• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Yes the first (0-th) channel is left. In DTS/AAC it is the centre channel, but we don't have than in stereo :p
Found this while verifying.
Thanks!

You might have missed the edits I made in my prior reply.

In your chart, it seems yellow color can be from a range of about -15db to ~0db. So it is very hard for me to tell if there are any dB difference between the yellow dots using my phone. Do you have more detail breakdown of the yellow dots db around the 30hz range?

If you listen to it using a sub bass capable headphone, do you sense stronger shakes on the right?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

snaimpally

Kristi Huke's cover of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" as jazz lounge, with bass, drums, and piano, is excellent. The recording quality is quite nice and includes acoustic bass:

snaimpally

Almost any song from Timbuk3 features good bass:

Propheticus

Thanks!

You might have missed the edits I made in my prior reply.

In your chart, it seems yellow color can be from a range of about -15db to ~0db. So it is very hard for me to tell if there are any dB difference between the yellow dots using my phone. Do you have more detail breakdown of the yellow dots db around the 30hz range?

If you listen to it using a sub bass capable headphone, do you sense stronger shakes on the right?

Thanks again!
On both my headphones no difference at all.

Same image with a scale of 20dB, really near identical :
Heilung - Traust (official track premiere)-HVw_1RZncec-2.png

Limited to 50Hz instead of 120, very minute difference:
Heilung - Traust (official track premiere)-HVw_1RZncec.png

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
On both my headphones no difference at all.

Same image with a scale of 20dB, really near identical :
View attachment 156081

Limited to 50Hz instead of 120, very minute difference:
View attachment 156082
Thanks! Your charts are very helpful!

I see one more line for the right channels for the one limited to 50 hz. Left channel I see one line, the second one very faint. Right channel I see two lines, the bottom one seems the have more brightness than the one for left channel. Do you see the differences? May be that additional line is where the additional right side shakes came from?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you able to do the same analysis, but for each individual channel?

In my home stereo setups, I sensed more shakes on the right side of my body. Using AKG 371, I also felt more pressure on the right. It would be great if stronger right side feels can be confirmed with your analysis.

Thanks!
Channel 1:
Heilung - Traust (official track premiere).m4a.ch1.png

Channel 2:
Heilung - Traust (official track premiere).m4a.ch2.png

Channel 2 seems to be a bit louder (EDIT: when looking at amplitude over time).

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Channel 1:
View attachment 156084
Channel 2:
View attachment 156085
Channel 2 seems to be a bit louder (EDIT: when looking at amplitude over time).
Edited: Not sure what the numbers meant, looking at the amplitude over time, I see channel 1 closer to 15000 on the first peak and channel 2 closer to 19000. I am assuming higher number is louder.

Thanks for checking!

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Post some nice examples of tracks that can challenge your system/headphones with lower spectrum notes.
Try to include not only tracks from a "reference test suite" category but also those that are fun to listen (or you like personally).
Although it's natural to expect some electronic music "killer tracks" with all that subbass, I'd love to see here "conventional" music as well.

Feel free to give a spectrum analysis screenshot for illustration if you like, though I suggest hiding it inside a "spoiler".

PS: if you embed media, always write artist/title as plain text as well
The Boston Audio Society’s Test CD has a perfect version of The Organ Symphony with the famous 16Hz note, clear as a pipe :)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Although I also posted the same on the tread entitled "Stereo Bass using subwoofers", please allow me sharing it here again.

Even though just personally this type of synthetic music is out of my preference, I downloaded the intact mp4 video by 4K Video Downloader for analysis.

I extracted the sound into intact aiff format using JRiver MC28, and loaded the aiff file into Adobe Audition 3.0.1 for analysis. The entire track spectrum is;
WS002448.JPG

Then I selected the 1:05 - 2:20 portion for Fq analysis;
WS002449.JPG

Averaged Fq response of 1:05 - 2:20 portion in 20 Hz - 20 kHz scale;
WS002450.JPG

And also in enlarged 20 Hz - 200 Hz scale;
WS002451.JPG

I also analyzed the 1:05 - 2:20 portion in FFT size 65536 (which enables precise Fq response down to ca. 10 Hz, and shown in 10 Hz - 80 Hz scale;
WS002453.JPG

I analyzed the 1:05 - 2:20 portion in FFT size 65536 (which enables precise Fq response down to ca. 10 Hz, and shown in 10 Hz - 80 Hz scale and in -9 dB to +39 dB vertical scale;
WS002456.JPG

Of course, I heard the track by my multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier stereo system in latest configuration, and found the sound in my listening environment is just reflecting the above measurements.

Edit:
There are only ca. 1dB R to L differences in 16 Hz - 24 Hz and 32 Hz - 35 Hz area, as you can see in above spectrum. If I would get very close to the sub-woofers, I may feel the differences by my body or hand placed at the bass reflection port of my Yamaha YST-SW1000... Will try it soon. Just for your reference, relative gains for L & R sub-woofers are very carefully fine tuned to be equal with each other.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me share this again here, although I posted the same at here in another thread.

I quickly but carefully compared the L and R sub-woofer sound of the specific track we are discussing.

Using the flexible "Solo" button in my software crossover DSP/EQ "EKIO", I could easily and precisely compared between them;
WS002457.JPG

Now, I could hear by my ears and also could feel by my body the 1 - 2 dB differences in L-sub and R-sub at listening position and also at very close to the subs.

Please refer to my post here for the details of my latest multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier system configurations with L & R sub-woofer Yamaha YST-SW1000.

BTW, please note that I can easily fine adjust the relative gains for L-sub and R-sub by EKIO's gain settings and/or by the volume dials of L & R sub-woofer Yamaha YST-SW1000.

This post would be the end of my participation in this thread regarding the specific music/video track.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
this kick is pressury af, not sure if it's my room. still haven't found out how to add a real time spectrum analyser to the windows audio chain

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually the whole album is great and superb production but let me just put that here...

Artist: Meta & The Cornerstones
Album: Dia
Piece: Breeze

Or from the same album "Love in the Ghetto"

Spectrograms:

Meta & The Cornerstones - Breeze.m4a.png

Meta & The Cornerstones - Love in the Ghetto.m4a.png

hege

Forum Donor
I'm disgusted.. but what a great test track. No probs enjoying it 110dBZ (120dB LZpeak) here. :p

Beyoncé -  Yoncé_Partition (Official Lyric Video)-6s813IJphhg.png

Top Bottom