers or just the remote macbook pro? Any additional advice is valued. I would note: I do have a CAT5 ethernet cable that I could use for this, but no idea how that helps or if it is of value in making the most of things. Thanks!

creativepart

I've reread your post a couple of times, but I'm not completely sure what you have and what you're asking.

If I understand what you are saying, Ethernet between the Mini and the Macbook Pro is vastly better than Airplay.

Is your DAC a USB capable DAC? You say they are "wired" together, but how? What DAC are you talking about?

I've not any experience with "Bitperfect." To me almost anything is better than iTunes. And BP does provide automatic sample rate switching depending on the format. Which is a huge improvement over just using iTunes. But it's sound quality is supposedly not all that much better than iTunes. It its cheap. I'll give you that.

I looked for reviews online and found dozens - from 6 or 7 years ago. The ones I saw said it was inexpensive and better than iTunes alone. But not much. My experience is with Audirvana+ and Roon. Both more expensive, both very good. Both highly rated.

Are you only playing files from your HD? Do you use Tidal or Qobuz? Studio / Master quality?

To give you an idea of where I'm coming from. I've been using my iMac via USB cable to play music files (800 CDs ripped in ALAC) to a USB Dac for about 12 years. First, with iTunes, then Audirvana+, then with Roon. Then I changed to network streamer connected to my iMac via a network cable (Ethernet). So, Roon is installed on my iMac, it plays files and Tidal and Qobuz over the network to my SoTM SMS200 Ultra Streamer to my Chord Qutest DAC connected via RCA cables to my tube integrated amp.

All that is probably MUCH more than what you are asking about. I just wanted to give you an idea of where all this can lead.

EVERYTHING MATTERS - better software, better cables, better DACs, better power supplies, EVERYTHING.

OP
N

nniemiec

Thanks for the guidance - you've given me plenty to think about. The configuration is:

Mac mini - main server to hard drives of digital music files (located in office)>
macbook pro
(in main listening room) picks up that data c/o Airplay(wireless)>
Topping D10
USB connected to macbook pro>
Preamp
connect via RCA cables from DAC

Fortunately I laid CAT 5 Ethernet cable between the 2 rooms years ago, but have never used it. You're saying I should hard wire the 2 computers c/o the ethernet which will eliminate need for Airplay? I hope I'm understanding that correctly. I'm stuck w/ iTunes- I have 2 TBs of files cataloged, and growing daily. I don't do a whole lot of streaming c/o spotify, et al. I'm not prepared to migrate to some 3rd party software at this time, so gotta make the most of itunes however possible. If Bit Perfect simply ensures that sample rate is optimized, why would I consider a more expensive solution if that's all I need at this point- how is SQ improved? I'm interested to understand how specifically SQ is improved, digital audio is nebulous IMO. I'm open to whatever is best within reason. I look forward to eventually reporting back after I properly test the CAT 5 cable wiring prior to testing out a hard wire connection which seems like the priority based on your intel. thanks again

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EVERYTHING MATTERS - better software, better cables, better DACs, better power supplies, EVERYTHING.

I beg to differ...

A non-broken USB cable is much like any other: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/do-usb-audio-cables-make-a-difference.1887/

Pretty much any competently designed desktop DAC will be audibly transparent. Something a cheap as a Topping D10 ($90/£65) has high enough SINAD to be audibly transparent at CD quality (16 bit): https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iew-and-measurements-of-topping-d10-dac.2470/

'Upgrading' the power supply on a competently designed DAC has no audible effect: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-you-need-linear-power-supply-for-dacs.7021/

creativepart

iTunes as a player suffers from digital glare and is optimized for mp3 sound files. Bitperfect doesn't address this problem.

Yes, in general, using Ethernet to connect the two computers is better than AirPlay. However, you probably will not hear any improvement.

You said "best practices." Best practices with the equipment you currently have would be playing FLAC or ALAC files not mp3 files, not Spotify. I have to assume you are not at that level yet and are playing mp3 files and that's what you have on your HD.

If you're listening to mp3 files then stick with Airplay and iTunes. You don't even need Bitperfect.

You've got a good DAC capable of good sound. Feed it full CD 16/44 resolution files, if not better, and it will reward you with great sound. If you feed it 128kb mp3 files it will sound... fine.

creativepart

I beg to differ...

Something a cheap as a Topping D10 ($90/£65) has high enough SINAD to be audibly transparent at CD quality (16 bit):

I was expecting this response here. I'm fully aware of the ethos here and how things are looked at a ASR. I have experienced a much different reality, but too each his own.

We do agree with each other that the Topping needs at at least CD Quality files to deliver it's SQ potential.

OP
N

nniemiec

I've reread your post a couple of times, but I'm not completely sure what you have and what you're asking.

