• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best headphone for under 70 euros

Skystalker512

Budget:
  • +/- 60 euros, might be able to stretch to 80 if I put in a few more hours at work.

Source:
  • Phone (iPhone 6, if it matters)
  • Desktop PC
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS Pro, in case it matters.
    • I'll probably be buying an AMP/DAC later down the line.

How the gear will be used:
  • I'll be using it for:
    • listening to music
      • at home
      • in public
      • (perhaps a bit of gaming in competitive games, like CS:GO)
  • Noise cancelling would be a nice feature, but it's not a top priority of mine.

Preferred tonal balance:
  • I like me some nice punchy bass, but I don't think really clear, balanced audio would do me any harm. Being able to hear those small acoustic details also sounds nice, though. I like to be surprised. (If this section needs more explanation, tell me and I'll edit it).

Preferred music genre(s):
  • I'll be listening to:
    • Pop
    • Little bit of rap
    • Lo-Fi
    • (Classic-) Rock
    • Examples of artists I listen to:
      • Post Malone
      • Joji
      • Queen
      • Paul Elstak (Dutch hardcore DJ)

Past gear experience:
  • I've never had any real experience with high quality audio gear.
  • I've always used low-end, cheap gaming headsets and ear buds (those you could get at your local store, those without any recognizable branding, you know which I mean).
    • The comfort on some of those was decent but not amazing. The audio wasn't amazing but I had nothing to compare it to, so I thought it was amazing. Build quality was most of the time just subpar, but it wasn't a huge issue.

What aspect of your current listening experience would you like to improve?:
  • I want to take my listening experience to the next level. I want to be pulled into the songs and forget everything around me for a while.
  • I like to be immersed into my music.

Extra information:
  • I've never tried open back, but I don't really think it'd be ideal for my situation. I'll probably stick with closed back.
  • I live in The Netherlands. This means ordering from websites such as Amazon will be hard.
  • I'm on a pretty tight budget, so keep that in mind. I'm still in school, so the amount of money I'm able to spend isn't a lot.
  • I don't really have a preference for wired or wireless. My motherboard doesn't have Bluetooth, so wired would be a better option I guess. But wireless also wouldn't be bad, as long as it's Bluetooth.
    • Can someone tell me if wireless will result in a huge drop in audio quality? I know this is the case with gaming headsets, but will this also be the case with headphones?
  • I've already looked at headphones such as:
    • JBL Synchros E50BT
    • Edifier W800BT]
    • Skullcandy Hesh 2
    • Cooler Master MH751/2
      • I know this is an amazing headset. It's been recommended to a lot of people over at r/Gaming_Headsets and I've heard a lot positive things about it from people that've been using it. But how would it perform in my area?
  • I want to get a headphone, ear buds aren't really something I want.
  • Comfort is a pretty big deal. If it's good enough, I'll take it. \

I hope this was enough information. If there is more that needs to be added, I'll do so. Thanks in advance!

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Maybe the Shure SRH 440 would suit you. Try to get a listen to them before you buy. I've had good experiences with the SE 215 & SE 535 IEMs.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Budget:
  • +/- 60 euros, might be able to stretch to 80 if I put in a few more hours at work.

Source:
  • Phone (iPhone 6, if it matters)
  • Desktop PC
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS Pro, in case it matters.
    • I'll probably be buying an AMP/DAC later down the line.

How the gear will be used:
  • I'll be using it for:
    • listening to music
      • at home
      • in public
      • (perhaps a bit of gaming in competitive games, like CS:GO)
  • Noise cancelling would be a nice feature, but it's not a top priority of mine.

Preferred tonal balance:
  • I like me some nice punchy bass, but I don't think really clear, balanced audio would do me any harm. Being able to hear those small acoustic details also sounds nice, though. I like to be surprised. (If this section needs more explanation, tell me and I'll edit it).

Preferred music genre(s):
  • I'll be listening to:
    • Pop
    • Little bit of rap
    • Lo-Fi
    • (Classic-) Rock
    • Examples of artists I listen to:
      • Post Malone
      • Joji
      • Queen
      • Paul Elstak (Dutch hardcore DJ)

Past gear experience:
  • I've never had any real experience with high quality audio gear.
  • I've always used low-end, cheap gaming headsets and ear buds (those you could get at your local store, those without any recognizable branding, you know which I mean).
    • The comfort on some of those was decent but not amazing. The audio wasn't amazing but I had nothing to compare it to, so I thought it was amazing. Build quality was most of the time just subpar, but it wasn't a huge issue.

What aspect of your current listening experience would you like to improve?:
  • I want to take my listening experience to the next level. I want to be pulled into the songs and forget everything around me for a while.
  • I like to be immersed into my music.

