• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Balanced vs SE output help

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am currently using my preamp's (schiit freya s) balanced outputs connected directly to my amp's only (balanced) inputs .
I want to insert an equalizer in between the pre and the amp but the equalizer only has SE input/outputs.
The simplest way i can do this is to use the Schiits SE outputs to the equalizer but i would have to use an SE to balanced cable to connect the equalizer to the amp.
I have read (but dont know and why i am asking) that an SE to balanced connection could create some problems at the connection point. In addition, using the Schiits SE outs, i will lose the additional boost that balanced outputs provide.

Will my insertion of the equalizer cause problems with amp due to the SE to balanced conversion i have to do? Would appreciate some education in this area.

TIA

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I basically have the opposite situation, a balanced EQ between unbalanced pre-amp and amp. No issues.

Really, people fret over this stuff too much. Just hook it up. In the unlikely even there’s a problem, you’ll know within seconds.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I basically have the opposite situation, a balanced EQ between unbalanced pre-amp and amp. No issues.

Really, people fret over this stuff too much. Just hook it up. In the unlikely even there’s a problem, you’ll know within seconds.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
yah, since i dont understand it well enough i do wonder. I have read your situation is the one you DO NOT have to worry about. My situation COULD be a problem and therefore why i inquired
ITs not about knowing in seconds its also about causing a problem with down stream components but also spending money on cables and/or connectors that may not be needed. I prefer to plan ahead and collect information, then react. Rather than ready, fire, aim i prefer the ready, aim, fire sort of process

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The way you're planning to do this is the easiest and least problematic. As you say, you can use the SE outputs into the equaliser, then the simplest is to buy a RCA-XLR Male adapter and use normal RCA-RCA cables. That should work fine.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can make an RCA-XLR male cable up very easily. On the XLR, just strap pins 1 &3 together and take those to the cable screen, cable inner to XLR pin 2.

In the very unlikely possibility of hum, just break the connection between pins 1 and 3, with the cable inner to pin 2 and the screen to pin 3, leaving pin 1 unconnected.

S.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
By far the best method would be to sell the SE Equalizer and buy the Behringer DEQ2496 and keep it all balanced and get a better equalizer in the process.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its so funny how quite often when i pose a question ASR and the majority of responses don't answer your question but instead provide opinion/ assumptions or responses that are not helpful within the context of the original post. Yet these same people who do respond, are likely capable and smart/experienced enough to provide an answer to "the" question.
Thank you serge for your initial response. That was helpful. I know by reading many of your responses, i can trust and value your input. I have an rca to xlr cable (not adapter) so no soldering (especially with my skill) needed

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
an awful lot of sense because its not your money. how about you pay for it?
Indeed. I fully accept the blame for agreeing with this. It's not my money, but I still think it's a helpful suggestion. Depending on what your existing equaliser is, you might even find that you can sell it for more than buying a used Behringer, or the difference won't be great. The DEQ2496 is a very good product, so worth considering.

S.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
an awful lot of sense because its not your money. how about you pay for it?

You can get them used for about $200. I paid $150 for mine.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Its so funny how quite often when i pose a question ASR and the majority of responses don't answer your question but instead provide opinion/ assumptions or responses that are not helpful within the context of the original post. Yet these same people who do respond, are likely capable and smart/experienced enough to provide an answer to "the" question.

That's a lot to ask of people. This is a forum, not a support center ;)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Its so funny how quite often when i pose a question ASR and the majority of responses don't answer your question but instead provide opinion/ assumptions or responses that are not helpful within the context of the original post.

Once the original question has been answered, which it was very well in post #4, you are finding an issue with people trying to be helpful, by giving you an option or two you might not have known about or considered?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Once the original question has been answered, which it was very well in post #4, you are finding an issue with people trying to be helpful, by giving you an option or two you might not have known about or considered?

Spiky.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sergeauckland already answered the question... all I could do is suggest an alternative route.
Given the capabilities of the Behringer and its low price it is something that could be considered as an alternative route to keep it all balanced.
The DEQ2496 is unboubtable much more versatile as other (graphic) equalizers and on top of that has programmable presets other processing etc.

Afterall, you did buy balanced gear (I assume on purpose) and then remove all of its potential benefits (groundloop issues) by making all signals SE.

So, while it is not my money I simple suggested something that very likely you may not considered and do justice to the all balanced setup you already bought.

Last edited:

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
At one time I wanted to play a turntable via the Behringer DEQ2496 (I have one and use it for room EQ). The phono amp was RCA only so I bought cables that were RCA to XLR. The Behringer is a digital EQ player but has an ADC and DAC. I was able to connect to the analogue in of the Behringer via the RCA to XLR cable, use its ADC to convert to digital, EQ in digital, then move the digital signal to another DAC via XLR-XLR balanced cable. This all worked well. (My other input source was a CD Transport which connected to the Behringer's digital input via balanced XLR cables)

sergeauckland's idea of RCA-XLR adapters to stick on the end of your RCA cables sounds the simplest solution.

win

On an eq made for SE only, you're going to feed it a 4v signal instead of the 2v it is expecting if you use that adapter cable. I would worry about clipping. You should use the SE output, it makes no sense to take the balanced out and adapt it.

what is the point of all of the better, more expensive balanced gear if you're going to saddle it with an SE EQ?

and if you're complaining about quality of answers, maybe next time improve the quality of your question. You didn't even mention what eq this is.

Top Bottom