If I understand what you are saying, Ethernet between the Mini and the Macbook Pro is vastly better than Airplay.

Is your DAC a USB capable DAC? You say they are "wired" together, but how? What DAC are you talking about?

I've not any experience with "Bitperfect." To me almost anything is better than iTunes. And BP does provide automatic sample rate switching depending on the format. Which is a huge improvement over just using iTunes. But it's sound quality is supposedly not all that much better than iTunes. It its cheap. I'll give you that.

I looked for reviews online and found dozens - from 6 or 7 years ago. The ones I saw said it was inexpensive and better than iTunes alone. But not much. My experience is with Audirvana+ and Roon. Both more expensive, both very good. Both highly rated.

Are you only playing files from your HD? Do you use Tidal or Qobuz? Studio / Master quality?

To give you an idea of where I'm coming from. I've been using my iMac via USB cable to play music files (800 CDs ripped in ALAC) to a USB Dac for about 12 years. First, with iTunes, then Audirvana+, then with Roon. Then I changed to network streamer connected to my iMac via a network cable (Ethernet). So, Roon is installed on my iMac, it plays files and Tidal and Qobuz over the network to my SoTM SMS200 Ultra Streamer to my Chord Qutest DAC connected via RCA cables to my tube integrated amp.

All that is probably MUCH more than what you are asking about. I just wanted to give you an idea of where all this can lead.

Do you know of any comprehensive guides on how to configure (2) Apple computers c/o ethernet cable - start to finish for itunes sharing? I'm 1/2 way through getting it set up & am at a point where the computers are "sharing" but I'm unclear on how to pull up the master itunes library. I'm still only able to "stream" via airplay - unclear on how to pull up the itunes from the mac mini / base computer- it's my understanding that ultimately I want to bypass airplay c/o the ethernet cable. thanks.

Last edited:

creativepart

What makes you say that iTunes suffers from digital glare?

And what do you mean by optimized? Do you have some reason to think it doesn't play ripped CDs (Redbook) well?
The files available from Apple iTunes are not available as non-compressed files. It was developed for playback via iPods. It has been created... optimized... for the playback of compressed MP3 files. Don't take my word for it - search online. And why would there be dozens of programs being sold that are all better than iTunes?

iTunes can playback Redbook just fine. But not if your music library is all MP3 files. Then there is the issue of the way Mac handles sound files and the inferrior upsample/downsample features of the Mac - which is why all other music players "fix" this issue.

creativepart

Do you know of any comprehensive guides on how to configure (2) Apple computers c/o ethernet cable - start to finish for itunes sharing? I'm 1/2 way through getting it set up & am at a point where the computers are "sharing" but I'm unclear on how to pull up the master itunes library. I'm still only able to "stream" via airplay - unclear on how to pull up the itunes from the mac mini / base computer. thanks.
Assuming you do have a network setup, you access files on your two Macs over that network. Either through Airplay or via Ethernet. The Macbook connects to the network and you access the mac mini over the Ethernet. You set up iTunes on the mini to use the music folder over the network on the Macbook.

Again, for all that you've said, I wouldn't bother to even try substituting Ethernet for AirPlay.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know there's lots of opinions on this - I want to keep things as simple as possible as I have finally bought a DAC and want to make the most of it.

My setup is:

Mac Mini - remote computer hardwired to my digital files/hard drive using iTunes> Macbook Pro (circa 2010) +DAC wired into my preamp using Airplay to access remote files in main listening room.

My question: Simply Using Apple software & gear - If I want to use Bitperfect do I need to install Bitperfect on both computers or just the remote macbook pro? Any additional advice is valued. I would note: I do have a CAT5 ethernet cable that I could use for this, but no idea how that helps or if it is of value in making the most of things. Thanks!

Are you saying that the music files are located on your Mac mini/hard drive setup, and that you control playback from that mini remotely using your MacBook Pro?

And when you say you use Airplay, are you sure about that? Airplay transmits iTunes music wirelessly to an Apple playback device (typically an Airport Express but can also be another Mac or even another brand of audio equipment that is Airplay compatible). But Airplay is not used to retrieve the music files from a remove computer or server/drive. So when you say "Airplay" do you perhaps just mean wi-fi?

The answer to your BitPerfect question depends on what your setup actually looks like. But there are two general principles that might be of some help to you:
  • BitPerfect should be installed and running only on the computer that is actually outputting the digital signal to your DAC (and from your description that sounds like the MacBook Pro, yes?)
  • If you truly are using Apple Airplay to transmit iTunes playback wirelessly to an Airplay receiver of some kind, then you don't really need BitPerfect at all. Airplay only works in 16/44.1 CD quality resolution. And so no matter the resolution of your music files, Airplay will only transmit them in 16/44.1 format. Therefore BitPerfect's main feature - to allow iTunes to output files of varying resolutions without resampling or truncating the resolution - is rendered moot.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And why would there be dozens of programs being sold that are all better than iTunes?

