• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beginner looking for good starter speakers?

MateoAnthony

I’m thinking of getting a set of speakers for my room this christmas, I have a few specific things I’m looking for but I have no idea where to begin. I would love some guidance, or if this is the wrong sub to ask something like this, to be pointed in the right direction. Here’s what I’m looking for:
Size: I’m looking for speakers on the small/medium side, like something that would be set up on a tabletop or bookshelf. Bigger than portable size is okay, but not large freestanding speakers.
Compatibility: I’d like to be able to play music through them off my iPhone, ideally via Bluetooth but a wired connection would be okay. I would also like speakers that would be compatible with a turntable. I have a dinky little crosley all-in-one record player now, but I’d like to upgrade to a better setup at some point in the future, so ideally I would want speakers that could connect with most turntables as well.
Price: Looking to pay $100- $150 for the set. I know nothing so I have no idea if this is reasonable based on what I’m looking for, so really any guidance on this point would be helpful.whatsapp web 192.168.0.1 routerlogin

Last edited:

FooYatChong

I would have a look at these, they get pretty good reviews:

$130 for the 3.5 inch version, $230 for the 4.5
Both Bluetooth and RCA in.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For what you are asking, at your price, your choices are extremely limited. Even with the Eris 4.5, you will have an extremely limited low frequency extension.

At $99, I would suggest you consider the Dayton Audio MK402BTX speakers. They meet your requirements, less the phono preamp if you upgrade turntables later. https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...kshelf-speaker-pair-with-35mm-aux-in--300-467

If you can stretch your budget to $250, I would suggest you consider the Dayton Audio DTA 2.1BT2 system, which combines a small integrated amplifier, a pair of MK402 passive speakers and MKSX4 "subwoofer". This will give you more flexibility and a much fuller sound with solid bass response into the mid 40hz range. https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...x4-subwoofer-21-audio-system-bundle--300-3837

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You just missed the JBL 104 black friday sale, they were going for like $70 shipped. But you can still find them for like $89.99 shipped on ebay. They're normally $150 a pair.

You'll still need a phono preamp to use a turntable on them. But I'll suggest not using your crosley, unless it's the rebadged pro-ject version. Crosleys are known to track at extremely high tracking force, which will damage records with just a few plays.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Think I'd get the Lepai from parts express for $25 and then order a set of Micca MB42X from Amazon for $80. Actually, if you also ordered a Fiio BTR1k from Amazon for $40 you have bluetooth connectivity and be right at the $150 budget more or less...

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
In lieu of bt, and assuming you have a home 2.4g wifi, you could use something like this to feed the Lepai:
Net10 LG Rebel 4 4G LTE Prepaid Smartphone (Locked) - Black - 16GB - Sim Card Included - CDMA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QHQ79XH/

$30. Throw away the Net 10 SIM and other stuff. Works fine on wifi without it. Add a 32gb microSD. A 3.5mm male to RCA male to the Lepai.

Stock Android 8.1. Install Amazon music. Tidal, Spotify - whatever player. You now have a $30 streaming DAP for for your new amp/speakers..

The processor in this thing is a QualComm Snapdragon 425, and the internal DAC and audio out via 3.5mm actually sounds not bad..

For another $10, use an Echo Input to feed your Lepai, allowing the LG Rebel 4 DAP to operate wireless..
Echo Input - Bring Alexa to your own speaker- White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFRKV9K/

Last edited:

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Although they're discontinued, Chromecast audio is still available and still works well. I still prefer them over any BT implementation when at home.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In lieu of bt, and assuming you have a home 2.4g wifi, you could use something like this to feed the Lepai:
Net10 LG Rebel 4 4G LTE Prepaid Smartphone (Locked) - Black - 16GB - Sim Card Included - CDMA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QHQ79XH/

$30. Throw away the Net 10 SIM and other stuff. Works fine on wifi without it. Add a 32gb microSD. A 3.5mm male to RCA male to the Lepai.

Stock Android 8.1. Install Amazon music. Tidal, Spotify - whatever player. You now have a $30 streaming DAP for for your new amp/speakers..

The processor in this thing is a QualComm Snapdragon 425, and the internal DAC and audio out via 3.5mm actually sounds not bad..

For another $10, use an Echo Input to feed your Lepai, allowing the LG Rebel 4 DAP to operate wireless..
Echo Input - Bring Alexa to your own speaker- White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFRKV9K/

Now this is just true budgetary genius.

TimW

Major Contributor
I second the recommendation of the Edifier R1280DB powered speakers. I work at a little HiFi shop on occasion and we sell a lot of these, often along with an entry level turntable from Audio Technica. This version has bluetooth built in so you can connect your iphone or hook up an analog source. The Crosly and entry level turntables have phono preamps built in so you don't need anything else to play records as well. It's only short term anecdotal evidence, but we've never had anyone bring them back with issues. The included remote and tone controls are really nice to have and make this a great option in my opinion. We have a demo setup with these and I listen to them all day long while I work without complaint.

garbulky

Major Contributor
As they said your budget is simply not enough. At the price you are looking at you need to look for active speakers - but it's still not enough. You are right in the lifestyle price range of the amazon devices. My hearty reccomendation would go to the Emotiva Airmotiv 4 which you can find used on the Emotiva forums by posting on the emporium section. Expect to pay about $200-250 for that.
maxresdefault.jpg

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Budgeter

I believe it is really hard to find for the pair of powered speakers with that much function in $150 and below price range, unless you buy used stuff. However, in case you might want a passive one, I strongly recommend Sony SSCS5 ($73.00 on Amazon as of now). For another $77, probably you will be able to find gears that match your requirement.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I wouldn't get these. I had the slightly more expensive model to use at my desktop. They are okay for games, YouTube and some background music...but they aren't really good enough for actually listening to music. The low end is just a distorted mess with a lot of resonance. The only advantage these give is that they have many inputs.

pk500

$100 powered speakers? Aside from some patient scouring of your local classifieds, I can't think of anything.

Edifier R1280T. A damn good entry-level powered speaker set for $100 at Amazon that punches WAY above its weight.

Top Bottom