• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beresford Caiman SEG Review (Stereo DAC)

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes of course if you are UK based nearish to Worcester and have a Topping or SMSL of similar price let’s do that . I bought my Seg after recommendation from people I trust who have decent systems. But I did listen to two others that I could easily compare to to make sure it was actually ok. I have never both any hi fi in the last 20 years without listening first that’s a mugs game tbh.
There's a meet happening at Himley Cricket Club, Stourbridge Rd, Himley DY3 4LB on 8th May if you want to come along to that, there will be some DACs there including Topping.

Mike4242

Could do although to be fair I might have difficulty transporting my Beauhorns . What kind of ancillaries would be used do you know? I have a hybrid valve based set up of middling quality. But happy to see how Beresford sounds in another system? I will put it in my calendar. Thank you

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could do although to be fair I might have difficulty transporting my Beauhorns . What kind of ancillaries would be used do you know? I have a hybrid valve based set up of middling quality. But happy to see how Beresford sounds in another system? I will put it in my calendar. Thank you
There's a list of equipment here https://audioaddictsforum.com/thread/2213/aa-midlands-bakeoff-equipment-list

I don't think there will be anything like the Beauhorn speakers though, as you say big horns are not easy to transport.

Mike4242

I have just looked at the gear that is coming and some of the analogue sources and the Lector are very interesting . I will definitely try to come although I suspect my interest in comparing cheap Beresfords with cheap Toppings will not be so high on my list with the other gear on show. But will still bring it in any case. My are not the biggest Beaus but still by any means and I don’t currently have anything like a Decware to drive th sadly either. Do a lot of Wam people come to this and on what basis are these sessions held ? Thank you for the info my partner will however hate you .
There's a list of equipment here https://audioaddictsforum.com/thread/2213/aa-midlands-bakeoff-equipment-list

I don't think there will be anything like the Beauhorn speakers though, as you say big horns are not easy to transport.

Mike4242

Apologies for crap typing .
I have just looked at the gear that is coming and some of the analogue sources and the Lector are very interesting . I will definitely try to come although I suspect my interest in comparing cheap Beresfords with cheap Toppings will not be so high on my list with the other gear on show. But will still bring it in any case. My are not the biggest Beaus but still by any means and I don’t currently have anything like a Decware to drive th sadly either. Do a lot of Wam people come to this and on what basis are these sessions held ? Thank you for the info my partner will however hate you .

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of the people attending are members of WAM. It's all arranged ad-hoc, someone has to take the plunge and book a venue, it's based on the 'Build it and they will come' principle.

Last time (2017) around fifty people showed up, plus some civilians who happened to be staying at the hotel and wandered in for a look.

Just tell the wife you've got to go and see a man about a dog.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can I ask a question did you seriously buy an item of hi fi without listening to it first in the context of your own system ?
Yes and and sort of. I had a TC-3520 that I did listen to before purchasing. At the time there were not a lot of DAC / Headphone amps that also acted as a preamp for 200.00. It worked great but it lived it's life.

Mike4242

Yes and and sort of. I had a TC-3520 that I did listen to before purchasing. At the time there were not a lot of DAC / Headphone amps that also acted as a preamp for 200.00. It worked great but it lived it's life.
Ah well if you had some previous experience of the marque I guess that’s ok. Was the Seg not better than the TC -3520?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No. Along with the poor specs and bad sound. There was clicking when the bitrate changed on songs and for some reason probably cost Stan removed the power off filter. I have active speakers so every time I turned the DAC off thud. I've also come to believe the concept of the Dorado to be nonsense.

DAC's should be completely transparent so I have no fear of ordering without audition if it's been tested here. I did buy a Topping D30 Pro and couldn't be happier.

Mike4242

No. Along with the poor specs and bad sound. There was clicking when the bitrate changed on songs and for some reason probably cost Stan removed the power off filter. I have active speakers so every time I turned the DAC off thud. I've also come to believe the concept of the Dorado to be nonsense.

DAC's should be completely transparent so I have no fear of ordering without audition if it's been tested here. I did buy a Topping D30 Pro and couldn't be happier.
Well if you are happy that measurements tell the whole story then I guess you would be okay to buy without audition . I prefer to listen and always within my own system so I am sure what I am getting in terms of a sound I like But if there were other issues with noises/thuds I get thats a real problem. I never got the chance to hear the Topping you bought within my own system only the Q DAC and the Rega DAC. I think there might be a sound preference issue that comes into play?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well if you are happy that measurements tell the whole story then I guess you would be okay to buy without audition . I prefer to listen and always within my own system so I am sure what I am getting in terms of a sound I like But if there were other issues with noises/thuds I get thats a real problem. I never got the chance to hear the Topping you bought within my own system only the Q DAC and the Rega DAC. I think there might be a sound preference issue that comes into play?
I'm 65 and it's 2022. I've come to except certain things. Devices like amps, preamps, DAC's, streamers, optical drives, should be transparent and flat. I no longer trust manufactures to be largely truthful with their claims, so I look for independent testing.

