• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best headphone for under 70 euros

Name

You said earbuds aren't something you want, but you'll probably enjoy them more than you would closed backs in that price that I have experience with.

Name

Oh I take that back! I bought my fiance a pair of Sony closed back headphones that might just fit into your budget and they didn't sound bad off of a phone for a punchy closed back headphone running low quality sources.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Mdr-Xb9...ocphy=9027000&hvtargid=pla-564883041796&psc=1

You can find them from top sellers used on amazon for 50 bucks. I think you'd like this. They are actually comfrotable, and have pretty good bass punch and also isolation being closed backs.

Name

check out the video. I think the Sony xb950ap is the right fit for you. Let me know what you think.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It gets very low ratings here

Their audio reproduction can be overly bass-heavy out-of-the-box but thanks to the Headphones Connect app you can EQ them for more critical listeners. Unfortunately, even with a good EQ, their sound won't be for everyone and the oddly sized ear cups, do not create the best seal around your ears which lets ambient noise seep into your music.

That does fit the price but don't think he is looking for BT.

Name

It's not Bluetooth. Not the xb950ap. And for the money it sounds really good to people who are not seeking hifi sound who do not have a good dac and amp but want to make their low quality sources sound good.

My favorite headphone is the hd650 with my focusrite scarlett 2i4 or Topping dac and IFI Micro Ican SE amp. And for closed back I like my Denon D2000's. I have used these for many years and I can still recommend something like the xb950ap to people because I know most people aren't into hifi but would rather have extra bass with still decent clarity through vocal range and get large sound output from their phone source which many hifi headphones won't do.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I have the Takstar Pro 82s myself. They are great. Good sound, great comfort, and they don't need an amp. They seem really well-built to me too. Order them directly from Takstar's store on Aliexpress though to make sure you get the most recent version...

therlane

For home use, used Sennheiser HD555 are amazing. They give absolutely beautiful sound. Since they are open, they're not isolated, though, and people around you can hear the sound. I think you can easily get them between 20-50 US$ used on eBay or so.

Name

The Audio Technica ATH40x may fit the bill. It's around your price range and it's a closed back and therefore has some sound isolation. I've also heard that it is pretty good for gaming for a closed back headphone. It's a little closer to neutral sounding so if you are not used to neutral headphones you may not like it. What is your headphone/speaker experience? What do you think sounds good? If you like beats type headphones let us know :)

Name

It's based on this that I think you might like the xb950 headphones

"Preferred tonal balance:

• I like me some nice punchy bass, but I don't think really clear, balanced audio would do me any harm. Being able to hear those small acoustic details also sounds nice, though. I like to be surprised. (If this section needs more explanation, tell me and I'll edit it)."

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Resurrecting this one form a few months ago.
I recently got the Takstar Pro 82 after reading lots of stuff and just giving up, hehe.
There are some Beyerdynamic DT770 and DT990 on Amazon at the moment for just over £100, but I didn't know if they would be right for me in terms of comfort and sound and durability.

Anyway, Pro 82s have been comfy, after getting used to the vacuum it causes around my ear. They sound fine at low volume and higher volume. The bass boost sliders are useful if you have a really anaemic track and want to add a lot of bottom, or are listening very low and want some rumble. In normal use though, adding any extra bass just makes things muddy.

Here is an EQ APO settings file I created after fiddling around. Seems to sort out the bass boom and tame that treble peak.
I think I have the older driver variants. The cable has the nice metal end to it and is quite long, was in the white box package rather than black.

Equaliser: Generic
Preamp: -1 dB

# Bottom fix
Filter: ON PK Fc 50 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 0.75
Filter: ON PK Fc 150 Hz Gain +0.75 dB Q 1.25

# Upper mid clarity 4k
Filter: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain +1 dB Q 0.75

# Peak fix 9.5k
Filter: ON PK Fc 9500 Hz Gain -6 dB Q 6

Last edited:

bravomail

Resurrecting this one form a few months ago.
I recently got the Takstar Pro 82 after reading lots of stuff and just giving up, hehe.
There are some Beyerdynamic DT770 and DT990 on Amazon at the moment for just over £100, but I didn't know if they would be right for me in terms of comfort and sound and durability.

Can someone compare the sound and comfort of Takstar Pro 82 vs Audiotechnica M40x? The price in US is close enough. Advantages of Takstars are not clear to me. Solderdude article complains about some sound issues, high treble, yet muddy treble, I never heard anything like that about Audiotechnica M40x. Anyone? Speak up pls!

L5730

From what I gather, although it didn't seem written the older variant of Takstar Pro 82 has a blue ring in/on it's driver, whilst the newer version does not?

I couldn't find any verbose instruction on how to remove an ear pad, and knowing I am prone to breaking things when trying to disassemble, I am holding off on taking my new 'phones apart. I did shine a flashlight very close to the felt covering and could peek through, just enough to see that there is a blue ring, which looks like the v1 driver. That coupled with the nicer looking metal ended longer cable and white design box, I'm pretty sure I have the arguably less desirable first version.

Highs don't sound muddy, but they do benefit from a bit of EQ. It's not ridiculously obvious, but knocking out 6 dB at 9.5 kHz lets me hear the snap of the stick on the snare drum, rather than a brighter undefined wash. However, I am talking more in terms of eyes-closed concentrated listening. It also just helps tame sibilant sound and cymbals, without really changing anything. The bottom end needed addressing as soon as I put them on, but that's an easy fix to taste again.

Apparently the ATH-40X might be more flat in terms of EQ, but they have really shallow ear pads so the driver touches your ear. I read and watched reviews where people suggested the 50x as being better, but then that was outdone by DT770. I got fed up of going around in circles and thought at this price it's worth a punt.

I normally listen to speakers, nearfield monitors, so the headphone experience always seems a bit strange to me anyway. However, I have been spending a lot of time since getting these Takstar Pro 82 cans just listening to all sorts of stuff on Spotify. I think that somehow they might lack an outright refinement and in some sense that is to their merit. It makes more material acceptable. It also makes them less useful as an analytical monitor.

I haven't compared them to anything else, personally, other than a USB headset and some older earbuds. I am happy enough until I can be bothered to go and audition something else, and for a long enough period to properly evaluate.
Only you can decide on what you think is comfortable, but the Pro 82s do have quite deep spongy ear pads and my ears go completely inside the pads. Some heat does built up over time because of the pleather, and the seal feels like a vacuum but I got used to it.

I hope I helped, but I feel that we are all in the same position of going around in circles until we try something for ourselves.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about the Koss PortaPro?
I've read many recommendations of that cheapo.

Top Bottom