• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best audio quality speaker under 400€

OP
R

Roms

I can give you one piece of strong advice about portable speakers. The watt numbers are worse than useless, ignore them. Whether they are accurate, made up entirely, or just inflated (usually the latter two) they don't tell you anything about how loud the speaker goes. (they never mention sensitivity, do they??) My company was fairly honest in terms of wattage, but our competitors were lying about watts so much that my CEO eventually decided to publish peak numbers only. :facepalm:

If you can, find some independent tests that measure SPL and/or frequency response, that's the only thing that will really help you decide other than listening for yourself.

Even in the hi-fi world, watts don't tell you too much about loudness. A large horn speaker like the Klipschorn can do >100dB SPL with around 1 watt. A small inefficient bookshelf speaker may only do about 83dB with 1 watt... a difference of around 10x SPL.

Watts are used as a proxy for loudness because consumers are trained to look for that number, and they feel that they understand there is a direct relationship between watts and loudness. Unfortunately that is only true for a single speaker, you can't compare volume across speakers via watts.

Hello, about HOM, wich one do you advice that could fit my needs ? Thank you.

OP
R

Roms

SOrry I have another question, does anybody tried the Soundcore X600 ? It seems to have pretty good reviews, at least a very good quality / price ratio, and in my bugdet I can buy to for pairing and have a real stereo sound, is it a good idea ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
SOrry I have another question, does anybody tried the Soundcore X600 ? It seems to have pretty good reviews, at least a very good quality / price ratio, and in my bugdet I can buy to for pairing and have a real stereo sound, is it a good idea ?
The X600 is massively over hyped online. You can check Alan Ross Reviews on YouTube for sound recordings and frequency response graphs compared to its competitors.

JSmith

Master Contributor

H2_1800x1800.jpg

JSmith

OP
R

Roms

The X600 is massively over hyped online. You can check Alan Ross Reviews on YouTube for sound recordings and frequency response graphs compared to its competitors.

Thank you a lot. I saw many review of it, and I understand it is not a super quality speaker, but for the price it seem still really good, and it allow to have two for the same price (now in France it is at 169 €), so maybe it is interesting, I don't know. I saw many good review and comparison that show good qualities. Of course I think the hype is because it is not so expensive so people are maybe not really objective, and if it would cost 400€ it will be a "bad" speaker. As the opposite I see many people that say that JBL, Bose etc ... are way overpriced. So it is hard to know where is the truth.
Alan show that there are many firmware, so the product seems in constant improvment.

Thank You Jsmith, so about this one you think sound quality is good ? And is it loud enough ? Is it possible to pair two of them ?

DearSX

I have the Onyx version 7 and it works pretty well. Used it for a kids birthday party outside last week and it was nice. Decently loud, a lot bass and goes on sale often. Its easy to connect and work with. I wish it had USB-C power but you can buy an adapter for it to work. Some versions can be set up in stereo mode.

I paid $170 USD I think. Don't pay the retail $500.

OP
R

Roms

Thank you. I saw the Onyx 7 at 169 €, and the 8 at 250 €. I guess the price difference don't worth it in quality ?

More I read things, more I believe that it is better to have two speakers midle range / or high range but outdated, than to have one high end speaker, am I right ? Fore exemple, two era 100 bettar than one era 300 ?

DearSX

Thank you. I saw the Onyx 7 at 169 €, and the 8 at 250 €. I guess the price difference don't worth it in quality ?

More I read things, more I believe that it is better to have two speakers midle range / or high range but outdated, than to have one high end speaker, am I right ? Fore exemple, two era 100 bettar than one era 300 ?
I think the 7 is fine, the 8 has bluetooth 5.2 so it can save energy and go further, it also has more technology like some kind of sound correction. try to go listen to them in a store, many stores carry them in the E.U. You can also view reviews online for comparison.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can find harman kardon go play or Onyx 4 both have a good sound. Have both and enjoy them when portability is needed

Bach

Maybe Testberchte.de: fits your needs for opnions en valuation on 20 wlan spekers in 2023.

