• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best A/D Converter for Turntable to Digital Set-Up

Aaron Garrett

Any suggestions for A/D converters for adding an LP12 to my all digital set-up? It seems like a lot of folks like the RME but it seems like it could be overkill for my needs in terms of its functions. The Motu looks great but I want an AES/EBU out and it seems to be geared more to musicians and to only have a midi AES/EBU out.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Are you looking for line level inputs to use with an existing phono stage, or an all in one solution like the Parks Audio Puffin? That has toslink or coax output options depending on model, so you'd need an adapter for AES/EBU.

OP
A

Aaron Garrett

Are you looking for line level inputs to use with an existing phono stage, or an all in one solution like the Parks Audio Puffin? That has toslink or coax output options depending on model, so you'd need an adapter for AES/EBU.

I have a phono stage so I'm looking for a line level solution with balanced inputs and AES/EBU out.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
That's probably going to be a limited selection aimed at pro audio then. Filtered results at Thomann as an overview.
Odd, for some reason the list does not include the RME ADI-2 FS, which at £499 would be cheaper than any of the other options. Ah, maybe because it does AES out via SPDIF (plus ADAT), so an adapter would still be needed... this cable for the princely sum of £8.90 is well worth a shot. I would also consider a used ADI-2 if you can find one, that's not a slouch either (it gets about as much out of its AK5385A as one can reasonably expect). The much cheaper Behringer DEQ2496 would probably be entirely adequate for vinyl as well (I mean, when high-frequency distortion of the source medium can be up in the whole percent range, who cares about 0.03% in the ADC, right? plus, these actually perform really well if you decide to replace the analog stage).

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I use an RME AD-2 PRO for this purpose. For me, it's important to be able to:
- Monitor the input level to ensure you aren't clipping the ADC
- Be able to set the input sensitivity to best use the dynamic range of the ADC and match levels with other sources
- Be able to EQ the phono to my liking.

So for me RME is 3/3, Behringer DEQ2496 2/3 (no ability to adjust input sensitivity). The Sonifex ADDA and ADDA2 are priced between those and are only 1/3 (adjustable input level sensitivity)

dougi

I use an RME AD-2 PRO for this purpose. For me, it's important to be able to:
- Monitor the input level to ensure you aren't clipping the ADC
- Be able to set the input sensitivity to best use the dynamic range of the ADC and match levels with other sources
- Be able to EQ the phono to my liking.

So for me RME is 3/3, Behringer DEQ2496 2/3 (no ability to adjust input sensitivity). The Sonifex ADDA and ADDA2 are priced between those and are only 1/3 (adjustable input level sensitivity)
Actually on the DEQ2496 you can change input sensitivity between +12 dBu and +22 dBu (balanced). The RME offers more choices and a digital trim (0 to +6dB) which I use a lot to be able to reduce the gain used in the phono stage. (my phono pre is selectable 40/45/50/55/60/65dB). It allows me to run 40dB for MM and get to -5dBFS or so depending on the record.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The DEQ2496 offers 10 parametric EQs compared to 5 of the RME, and also a 31 band graphic and a feedback destroyer. The latter is a notch filter with a very high Q and can be used to suppress 50/60 Hz hum (if this is a problem).

dougi

The DEQ2496 offers 10 parametric EQs compared to 5 of the RME, and also a 31 band graphic and a feedback destroyer. The latter is a notch filter with a very high Q and can be used to suppress 50/60 Hz hum (if this is a problem).
True! I hadn't thought of using the feedback destroyer for that purpose. He should definitely try a DEQ2496. I like the VU meter display on it too.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What DAC will you be feeding this into? Also, is there a particular reason you want AES/EBU out?(maybe that is the only remaining digital input on your DAC) With a TT the optical based ADAT is a good choice as you don't have a direct electrical connection to the rest of the system.

The RME Babyface Pro FS or the Motu 624 would appear to be good choices for your use if you can use the ADAT optical output. The Babyface is probably a little better as it requires only 4 volts for max input on the ADC side vs 8 volts for the MOTU.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...yface-pro-fs-portable-interface-review.12313/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/motu-624-audio-interface-review.9824/

OP
A

Aaron Garrett

What DAC will you be feeding this into? Also, is there a particular reason you want AES/EBU out?(maybe that is the only remaining digital input on your DAC) With a TT the optical based ADAT is a good choice as you don't have a direct electrical connection to the rest of the system.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's going into a Grimm LS1 and AES/EBU is just the simplest way. But I can also do optical or SPDIF if necessary. I hadn't thought of the Babyface -- very interesting!

Top Bottom