Because marketing. I have not seen a credible listening test showing the differences you allege. Can you point me to one?

Also, AirPlay is fine. I've used it so long that I remember when it was called "AirTunes" or something like that. Now at home I do use direct wire (HDMI to SSP), but only because my music library outgrew my MacBook Pro's storage capacity and a whole Mac mini wasn't much more expensive than an SSD upgrade.

Lastly, perhaps you use obsolete equipment, but iTunes no longer exists on late model Macs.

OP
N

nniemiec

Are you saying that the music files are located on your Mac mini/hard drive setup, and that you control playback from that mini remotely using your MacBook Pro?

And when you say you use Airplay, are you sure about that? Airplay transmits iTunes music wirelessly to an Apple playback device (typically an Airport Express but can also be another Mac or even another brand of audio equipment that is Airplay compatible). But Airplay is not used to retrieve the music files from a remove computer or server/drive. So when you say "Airplay" do you perhaps just mean wi-fi?

The answer to your BitPerfect question depends on what your setup actually looks like. But there are two general principles that might be of some help to you:
  • BitPerfect should be installed and running only on the computer that is actually outputting the digital signal to your DAC (and from your description that sounds like the MacBook Pro, yes?)
  • If you truly are using Apple Airplay to transmit iTunes playback wirelessly to an Airplay receiver of some kind, then you don't really need BitPerfect at all. Airplay only works in 16/44.1 CD quality resolution. And so no matter the resolution of your music files, Airplay will only transmit them in 16/44.1 format. Therefore BitPerfect's main feature - to allow iTunes to output files of varying resolutions without resampling or truncating the resolution - is rendered moot.

I am currently using Airplay to stream (wirelessly) the audio content stored off the office server. (airplay is now baked into all macs w/out the need for an airport express) Per advice here & elsewhere - it has been suggested that eliminating airplay would improve SQ, however, i've also read that airplay is a protocol that operates whether you are wired c/o ethernet or the more usual wireless configuration. I suppose the work around would be to relocate the audio hard drives & locate them in the main listening room, but was hoping that there was a way of disabling airplay by using an ethernet cable to connect the 2 computers.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it has been suggested that eliminating airplay would improve SQ,

"Suggestions" are very different from credible listening evaluations. Be wary of soothsayers.

Are you experiencing dropouts? If so, a wired connection may help. If not, and you want to play with your stereo, look further down the chain.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I strongly doubt eliminating airplay would improve SQ - ask people what their assertions are based on.

e.g. when one poster above said iTunes as a player has digital glare, he apparently meant "iTunes as a downloader of mp3 files"

If you do have mp3 files you may well improve SQ by replacing them with Redbook (ripped CDs)

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am currently using Airplay to stream (wirelessly) the audio content stored off the office server. (airplay is now baked into all macs w/out the need for an airport express) Per advice here & elsewhere - it has been suggested that eliminating airplay would improve SQ, however, i've also read that airplay is a protocol that operates whether you are wired c/o ethernet or the more usual wireless configuration. I suppose the work around would be to relocate the audio hard drives & locate them in the main listening room, but was hoping that there was a way of disabling airplay by using an ethernet cable to connect the 2 computers.

Yes, I know - that's why I said Airplay streams to an Airport Express or another Mac. At any rate, if you're using Airplay to stream from your mini to your MacBook Pro (with, I presume, your MacBook Pro then outputting the sound digitally into your external DAC), then while I'm sure that sounds fine, I would not recommend using BitPerfect, because BitPerfect is mainly useful for playing digital files of various resolutions from your library, without having MacOS resample them all to 16/44.1k. Since the Airplay protocol does that no matter what, however - converting anything that's not in 16/44.1k format to that format - then there's no point in using BitPerfect. The features that BitPerfect offers are mooted by having Airplay as part of your playback chain.

OP
N

nniemiec

Yes, I know - that's why I said Airplay streams to an Airport Express or another Mac. At any rate, if you're using Airplay to stream from your mini to your MacBook Pro (with, I presume, your MacBook Pro then outputting the sound digitally into your external DAC), then while I'm sure that sounds fine, I would not recommend using BitPerfect, because BitPerfect is mainly useful for playing digital files of various resolutions from your library, without having MacOS resample them all to 16/44.1k. Since the Airplay protocol does that no matter what, however - converting anything that's not in 16/44.1k format to that format - then there's no point in using BitPerfect. The features that BitPerfect offers are mooted by having Airplay as part of your playback chain.

Thanks - i think the learning is that if I really want to elevate things, then I should consider relocating the music drives to the main listening room & feed it through the macbook pro, though I'm starting to wonder if SQ will improve noticeably? What is your opinion?

Top Bottom