• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Balanced Line Output from MiniDSP 2x4HD (help!)

OP
aasearles

aasearles

Forum Donor
Is the full cable to headphone cable to headphones all balanced (Do the headphones have a balanced connector - or are you going from XLR to headphones via a balanced to unbalanced converter).
Here is the cable I'm using to connect the headphones:
s-l1600.jpg

OP
aasearles

aasearles

Forum Donor
This could suggest that in SE input mode you can still have balanced output drive.
It could also suggest that in SE output mode balanced input can be used but it could also not be the case.
I believe this is true in both cases. I've heard SE input through both SE and balanced output modes. I've also heard 'balanced' input through both output modes, but the signal I'm hearing isn't complete. Only half of the signal (hot) is being output from the amp. The inverted cold side isn't combining, which is my problem.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well as far as I can tell, from the info you've provided this should work. Particularly confusing is that touching the hot input causes noise, where toching the cold input does not - this is with nothing else connected. If that was done with differential mode enabled, then it implies the hot and cold input circuits are different - and therefore not balanced.

I think only Loxjie could explain now what is going on, based on the internal architecture of their amp.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I believe this is true in both cases. I've heard SE input through both SE and balanced output modes. I've also heard 'balanced' input through both output modes, but the signal I'm hearing isn't complete. Only half of the signal (hot) is being output from the amp. The inverted cold side isn't combining, which is my problem.

It is possible that the XLR input is not truly balanced and the balanced inputs are only there for convenience. In such case the cold side of balanced is simply not used.
You can check by disconnecting L and R 'hot' from the mini dsp. When the sound disappears then this is the case.

It is also possible that it is used but in balanced out mode the gain is cut in half opposite RCA in.
In this case removing the cold sides should result in 6dB lower signal but will be the same level when swictching between XLR and RCA input.

Last edited:
OP
aasearles

aasearles

Forum Donor
Well as far as I can tell, from the info you've provided this should work. Particularly confusing is that touching the hot input causes noise, where toching the cold input does not - this is with nothing else connected. If that was done with differential mode enabled, then it implies the hot and cold input circuits are different - and therefore not balanced.

I think only Loxjie could explain now what is going on, based on the internal architecture of their amp.
Agree, my thoughts exactly. Guess I will reach out to them about it.

It is possible that the XLR input is not truly balanced and the balanced inputs are only there for convenience. In such case the cold side of balanced is simply not used.
You can check by disconnecting L and R 'hot' from the mini dsp. When the sound disappears then this is the case.

It is also possible that it is used but in balanced out mode the gain is cut in half opposite RCA in.
In this case removing the cold sides should result in 6dB lower signal but will be the same level when swictching between XLR and RCA input.
I really hope the P20 is not falsely claiming, but the thought has crossed my mind.
If so, Loxjie would have a bit of explaining to do:

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 10.38.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 10.38.16 AM.png

I will try disconnecting the hot and post the results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom