• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AXPONA 2022-Anyone attending?-Exhibitor list now up

Simply Stereo

Dealer
I didn’t care for it. Listened to Tom Sawyer and lasted about 30 seconds. It seemed all blurry to me.
That track is absolutely terrible in Atmos. Given some of the Atmos content people seem to be impressed with and show off, it doesn't give us much confidence. The Atmos music recommendations Audio Advice gave, for instance, are mostly terrible. There ARE good Atmos music tracks. We have an Apple Music Atmos playlist at the store of the stuff we have found to actually sound good. I'd say 2-5% of the Atmos music sounds good. It's very often mostly gimmicky and sounds like it was the 2 channel track run through some sort of upmixer, or an overzealous mastering where instruments are voices are thrown in the surround/height channels (terrible).

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That track is absolutely terrible in Atmos. Given some of the Atmos content people seem to be impressed with and show off, it doesn't give us much confidence. The Atmos music recommendations Audio Advice gave, for instance, are mostly terrible. There ARE good Atmos music tracks. We have an Apple Music Atmos playlist at the store of the stuff we have found to actually sound good. I'd say 2-5% of the Atmos music sounds good. It's very often mostly gimmicky and sounds like it was the 2 channel track run through some sort of upmixer, or an overzealous mastering where instruments are voices are thrown in the surround/height channels (terrible).
Thanks for your post - I have some questions for you about your store, so please start a thread for yourself in the Desperate Dealers Forum and let us know when it's live. Then we can chat there.

Simply Stereo

Dealer
Thanks for your post - I have some questions for you about your store, so please start a thread for yourself in the Desperate Dealers Forum and let us know when it's live. Then we can chat there.
You're welcome to private message us. We don't fit in the "desperate dealer" category, so that shouldn't be necessary.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're welcome to private message us. We don't fit in the "desperate dealer" category, so that shouldn't be necessary.
I'm happy to PM you - but don't be put off by the "desperate" language, just a bit of fun. The benefit of a public conversation is other potential customers will see it (even over the next months/years) and it might help your business.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Here are some photos, I have more but for some reason my computer didn't copy them all. I have them from every room except the expo hall, the LRS+ cause I had no clue where they were and you needed an invite or appointment as Troy pointed out. Also the Magico M3's in scott walker audio which I forgot to go back and take photos of, camera died.

If you click the tab camera roll, I am not sure if you can access it, but more photos are there.

All taken with a small camera that has a fairly poor photo sensor, so most photos in rooms came out a tad blurry. Wasn't aware of this as these are my first indoor photo shoots

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That track is absolutely terrible

Fixed for you. :)

I'd say 2-5% of the Atmos music sounds good. It's very often mostly gimmicky and sounds like it was the 2 channel track run through some sort of upmixer, or an overzealous mastering where instruments are voices are thrown in the surround/height channels (terrible).
Sadly, I agree with this assessment. For every Abbey Road or We Are there are probably 5 butchered albums. My hope is this improves.

Here are some photos, I have more but for some reason my computer didn't copy them all.

What’s the speaker in IMG_0428, the standmount with dual opposed (?) SB Acoustics shallow woofers?

TitaniumTroy

Wow, I thought I thought had taken a lot pics. I guess I need a Flicker account, to show them off. To answer a poster about the LRS+ it sounded great, but as to it being better than the LRS. I have no idea, I would need a side by side to judge.

bibo01

Wow, I thought I thought had taken a lot pics. I guess I need a Flicker account, to show them off. To answer a poster about the LRS+ it sounded great, but as to it being better than the LRS. I have no idea, I would need a side by side to judge.
Thanks....and about the subwoofer? Any change since the presentation of the 30.7 C?

TitaniumTroy

Not that I could tell, but it was pretty hidden too. You do know there was a second dipole LRS subwoofer. It sounded good to me, but it was in a room the size of a warehouse. They let me turn up the volume to play some Star Wars and it was really good. Now we need a shoot out between the two dipole subwoofers.

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
Fixed for you. :)

Sadly, I agree with this assessment. For every Abbey Road or We Are there are probably 5 butchered albums. My hope is this improves.