Extra information:
  • I've never tried open back, but I don't really think it'd be ideal for my situation. I'll probably stick with closed back.
  • I live in The Netherlands. This means ordering from websites such as Amazon will be hard.
  • I'm on a pretty tight budget, so keep that in mind. I'm still in school, so the amount of money I'm able to spend isn't a lot.
  • I don't really have a preference for wired or wireless. My motherboard doesn't have Bluetooth, so wired would be a better option I guess. But wireless also wouldn't be bad, as long as it's Bluetooth.
    • Can someone tell me if wireless will result in a huge drop in audio quality? I know this is the case with gaming headsets, but will this also be the case with headphones?
  • I've already looked at headphones such as:
    • JBL Synchros E50BT
    • Edifier W800BT]
    • Skullcandy Hesh 2
    • Cooler Master MH751/2
      • I know this is an amazing headset. It's been recommended to a lot of people over at r/Gaming_Headsets and I've heard a lot positive things about it from people that've been using it. But how would it perform in my area?
  • I want to get a headphone, ear buds aren't really something I want.
  • Comfort is a pretty big deal. If it's good enough, I'll take it. \

I hope this was enough information. If there is more that needs to be added, I'll do so. Thanks in advance!

Sennheiser HD 471

TuneInSoul

I like my Audio technica Ad500x. It is only ¥599 in China.
You can buy one.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Closed within your budget... Takstar Pro 82.
(I live in the Netherlands too)
Comfort is good but my 'comfort' may not be your 'comfort'.
It arguably is (one off ?) the best sounding closed headphones in that price range that does not have the typical 'cuppy' closed sound.

Veri

Master Contributor
^agree with last 3 posts :)

OP
S

Skystalker512

Maybe the Shure SRH 440 would suit you. Try to get a listen to them before you buy. I've had good experiences with the SE 215 & SE 535 IEMs.
Unfortunately. these are only available from Amazon.de, which means I have to pay tons of shipping fees. Any other suggestions you might have?

OP
S

Skystalker512

Closed within your budget... Takstar Pro 82.
(I live in the Netherlands too)
Comfort is good but my 'comfort' may not be your 'comfort'.
It arguably is (one off ?) the best sounding closed headphones in that price range that does not have the typical 'cuppy' closed sound.
Those aren't available, as far as I know. Do you have any other recommendations?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There seem to be clones of them as well (Cooler Master MH751 ) but am not sure if it is the same one but fitted with a mic.

At headfi there is a huge thread about this Takstar with links where to buy.
That thread is from a biased shill though.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
The Cooler Master 751/752 are Takstar Pro 82 derivatives. So I agree with @Veri here, great choices. I would prefer the 751 or 752 with a 3.5 mm cable with a mic on the cord for mobile use. But that will put you above €100 I'm afraid. (The USB AMP/DAC/Mic amp is really good on the 752, great for Voip and gaming)

peder2tm

HyperX cloud alpha
I think they are also takstar derivatives and comes with a mic for your gaming needs.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
HyperX cloud alpha
I think they are also takstar derivatives and comes with a mic for your gaming needs.
Yes, the Takstar 80 afaik. They are ok, but to much bass for my taste and I wouldn't wear them outside of my home. They scream GAMING!
The worst with them (compared to mh572) is the analogue volume control and the so and so mic.

maarten

Superlux HD-668B

Costs EUR 30 and has a detailed neutral sound. Has great reviews world wide.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The HD668B is semi open... the OP is looking for closed.
There are closed versions of Superlux headphones.
HD662-EVO, HD662, HD661, HD660, HD669 (check out Thomann)
IMO they all need some modifications to sound 'right'
The headphones with the short cable dongles hanging out have a tendency to break.
Mechanical quality is not as good as Takstar.

bravomail

Is Monoprice 8323 available in your place (costs $20)? Get it and then add HM5 ear pads. In addition to being closed, detailed, highly sensitive, low impedance of 32Ohm, it gives detachable cables with mic. Very nice. But not longevity - mine broke after 2 years (plastic headband).
My experience with Superlux is less positive - they r somewhat hard to drive from mobile devices like phones and tablets. If you have proper power - then go for Superlux, they do have closed-back models.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The Philips are open headphones, the OP mentioned he would go for closed ;)

Name

LOL yeah I guess I should have read... I kind of spammed this thread because I had just responded to another thread asking a similar question about headphones in this price range.

Upon reading the OP and trying to understand the needs, I think you might be better suited to something like the following: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB50...9420259865ffbe65d&qid=1562618887&s=aht&sr=1-1

Since you are not after HiFi audio, and do not have a good dac and amp, you want bass and noise cancellation, and you don't want to spend a lot of money, I recommend earbuds. Your phone and computer will power them just fine, and you can get good isolation with them and good bass when you have good seal.

Top Bottom