• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Probably a dumb question

harleydave

I'm relatively new to all this so I apologize in advance for what might be a stupid question to a lot of you. I think I'm going to order a mic and try my hand at REW. I have a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2A, and all klipsch rp speakers. Do I need a minidsp also? Can I do correction with REW or do I need something else? I've watched some videos and read some information, confusion set in and it's all out of my wheelhouse presently. I'm really good at installing handlebars, heated grips, exhaust/tune, accessories on motorcycles, this stuff, not so much.

rolfrander

Forum Donor
No, you don't need a minidsp to get value from REW and a mic. You can achieve a lot by experimenting with moving speakers and furniture around and applying different sorts of damping to hard surfaces, using REW to assess the results.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@harleydave Your RX-A2A actually has Room Correction built-in, which Yamaha calls "YPAO".
Unfortunately, this only works with Yamaha's own YPAO microphone.

So you'd have to decide between this YPAO mic with limited functionality, or something more versatile like the UMIK-1.

@OCA Do you know if it's possible to manually configure YPAO like you can with Audyssey?

droid2000

I'm relatively new to all this so I apologize in advance for what might be a stupid question to a lot of you. I think I'm going to order a mic and try my hand at REW. I have a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2A, and all klipsch rp speakers. Do I need a minidsp also? Can I do correction with REW or do I need something else? I've watched some videos and read some information, confusion set in and it's all out of my wheelhouse presently. I'm really good at installing handlebars, heated grips, exhaust/tune, accessories on motorcycles, this stuff, not so much.
All you need is a microphone, REW, and a computer to create EQ filters. But then you need to enter those filters into something to EQ the sound. Can you enter filters into your Yamaha?

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you do get a measurement mic you can also try out filters that you have designed in REW, basically for free, using EqualiserAPO.

I.e. Play music from your PC/laptop (with EqualiserAPO) via an HDMI cable into your amp. You'd probably want to disable any YPAO settings on the amp so that you don't mush together two types of correction.

OP
H

harleydave

@harleydave Your RX-A2A actually has Room Correction built-in, which Yamaha calls "YPAO".
Unfortunately, this only works with Yamaha's own YPAO microphone.

So you'd have to decide between this YPAO mic with limited functionality, or something more versatile like the UMIK-1.
The Umik1 is the one I've been looking at. I have run room correction, made some acoustic panels for reflection points, and leveled speakers to 75db with a meter. This forum is great because it has people like yourself with vast more knowledge than I have. So in your expertise would I benefit from using REW? Is there a tutorial somewhere about translating and implementing corrections that need to be done? Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

OP
H

harleydave

All you need is a microphone, REW, and a computer to create EQ filters. But then you need to enter those filters into something to EQ the sound. Can you enter filters into your Yamaha?
There is a web interface that I can control my avr. I think there is an area where you can make some corrections, I'll have to look into it further.

OP
H

harleydave

If you do get a measurement mic you can also try out filters that you have designed in REW, basically for free, using EqualiserAPO.

I.e. Play music from your PC/laptop (with EqualiserAPO) via an HDMI cable into your amp. You'd probably want to disable any YPAO settings on the amp so that you don't mush together two types of correction.
Is EqualizerAPO a app or downloadable software or is it built in to REW?

Booker

Forum Donor
I did the same thing two years ago. Buy the UMIK-1, download the REW, and use it according to the video by Julian Krause, along with EAPO.

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can't find a good link to a guide for using EqualizerAPO at the moment - maybe someone else can post one.

For some reason they don't seem to publish much information about the "Configuration Editor" and its "Instant Mode" on their wiki:

Really, they should be shouting about it from the rooftops because it is a brilliant minimalist gui. All you need. Absolutely no reason to install any third party gui stuff in my opinion.

OP
H

harleydave

I can't find a good link to a guide for using EqualizerAPO at the moment - maybe someone else can post one.

For some reason they don't seem to publish much information about the "Configuration Editor" and its "Instant Mode" on their wiki:

Really, they should be shouting about it from the rooftops because it is a brilliant minimalist gui. All you need. Absolutely no reason to install any third party gui stuff in my opinion.
Do you know if they have it for MAC? I didn't see it on their download site.

XpanD

Forum Donor

The Instant Mode toggle is pretty much just a safety measure. If it's enabled, any filters you activate go through immediately. If not, you'll have to save the file you're working in (File > Save) to apply changes. Good when you're working with scarier filters that can suddenly go to massive positive gain or the like. (or to protect the interface from accidental clicks if you keep it open somewhere)

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Microphone and REW are for measuring response what you are getting. REW also has a room simulator which can help you predict what would be optimal placement for speakers and sub's. When that part is done you play with it's EQ calculating capabilities or can switch it to by hand and play with filters to get better knowledge what they do and nice graphical representation of it (it's like tuning bikes motor output sort of).
If your YPAO support manual mode you simply type in PEQ's generated by REW to it and measure results. You can also see how good job does the automatic YPAO correction by simply measuring response with and without it. If you don't mind using PC as a source you can do the same with EQ-APO or other software which supports PEQ. For stereo you just need deacent stereo DAC and same goes for more than two chenels or sub's and such then you need multichannel DAC. It's not very hard to learn to use cuple basic PEQ filters and practice makes results better.

Top Bottom