• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benefit of adding amp

harleydave

I recently bought a Yamaha Aventage AVR RX-A2A Is it worth adding an amp to it? Pros/Cons. My speakers are all Klipsch. Or would I gain more benefit by getting a better Sub.

Bookshelf RP-600mii
Center RP- 504cii
Surround RP-402s
Sub R-121sw

OP
H

harleydave

Erin reviewed your speakers and has some advice to get the best out of them. A free upgrade!
Thanks for the link much appreciated. I'm a newbie so this is probably a stupid question but,
"I recommend turning the speaker about 20° out (facing out into the room)"
Does that mean toeing out instead of in?
Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 21114

"I recommend turning the speaker about 20° out (facing out into the room)"
Does that mean toeing out instead of in?
You are correct.
1000001960.jpg
1000001961.jpg

The orange 20° degree line is smoother without the pronounced hump of the 0°(straight at you) and 10° line.

D

Deleted member 21114

As for the sub- measure the room with a mic and REW and see what the results are. If you haven't EQ'd the sub there are massive gains to be made.
As for the amp- you only need an external amp if your receiver is not able to keep up. Is it clipping? Is it getting too hot?

delta76

Major Contributor
I recently bought a Yamaha Aventage AVR RX-A2A Is it worth adding an amp to it? Pros/Cons. My speakers are all Klipsch. Or would I gain more benefit by getting a better Sub.

Bookshelf RP-600mii
Center RP- 504cii
Surround RP-402s
Sub R-121sw
Not worth it. sub is active already (so no need for external amp). Klipsch speakers generally are very efficient so they will not need a lot power power to sound very loud.
You might get better sound by adding another sub, or to upgrade the speakers, not the amp

OP
H

harleydave

As for the sub- measure the room with a mic and REW and see what the results are. If you haven't EQ'd the sub there are massive gains to be made.
As for the amp- you only need an external amp if your receiver is not able to keep up. Is it clipping? Is it getting too hot?
I appreciate your time and knowledge. The receiver is running great, not hot or clipping. I haven't equalized sub. I ordered a mic, and being completely honest, I'm kind of worried about screwing something up. I feel confident after watching and reading tutorials I can perform REW measurements. As far as interpreting and knowing what to adjust after, confidence level extremely low.

OP
H

harleydave

Not worth it. sub is active already (so no need for external amp). Klipsch speakers generally are very efficient so they will not need a lot power power to sound very loud.
You might get better sound by adding another sub, or to upgrade the speakers, not the amp
I've been looking at subs within my budget. Unsure if I should upgrade and get 1 good sub such as a RSL Speedwoofer 12s, SVS, or just add another of what I have to run 2 subs.

D

Deleted member 21114

Klipsch speakers generally are very efficient so they will not need a lot power power to sound very loud.
"The sensitivity is 86dB @ 2.83v/1m, despite Klipsch rating this speaker at 94.5dB (using in-room, half-space conditions)."
They are not efficient. Their marketing department is very efficient with the truth though.

D

Deleted member 21114

I'm kind of worried about screwing something up. I feel confident after watching and reading tutorials I can perform REW measurements. As far as interpreting and knowing what to adjust after, confidence level extremely low.
Luckily 95% of what humans notice about sound is frequency response i.e. how loud each frequency is. It's just a matter of flattening any big peaks. Screwing something up is very difficult if you just cut, never boost.
I would recommend only spending money when you have identified a problem and a solution. Haphazardly throwing money around rarely improves things.

Last edited by a moderator:

delta76

Major Contributor
"The sensitivity is 86dB @ 2.83v/1m, despite Klipsch rating this speaker at 94.5dB (using in-room, half-space conditions)."
They are not efficient. Their marketing department is very efficient with the truth though.
even at 86dB it is not bad - A2A should have no problem pulling 10wpc which make it pretty loud.
I've been looking at subs within my budget. Unsure if I should upgrade and get 1 good sub such as a RSL Speedwoofer 12s, SVS, or just add another of what I have to run 2 subs.
buy 2 good subs. 2 good subs > 1 great sub if you have enough space to put them. but your system might need an overhaul so, think about the whole picture first :)

OP
H

harleydave

even at 86dB it is not bad - A2A should have no problem pulling 10wpc which make it pretty loud.

buy 2 good subs. 2 good subs > 1 great sub if you have enough space to put them. but your system might need an overhaul so, think about the whole picture first :)
I'm too vested in my setup besides subwoofer to revamp everything. I know many people don't like Klipsch and consider them low budget. But I really like how my center, bookshelf, and surrounds perform. I'm just trying to get the best sound and imaging out of what I have. Winters are long in Upstate NY and we watch movies quite a bit. Once motorcycle season comes back, the home theater will probably get 20% use of what it gets now.

delta76

Major Contributor
I'm too vested in my setup besides subwoofer to revamp everything. I know many people don't like Klipsch and consider them low budget. But I really like how my center, bookshelf, and surrounds perform. I'm just trying to get the best sound and imaging out of what I have. Winters are long in Upstate NY and we watch movies quite a bit. Once motorcycle season comes back, the home theater will probably get 20% use of what it gets now.
yeah it is entirely up to you. Klipsch is not bad per se but there are better alternatives in same price range, if music is important. For movies only they probably do not really matter if they are loud enough and they do not distort too much.
So to sum up my suggestion - you'll be fine without an external amp. You can add another sub to your setup, maybe some height speakers if you'd like, and that's about it. Enjoy

OP
H

harleydave

yeah it is entirely up to you. Klipsch is not bad per se but there are better alternatives in same price range, if music is important. For movies only they probably do not really matter if they are loud enough and they do not distort too much.
So to sum up my suggestion - you'll be fine without an external amp. You can add another sub to your setup, maybe some height speakers if you'd like, and that's about it. Enjoy
Which actually makes me think of another question. My surrounds are a little behind and to side of listening position. Can I add heights to front stage?
room1.jpg

delta76

Major Contributor
Nice dogs!
with those wood bars (don't know what it's called actually), you should be able to mount the height speakers directly about your head. You might want to position for optimal location but it is said to be the best to point at you from height. For movies a 5.2.2 setup would be very nice to boot!

Last edited:
OP
H

harleydave

Nice dogs!
with those wood bars (don't know what it's called actually), you should be able to mount the height speakers directly about your head. You might want to position for optimal location it but it is said to be the best to point at you from height. For movies a 5.2.2 setup would be very nice to boot!
I built some acoustic panels to treat reflection points that are now between wood beams across front stage. They definitely made a difference in sound. I'm going to look into height speakers for sure.

Top Bottom