• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

B&W 804 D4 review and measurements by Stereophile

Jukebox

Courtesy to mr. John Atkinson and Stereophile we have the measurements of the new 804 D4. For many this speakers could be the best bang for buck in the 800 D4 series and the one with the most upgrades compared with the older model (reverse wrap cabinet; down fire port + plinth, new spider for the midrange, aluminum back plate...etc).
Now the look I personally consider beautiful, the sound is not for everyone but some aspects of the measurements are very interesting, like the very low impedance, the great rigid cabinet, not so great port resonance and of course somehow excessive high frequencies.
Didn't tested them personally yet, should happened next week.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Tangband

Major Contributor
Courtesy to mr. John Atkinson and Stereophile we have the measurements of the new 804 D4. For many this speakers could be the best bang for buck in the 800 D4 series and the one with the most upgrades compared with the older model (reverse wrap cabinet; down fire port + plinth, new spider for the midrange, aluminum back plate...etc).
Now the look I personally consider beautiful, the sound is not for everyone but some aspects of the measurements are very interesting, like the very low impedance, the great rigid cabinet, not so great port resonance and of course somehow excessive high frequencies.
Didn't tested them personally yet, should happened next week.

Really good nonresonant cabinet. But horrible frequency response. Putting a tweeter on top of a loudspeaker is a really bad idea indeed. But nice looking speaker.
370A47FA-9466-4467-AFE2-C8D8B0161D79.jpeg

BF17614E-DF8B-44D8-9BD9-5301076899E8.jpeg

OP
Jukebox

Jukebox

I saw the discussions there but now that the review is online I thought it deserve a separate discussion for this model only.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just don’t like B&W. Too mainstream, and mediocre performance for a lot of money.

DSJR

Major Contributor
They cost how much?

Bah humbug from me, but if this was a BBC Thin-wall model or an ATC/PMC, they'd be absolutely roasted to a cinder (domestic PMC's do mimic some of these characteristics I think), yet being B&W with all the hi-tech facilities and expertise at their disposal, this dreadful performance is somehow excused as 'enigmatic...'

I think JA should get out his old M801's and do an appreciation of how good B&W used to be.....

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure? the image shows one of the biggest crossover mismatches i have ever seen.
I am totally sure, everything is relative, just look at these B&Ws in comparison:

511B800fig5.jpg

1205802fig5.jpg

518BW702fig5.jpg

The 804 D4 looks very smooth in comparison:
1221BW804fig5.jpg

Somafunk

Major Contributor

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Top Bottom