• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

B&O's Beolab 90 isit the speaker that could?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Beolab 5?

Ok, you made me look:

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Kal
The only time that I heard the Beolab 5s, they were in a B&O shop and sounded similar to, perhaps not as extreme as, your experience. However, the 90s sounded nothing like that in the 2 days I spent with them.
Hi, two days with them!
May I ask where and how did you manage that?
I am going to hear them this weekend, probably in a noisy shop for five minutes, a couple of people I respect believe they are the best thing ever , so looking forward to hearing them for myself.
Keith.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't share Ethan opinion's of the Beolab 5. To me these are excellent systems.
The 90 could be the end of it all for some . The audiophile world may receive them as usual , they would need to change the PC and drop in some Audiophile Ethernet cable to get the best of these but ... I need to audition those...We'll see.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
I don't share Ethan opinion's of the Beolab 5.

I've seen some very different opinions from non-industry types.

The audiophile world may receive them as usual , they would need to change the PC and drop in some Audiophile Ethernet cable to get the best of these but
No, the biggest issue is they would have to learn how to use a smartphone to run all the apps :D

Mod edit: posts need to be respectful.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
In Struer, at B&O's research facility.
Kal Hi, I see! Well that is the place, have you reported your thoughts somewhere?
Aplogies if I have missed them.
The room in the video is a touch on the bare side isn't it!
Keith.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Made an appointment to hear the 90's this Saturday at the B&O store in Hanover Square, hardly two days in Denmark but it will have to do!
Keith.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Made an appointment to hear the 90's this Saturday at the B&O store in Hanover Square
Hopefully a room furnished like any "living" room, to show the speakers true capabilities.
Not that there is anything wrong with iso-ward padded cells, if you tastes lean that way. YMMV.

cheers,

AJ

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I will rip out ,with my teeth any extraneous pillows, I want to ask about polar response and if , as you surmised the bass is cardiod throughout the full range.
Keith

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Kal Hi, I see! Well that is the place, have you reported your thoughts somewhere?
Aplogies if I have missed them.
The room in the video is a touch on the bare side isn't it!
Keith.
This is not the room in which I heard them. Report in Stereophile October 2015, page 16.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Kal Hi your report doesn't appear to be available online, do you have a link?
Keith.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thanks Ray and Kal, fascinating stuff and a very nicely written piece.
I must make a note of the archive.org site.
Keith.

Ethan Winer

Industry Insider
I don't share Ethan opinion's of the Beolab 5. To me these are excellent systems.
Perhaps they'd sound better in a room with proper acoustic treatment. That would at least give them half a shot at decent imaging. In the mostly untreated room I heard them in they were truly awful. I'm pretty sure most people would have the same opinion if they heard what I heard.

--Ethan

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Perhaps they'd sound better in a room with proper acoustic treatment.
Or if you listened blind where your strong biases were suppressed. NRC listening test found the bipolar Mirage M1 (near omni like the B&O) to be the highest rated speakers at the time frame of their release. Those tests of course were blind, strong biases suppressed, not sighted.

In the mostly untreated room I heard them in they were truly awful. I'm pretty sure most people would have the same opinion if they heard what I heard.
There is zero basis to believe this, since scientific evidence to date show the opposite, for all listener types including Pros, overwhelming favor untreated living space type rooms when listening for pleasure, as all here do.
Ethan, until you can provide evidence to support your assertions, they will remain just that. Being an AES member, good luck finding any.
Btw, this thread is about the B&O 90, which builds on everything going back to the NRC.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
NRC listening test found the bipolar Mirage M1 (near omni like the B&O) to be the highest rated speakers at the time frame of their release.
The B&O Beolab 5 is not omnidirectional despite its appearance. It was B&O's initial attempt at controlled dispersion using physical construction rather than the heavy lifting in the 90.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
The B&O Beolab 5 is not omnidirectional despite its appearance. It was B&O's initial attempt at controlled dispersion using physical construction rather than the heavy lifting in the 90.
Guess my 12yr memory failed me. Indeed, 180, not 360 for mid-treble from the article I first read about it: http://www.moultonlabs.com/more/loudspeaker_that_raises_the_bar/

For pro studio work, it is fabulous, and allowed me a prosperous second career in mastering. I’m very proud to have been a part of this effort.

Obviously not everyone was as visually affected by them/the room they were in.:)

Top Bottom