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
Sounds like the House of Marley Get Together 2 XL meets all of your requirements, and looks pretty good too!

OP
R

Roms

Thank you a lot, I have no to think between the Tufton, Onyx studio, Soundcore X600 and HOM (but not the XL because it is more thant 400€).

I read about the Tufton that the black and gold one is not the same as the white one, is it true ? A guy that have the white one (with the red handle) say that after he buy the black and gold one and was disapointed, like it has less performance than his previous one.

nygafre

Not sure if it is the best, but the Sonos Move has checked all our boxes for a simple and good performing portable speaker (inside/outside) No complaints really.

The short assessment: very clean and clear sound with good bass. Good separation of instruments. You can also add the Sonos Sub Mini at a later stage for a more room filling experience.

Never thought I’d buy a Sonos, but yeah here we are.. Worth a demo imo. I also enjoyed some JBL’s when demoing, but they were not as clear as the Sonos (can’t remember the models).

OP
R

Roms

Not sure if it is the best, but the Sonos Move has checked all our boxes for a simple and good performing portable speaker (inside/outside) No complaints really.

The short assessment: very clean and clear sound with good bass. Good separation of instruments. You can also add the Sonos Sub Mini at a later stage for a more room filling experience.

Never thought I’d buy a Sonos, but yeah here we are.. Worth a demo imo. I also enjoyed some JBL’s when demoing, but they were not as clear as the Sonos (can’t remember the models).
Thank you a lot, I have seen it and it seems really good, unfortunatly the price is still to high (450€ here in France) for à 2019 product ... I saw that the move 2 will be launch very soon (september 2023) at 499 $, maybe if the product is "magic" I could make an price "effort", but it has to be really awesome. Sonos has very good reputation, and era 100 and 300 have already awesome reviews.

nygafre

Thank you a lot, I have seen it and it seems really good, unfortunatly the price is still to high (450€ here in France) for à 2019 product ... I saw that the move 2 will be launch very soon (september 2023) at 499 $, maybe if the product is "magic" I could make an price "effort", but it has to be really awesome. Sonos has very good reputation, and era 100 and 300 have already awesome reviews.
Ah, probably worth the wait then if a new version is coming. Or getting the old one on a clearance sale Last time I checked the price was 399$, so they upped the price a bit then.

Have you had the chance to demo any of the suggestions?

OP
R

Roms

Ah, probably worth the wait then if a new version is coming. Or getting the old one on a clearance sale Last time I checked the price was 399$, so they upped the price a bit then.

Have you had the chance to demo any of the suggestions?
No but next week I we go to Bordeaux so I hope to find a shop where I could test some speakers.

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
Just got an email announcing the JBL Charge 5 Wi-Fi, which actually connects using both Bluetooth and WI-FI! That could mean a pretty significant bump in sound quality. I might get one myself!

Last edited:

Multicore

Major Contributor
For sheer listenability I would actually recommend the Bag of Riddim 2 or similar if you can find it.
Based on this comment I got one. It arrived today and is very impressive.

It's tax-free weekend where we live and my birthday next week so my darling ordered it yesterday and it got here an hour ago.

I'm on the balcony now playing "The Third Power" by Material. Yow!

IMG_20230813_143801.jpg

IMG_20230813_143925.jpg

D

Deleted member 48726

Based on this comment I got one. It arrived today and is very impressive.

It's tax-free weekend where we live and my birthday next week so my darling ordered it yesterday and it got here an hour ago.

I'm on the balcony now playing "The Third Power" by Material. Yow!

View attachment 305618

View attachment 305620
Nice. I had a pair of wired in-ear headphones and a pair of over ear ones from HOM many years ago. They were real quality made and sounded great and lasted for many years. I believe the company was started by relatives to Mr. Marley..

Top Bottom