• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best audio quality speaker under 400€

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you a lot, I have no to think between the Tufton, Onyx studio, Soundcore X600 and HOM (but not the XL because it is more thant 400€).

I read about the Tufton that the black and gold one is not the same as the white one, is it true ? A guy that have the white one (with the red handle) say that after he buy the black and gold one and was disapointed, like it has less performance than his previous one.
Sorry for the slow reply but in the office doing head-to-head tests with various BT speakers, we always like the HOM Bag of Riddim 2 for sound quality, and the JBL Partybox for maximum loudness with some standard of quality.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Based on this comment I got one. It arrived today and is very impressive.

It's tax-free weekend where we live and my birthday next week so my darling ordered it yesterday and it got here an hour ago.

I'm on the balcony now playing "The Third Power" by Material. Yow!

View attachment 305618

View attachment 305620
I have since plugged the bass ports. What started as "impressive bass" turned into booming annoying bass over a few days. With the ports closed it's better. It's like the Pepsi challenge I suppose or the measure of a good beer is not first impression but do you want another after you finished one

Looks funny in that picture doesn't it? Like a text emoji with a cup of coffee.

Penelinfi

I have since plugged the bass ports. What started as "impressive bass" turned into booming annoying bass over a few days. With the ports closed it's better. It's like the Pepsi challenge I suppose or the measure of a good beer is not first impression but do you want another after you finished one

Looks funny in that picture doesn't it? Like a text emoji with a cup of coffee.
Yeah they have a bit of a bass bump so that it's still punchy outdoors away from buildings, when you all get together and feel alright

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The X600 is massively over hyped online. You can check Alan Ross Reviews on YouTube for sound recordings and frequency response graphs compared to its competitors.
I generally like Soundcore products because they almost all have configurable EQ within the application and specifically they almost always have too much bass until you eq it. But looking at Alan ross latest 'review' looks like they are trying to get a more 'normal' sound by default:

I might get this speaker now as I am going on short holiday and would like a 'nice' bluetooth speaker for the apartment. I would almost certainly measure it with REW first, tweak the EQ for my own personal tastes and test drive it for a few days.

The one concern would be the bass distortion as Alan did mention it and I spotted this diagram as part of DXOmark's review:
1693414795512.png

Form Alan video this is the 'new' FR at 50% volume:
1693415123599.png

alan ross

Reviewer
I generally like Soundcore products because they almost all have configurable EQ within the application and specifically they almost always have too much bass until you eq it. But looking at Alan ross latest 'review' looks like they are trying to get a more 'normal' sound by default:

I might get this speaker now as I am going on short holiday and would like a 'nice' bluetooth speaker for the apartment. I would almost certainly measure it with REW first, tweak the EQ for my own personal tastes and test drive it for a few days.

The one concern would be the bass distortion as Alan did mention it and I spotted this diagram as part of DXOmark's review:
View attachment 308791
Form Alan video this is the 'new' FR at 50% volume:
View attachment 308793
Hi , just to say that is not a frequency response measurement, it is a spectrum analysis of the recording as in the test clip that precedes it. You need to lay the track used against the recording to see the response but even then it is not exact of course, the original track not having any room response applied and the recordings not being made as you would with a measurement mic (i.e straight on axis for on axis response).

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi , just to say that is not a frequency response measurement, it is a spectrum analysis of the recording as in the test clip that precedes it. You need to lay the track used against the recording to see the response but even then it is not exact of course, the original track not having any room response applied and the recordings not being made as you would with a measurement mic (i.e straight on axis for on axis response).
Welcome Alan, Good to know thanks - congrats on your channel - it good to at least have someone using measurements on these bluetooth speakers and trying to push the manufacturers to have better consistent sound.

I have a X600 now but the v3.2.9 firmware and while I haven't gotten to do any quasi-anechoic measurement yet (weather has been shocking in Ireland the last few weeks and I want to do the measurement outside ). From my subjective listening and briefly measuring the speaker indoors I do think the main problem with this speaker is they are trying to drive the bass too hard, there is only so far you can go with the size of its bass driver without introducing lots of distortion. The 'full band' EQ on this speaker is interesting but it's a shame that they couldn't have just provided a PEQ as you obviously can't change the Q values only tweak the slope.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Awesome to have you on board Mr. Ross!
If you'd like, then you could contact @BDWoody or @AdamG247 (Staff members of ASR) to get a Reviewer badge next to your name :)

Last edited:

alan ross

Reviewer
Welcome Alan, Good to know thanks - congrats on your channel - it good to at least have someone using measurements on these bluetooth speakers and trying to push the manufacturers to have better consistent sound.

I have a X600 now but the v3.2.9 firmware and while I haven't gotten to do any quasi-anechoic measurement yet (weather has been shocking in Ireland the last few weeks and I want to do the measurement outside ). From my subjective listening and briefly measuring the speaker indoors I do think the main problem with this speaker is they are trying to drive the bass too hard, there is only so far you can go with the size of its bass driver without introducing lots of distortion. The 'full band' EQ on this speaker is interesting but it's a shame that they couldn't have just provided a PEQ as you obviously can't change the Q values only tweak the slope.
right, this is what ive been saying, the bass is distorting and is overdriven but not everybody is able to hear this and they say it plays clean . Re EQ yes functionality is limited but hey still nice to see them improving the eq capability all the time. I think with latest firmware we now have 9 firmwares at least still live in the real world each with a different eq, crazy. Since i gave them my SN i have not had a single update on either of my units ‍

Top Bottom