• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Being liked

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I now have almost as many likes as posts and it puts me in a bit of quandary, because while it is relatively easy to be disliked, it is rather harder to be liked (and remain so).

One thing I have noticed is that the post:like ratio for most of our members stays remarkably stable over time. @restorer-john has had a roughly 1:3 ratio forever. Those that are around 1:2, stay around 1:2, same with 1:1.

We have found that in tracking down puppet accounts, that the puppet accounts have almost the exact same post:like ratio as the original account.

Of course, Adam and I bring in extra Christmas shopping money by selling likes in bulk, so there is that.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
it proves that someone is reading what you wrote
That's my take on it. I may not say anything, but if someone takes the time to make a coherent, sensible post that is pertinent, they get a like.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Of course, Adam and I bring in extra Christmas shopping money by selling likes in bulk, so there is that.

@amirm is under-cutting you on the secondary market from what I have heard as he has a massive surplus of 'likes'. Desperately trying to offload them. He offered me 20,000 but the price was too high. ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound like ChatGPT might have a great shot at being a like magnet then :eek:
The few times it gets something completely right? Probably. The writing is usually coherent enough, but the "facts" are often internet-grade.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The quickest way to get tons of likes is to post funny pictures in the funny-topic. But...who has time for that?
I resemble that remark. :facepalm:

= It is a useless indicator (except for the jokes)
Actually (and arguably)including the jokes.
In all seriousness, other than providing a really lazy way to acknowledge a post with one agrees or has empathy (i.e., without posting a reply, which of course runs up one's post count ;)) -- I would opine that it's a pretty useless feature.
I say this despite striving to be likeable -- or at least mildly entertaining.

The low resolution of ASR's like doesn't help. E.g., someone posts about a terrible tragedy, or death of a member. One, of course, may reply to it, but the only other option one has is to "like" the post. Doesn't feel quite right to me, even though we may infer that the "like" signifies empathy in such cases.

OK, I'll stop...
;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
@mhardy6647 might resemble that remark ;-)
Dang, I need to start reading overnight posts all the way through before posting... :facepalm:

That's me!
1699448647675.png

Yeah, but he would totally own it,

oh... yeah...

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
One thing I have noticed is that the post:like ratio for most of our members stays remarkably stable over time. @restorer-john has had a roughly 1:3 ratio forever. Those that are around 1:2, stay around 1:2, same with 1:1.
That's interesting. Almost as if a post:like ratio gets self-fulfilling. Could it be that people are subconsciously influenced by a member's ratio in their decision to like their post or not?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
That's interesting. Almost as if a post:like ratio gets self-fulfilling. Could it be that people are subconsciously influenced by a member's ratio in their decision to like their post or not?
Only if they happen to check it.
I can't say that I ever have.
Take that for what it is worth.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Only if they happen to check it.
I can't say that I ever have.
Take that for what it is worth.
I just noticed it's right there below the post count. Hmmmm....

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I know I check it. Not all the time (I think) but yeah.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But if you're a contrarian by nature, wouldn't more likes make you less likely to like?

/Yeah I can overthink this

Top Bottom