• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Output to Subwoofer

TSD

Hello All - I have a 2.1 system where the sub has a two RCA (Right/LFE) inputs. My miniDSP Flex outputs 3&4 could singly or both be used to send signals to the sub. And I need to get a longer sub cable. Thinking cable configurations: Are there pros/cons to combining (1) inputs 1&2 into output 3 out to the sub vs (2) sending input 1 to output 3 and input 2 to output 4 and using a dual cable (4 jacks) vs a single cable (RCA jack on each end)? Thought I would do option one (per the miniDSP instructions) for sub integration. Should I be using a one jack to two cable? One to one cable? Will option two not work the way I think because I'm attempting to send two channels into one (at the sub)? Thank you in advance!

madrac

Are you sending the Wiim Pro L/R outs into the Flex and then Flex outs 1 & 2 to your Left & Right main speakers and Flex out 3 to the sub? in other words, trying to integrate mains and subs with the Flex? in any case, only 1 output from Flex to 1 sub input

Anthony LoFi

Hi TSD, Welcome to ASR.

The first thing to do is correctly understand how your active sub uses its two RCA inputs.
Most subs have two inputs for the summation of both L & R channels from your preamp. in you case your Flex stereo inputs being able to be routed to the 4 outputs.

Read your sub instructions from the manufacturer.
Usually the L sub input is mono and the second R input is summed internally by the sub active controls to mix both L & R channels.

As I understand it, I think you know this but are asking how to physically connect your Flex to your sub?

Your two proposed methods would both work and I believe have the same audio outcome.
I think simpler is better, so routing the Flex stereo inputs L & R to both outputs to output 3, with one RCA cable going to your sub mono input RCA.
I don't think there is any benefit being able to correct each sub channel to the two (3&4) Flex outputs where you can individually adjust gain, PEQ or cross-over them to your sub actives summing them to drive your speaker.

Others here may have ideas Im not aware of that do have a benefit in using two channels feeding you sub.

You will have other issues to experiment with in deciding on your cross-over filters frequency and types (12db/octave - 49 db/octave).
Also physical placement time delays if needed and gain structure.
You seem to have read up on sub implementation which miniDSP has a wealth of information.

All the best.

OP
TSD

TSD

Hi TSD, Welcome to ASR.

The first thing to do is correctly understand how your active sub uses its two RCA inputs.
Most subs have two inputs for the summation of both L & R channels from your preamp. in you case your Flex stereo inputs being able to be routed to the 4 outputs.

Read your sub instructions from the manufacturer.
Usually the L sub input is mono and the second R input is summed internally by the sub active controls to mix both L & R channels.

As I understand it, I think you know this but are asking how to physically connect your Flex to your sub?

Your two proposed methods would both work and I believe have the same audio outcome.
I think simpler is better, so routing the Flex stereo inputs L & R to both outputs to output 3, with one RCA cable going to your sub mono input RCA.
I don't think there is any benefit being able to correct each sub channel to the two (3&4) Flex outputs where you can individually adjust gain, PEQ or cross-over them to your sub actives summing them to drive your speaker.

Others here may have ideas Im not aware of that do have a benefit in using two channels feeding you sub.

You will have other issues to experiment with in deciding on your cross-over filters frequency and types (12db/octave - 49 db/octave).
Also physical placement time delays if needed and gain structure.
You seem to have read up on sub implementation which miniDSP has a wealth of information.

All the best.
Thank you. I will keep it simple And yes, i have several other issues to work on!

Last edited:
OP
TSD

TSD

Are you sending the Wiim Pro L/R outs into the Flex and then Flex outs 1 & 2 to your Left & Right main speakers and Flex out 3 to the sub? in other words, trying to integrate mains and subs with the Flex? in any case, only 1 output from Flex to 1 sub input
Yes, that’s correct. I will make it one out, one in connection. Thanks

Top Bottom