So far in the past 12 months I've ordered without hearing first:

Allo Boss2 (sold because it clicked when bitrates changed, otherise it was a dandy DAC and streamer)
Topping D30 Pro (love it, completely silent and has enough juice to drive my amps)
Topping A30 pro (love it, drives headphones wonderfully and has pass through so I loose no features)
Sennheiser HD6XXX (not perfect)
SVS Micro 3000 (works better than expected, easy to place and is so small)
Genelec G Fives (these won't arrive until August)

Am I concerned? No. After adding the Topping stuff and replacing my two Beresford DAC's, Linn LP-12, Linn Karik, Linn Wakonda my remaining gear Linn Bi-amp LK140's and Ninka's never sounded as good. Why am I replacing the Linn amps and speakers? I want to downsize. The Genelec's and built in amps, they are biamped internally and I trust they will be uncoloured and flat. From there some room correction,and bass management.

Cheers,
Peter

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm 65 and it's 2022. I've come to except certain things. Devices like amps, preamps, DAC's, streamers, optical drives, should be transparent and flat. I no longer trust manufactures to be largely truthful with their claims, so I look for independent testing.
Downsizing at our age is a worthy endeavor!
1645385267000.png

But this would be going a bit too far! I hope you agree...:eek:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Mike4242

So far in the past 12 months I've ordered without hearing first:

Allo Boss2 (sold because it clicked when bitrates changed, otherise it was a dandy DAC and streamer)
Topping D30 Pro (love it, completely silent and has enough juice to drive my amps)
Topping A30 pro (love it, drives headphones wonderfully and has pass through so I loose no features)
Sennheiser HD6XXX (not perfect)
SVS Micro 3000 (works better than expected, easy to place and is so small)
Genelec G Fives (these won't arrive until August)

Am I concerned? No. After adding the Topping stuff and replacing my two Beresford DAC's, Linn LP-12, Linn Karik, Linn Wakonda my remaining gear Linn Bi-amp LK140's and Ninka's never sounded as good. Why am I replacing the Linn amps and speakers? I want to downsize. The Genelec's and built in amps, they are biamped internally and I trust they will be uncoloured and flat. From there some room correction,and bass management.

Cheers,
Peter
Ah my interest has been piqued by reading about the D30pro reviews nothing to do with its measurements though more the sort of sound signature I might possibly like - SO Source /Croft/ Brokkesphere Headphone amp /Beauhorn Senn HD660 and Ergo 2 owner I suspect most off the above might not measure too well though? I do not have the money to order lots of stuff without listening to it. I have not made many sonic mistakes by my approach of using my ears for the money I have paid out over the years .But I am much younger than you nearly 63 lol. I am looking forward to hearing the Topping D30 pro in my system. If it sounds much better than the Beresford will happily move the B on. Although I do not need the Toppings headphone amp function or balanced capability as have much better former already and can’t do latter. Tbh the Beresford pre amp and headphone amp functions were no great shakes but I don’t use those as have no need and would rather money not wasted on those bits.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah my interest has been piqued by reading about the D30pro reviews nothing to do with its measurements though more the sort of sound signature I might possibly like - SO Source /Croft/ Brokkesphere Headphone amp /Beauhorn Senn HD660 and Ergo 2 owner I suspect most off the above might not measure too well though? I do not have the money to order lots of stuff without listening to it. I have not made many sonic mistakes by my approach of using my ears for the money I have paid out over the years .But I am much younger than you nearly 63 lol. I am looking forward to hearing the Topping D30 pro in my system. If it sounds much better than the Beresford will happily move the B on. Although I do not need the Toppings headphone amp function or balanced capability as have much better former already and can’t do latter. Tbh the Beresford pre amp and headphone amp functions were no great shakes but I don’t use those as have no need and would rather money not wasted on those bits.
I would hope that a sound signature should be impossible. Again it's 2022. If you buy something you don't like, ship it back.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Again it's 2022. If you buy something you don't like, ship it back.
Daaaang! You should have told me this when I purchased that Polk R350 center, that I routed to ASR for an exposé.
It would not be right for me to post it for sale at ASR bcuz it truly is a pos and I now use it as a doorstop and waiting on a possible sale at craigslist for half price.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Daaaang! You should have told me this when I purchased that Polk R350 center, that I routed to ASR for an exposé.
It would not be right for me to post it for sale at ASR bcuz it truly is a pos and I now use it as a doorstop and waiting on a possible sale at craigslist for half pr
Sorry, that sucks. Sort of the same feeling I had when I got the newer Beresford. I used ebay.

Mike4242

Maybe sound signature was not the correct term , not all things that measure well sound great (some class D amps? ) and conversely some that don’t measure so well sound fine ( some valve products). I am not sure about the global footprint connected with the arguement about buy it to try it and then ship it back if you dont like it though. But I am a bit old skool , like to take my time with a dem preferably in my room with my own equipment. Although I did take my amps to Bristol and Burton to try speakers out. I am not sure we are going to agree on the if it measures fine it will sound fine to our respective ears. Will find someone with a Topping d30 pro to let me borrow to try

sq225917

Major Contributor
Just because something measures better than something else doesn't mean one has to prefer it. I think that's sometime forgotten on ASR.

Some people just want what they want, and you can't educate that out of them. As we've seen countless times.

Top Bottom