• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BENCHMARK AHB2 vs Burson Timekeeper 3X GT

OP
boomtheroom

boomtheroom

You said why have most people who have had the ahb2 swapped to the timekeepers?.That is an absurd statement, not backed by any evidence other than some YouTube reviewers you’ve heard (links please). Trolling usually follows such a path. Absurd statements based on some anecdotal ”sources” guaranteed to get a rise out of some people. Now you are saying that it is somehow our intellectual requirement to take your initial statement seriously and, if we don’t, you are justified in wondering about our intellectual abilities!
Plenty of data is available on the Benchmark amplifier, little on the Burson. Generally speaking, modern well-designed/constructed amplifiers will sound the same if level matched and compared in a blind testing. You will pay more for extended warranty, longevity, company reputation in dealing with faults and component failures, features, construction materials and, unfortunately, for snake-oil claims.

OP
boomtheroom

boomtheroom

those were the main reviews with comments complementing their observations .. there are others as well.. but as i said i came on here for a more
technical observation and opinion from the members

OP
boomtheroom

boomtheroom

You said why have most people who have had the ahb2 swapped to the timekeepers?.That is an absurd statement, not backed by any evidence other than some YouTube reviewers you’ve heard (links please). Trolling usually follows such a path. Absurd statements based on some anecdotal ”sources” guaranteed to get a rise out of some people. Now you are saying that it is somehow our intellectual requirement to take your initial statement seriously and, if we don’t, you are justified in wondering about our intellectual abilities!
Plenty of data is available on the Benchmark amplifier, little on the Burson. Generally speaking, modern well-designed/constructed amplifiers will sound the same if level matched and compared in a blind testing. You will pay more for extended warranty, longevity, company reputation in dealing with faults and component failures, features, construction materials and, unfortunately, for snake-oil claims.
"Now you are saying that it is somehow our intellectual requirement to take your initial statement seriously and, if we don’t, you are justified in wondering about our intellectual abilities!"
NO didnt mean it like that ... never mind Ill crawl back into my hole...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hell No
i own a perreaux r200i and i want to eventually upgrade. Those 2 amps just look like the main contenders i have found that aren't tooooo ridiculous in price
Why not a dedicated preamp and class D amplifier, as these are most recommended here? Or a DAC with volume control and skip the preamp if you are into digital only.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hell No
i own a perreaux r200i and i want to eventually upgrade. Those 2 amps just look like the main contenders i have found that aren't tooooo ridiculous in price
What would such an "upgrade" bring particularly?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
my amp is old so want something to bring out my sources more purely .. i have a hapz1es for my dac and a xa5400es for my cds
Is it failing in some way? Just took a look, looks like a competent integrated amp from the Stereophile review. Can't imagine that any change will result in your sources being "more purely".

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

caught gesture

Forum Donor
hell No
What is it that you are trying to upgrade?

Edit: I see that you want to bring out my sources more purely. This is you chasing some marketing myth, and I don’t mean to offend you. Many of us have fallen for snake oil in the past. Look first to optimising your room. Your equipment seems to be good enough. Get yourself a measurement mic and REW and dive into your room acoustics. It will be a learning curve but, ultimately, you’ll become the expert on your particular room and how to optimise your audio playback in your particular environment. You’ll understand better the science of audio, learn some stuff, spend less and be able to make greater improvements probably with eq/room specific corrective software/acoustic treatment. You’ll then remember your old self and how you were led by the marketing snake-oil and shake your head in disbelief. At least that was my experience.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hell No
I agree with the other comments here. Your current amp is already better than the 3X GT, and audibly probably indistinguishable from the benchmark.

Save your money - you don't need to upgrade your electronics. Put the money into speakers, and or room treatment/equalisation.

Top Bottom