• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Peterinvan

Moderate Dionysianism

Mr. Nicolai delivers again:

BTW with this one I experienced Amir's famous Vibrating Earlobes Effect™ for the 1st time:oops: courtesy of the THX887 and my good ol' HE4XX (EQed).

I'm EQing mostly by eye and by the nice graph I stumbled upon here on ASR (can't remember who posted it, apologies for not crediting the member). Someone pls run a proper spectrum on this and also on post#158, so I can understand what's going on;) Thanks!

Attachments

• EQ Tips.png
    EQ Tips.png
    133.2 KB · Views: 87

fmessier6

I wanted to contribute to this fantastic thread with two tracks I wrote, this one from 2015 (sub bass from 1:41)

And this one from 2017 (bass from 1:07).

It would be interesting to see a detailed spectrogram from both. For Waves, the lowest should be a sine playing the F and E notes, whilst for Particles and Fractals I don't exactly remember how the bass was structured but both session files were huge (500+ audio tracks) and I was still honing my mixing skills so there might have been some conflicts in that region since there I can guarantee there wasn't an EQ/highpass on each single track. I was also mixing on HS8 and AKG K240 so I'm sure I missed some details in the bass as well, but I did my best to have a tight and not overcrowded region.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanted to contribute to this fantastic thread with two tracks I wrote, this one from 2015 (sub bass from 1:41)

And this one from 2017 (bass from 1:07).

It would be interesting to see a detailed spectrogram from both.
I'll supply them later here.

EDIT: Done.

Francesco Berta - Waves ft. Anne Van Den Hoogen.m4a.png

Francesco Berta - Particles and Fractals.m4a.png

Last edited:

fmessier6

Should be mentioned this is a solo piano piece. The piano is rather large tho
Blog_16_large.jpg

It would be interesting to know why the Una Corda virtual instrument from Native Instruments sounds so drastically different from the sound achieved in the recording of Solo (Nils Frahm).

Same instrument, but the Una Corda from NI sounds like a toy. Very little bass, zero presence compared to the recording. It's the only purchase I've regretted, I should have flown to Hungary and recorded the piano there directly.

Godataloss

It would be interesting to know why the Una Corda virtual instrument from Native Instruments sounds so drastically different from the sound achieved in the recording of Solo (Nils Frahm).

Same instrument, but the Una Corda from NI sounds like a toy. Very little bass, zero presence compared to the recording. It's the only purchase I've regretted, I should have flown to Hungary and recorded the piano there directly.
Could it be how Frahm mic'd it? I know he uses some unconventional techniques.

dasdoing

Major Contributor

look at the huge size diference of the instruments

fmessier6

IIRC Native Instruments only spent a day there, and Nils Frahm is pretty good with microphones.

If you compare two felt piano recordings from the same year, Saman by Olafur Arnalds and My Friend The Forest by Nils, the latter is absolutely phenomenal, whilst Saman sounds like Olafur recorded it with a couple of stereo mics, played once and called it a day. My humble opinion of course.

Godataloss

If I recall correctly they sampled the same exact piano Nils used in his record Solo. So we shouldn't hear drastic differences.
I think Frahm also alters the hammers themselves- wraps them in felt and records from non-traditional places within the instrument itself.

Top Bottom