What’s the speaker in IMG_0428, the standmount with dual opposed (?) SB Acoustics shallow woofers?
Damn I do not know 428. Didn't take a photo of the whole room which has the banner. I can double check as I know that's somewhere on the 3rd or 4th floor, most likely 3rd

MacCali

Major Contributor
I just didn't want to upload them here one by one, and obviously there are so many. I never usually do this, but I decided to use a website to make life easier. It took over an hour just to upload it to the website even though it's not that crazy size wise

bibo01

Not that I could tell, but it was pretty hidden too. You do know there was a second dipole LRS subwoofer. It sounded good to me, but it was in a room the size of a warehouse. They let me turn up the volume to play some Star Wars and it was really good. Now we need a shoot out between the two dipole subwoofers.
A shootout?! Honestly, I think they do not even play in the same league! ...and I even have Audiokinesis Swarm system with Maggies

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn I do not know 428. Didn't take a photo of the whole room which has the banner. I can double check as I know that's somewhere on the 3rd or 4th floor, most likely 3rd
Found out that was the Madisound room and a DIY speaker called the Firecracker. The designer’s previous speaker was a brilliant little shoebox. This one looks like a worthy successor.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Found out that was the Madisound room and a DIY speaker called the Firecracker. The designer’s previous speaker was a brilliant little shoebox. This one looks like a worthy successor.
Glad you found it.

paul8088

Again the borrensen01 speakers left me speechless. I don't know how to justify the prices they charge, but measurements be damned they sound amazing.
Hey, same experience here with these. The sound in that room was amazing. Small speakers so much depth, clarity and detail. Amazingly dynamic.

snowball

Hey, same experience here with these. The sound in that room was amazing. Small speakers so much depth, clarity and detail. Amazingly dynamic.
Those seem great but I can't support this BS.

There are three versions of the 01:

1. The standard, 2-way, stand-mounted (with iron free drivers)
  2. The ‘Cryo Edition’ (with the iron-free drivers plus all metal components go through a 3 day cryogenic cooling treatment)
  3. The flagship ‘Silver Supreme Edition’, reviewed here (with iron-free drivers and the cryo treatment in addition to the silver—silver has 6-8% better conductivity than copper; the copper pole rings are replaced with in-house manufactured, handcrafted silver rings).

maglito

Yeah, that kid is genius. I spent a while soaking info out of him, really bright guy!

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer

He’s on my Facebook group, BTW. I’ve offered to measure them for him. when I chatted with him last week (online) he said he’s trying to get the cardioid working on them but didn’t have time before AXPONA.

TitaniumTroy

My Cliff Notes AXPONA report:

The show seemed to definitely less vendors, much less advertising and static displays when I wandered the halls the night before the show. Some vendors were probably still burned by last years cancelling of the show and then a lot money not refunded or whatever. Lots less people you could see in the common area's like the restaurant, bar etc...

Volti Audio wins for having the best bang for your speakers that were nearly full range, hybrid horn speakers, highs were nice, very engaging sound and the Rival SE has a 15" woofer. The Razz is $5,900 for the moment, they also played good music. Not that low dynamics stuff many rooms were playing, who listens to that crap it's like a new version of elevator music, makes you want to take a nice nap.

Now for worst sound of the show, Klipsch's Jubilee. Very loud HF were extremely irritating, music section had dynamics but not much I was familiar with. Plus those things were huge probably the size of a big SoundLab E
ESL.

Best sound of the show would go to two speaker companies close to each other in huge rooms, both used Accuton ceramic drivers, Von Schwiekart Audio used a split ribbon and a beryllium tweeter and a adjustable rear ribbon tweeter and midrange. The Vimbergs on display also had a diamond tweeter option, jacking the price $20k or close to it. Like at previous AXPONA shows I found the ceramic drivers to have a purity in the midrange and HF, unfortunately they are extremely expensive. Both really pressurized their rooms, I would have to do a side by side Comparison pick between the two speakers.

The tower Perlisten speaker had excellent imaging, but was in a tiny room and playing uninteresting music so I moved on.

I finally got to hear an old school version of a Tannoy speaker the Stirling I believe, I've heard some newer lines at other shows and found the HF to be rather harsh. These however had a nice engaging sound imaging was excellent, but I did think the soundstage extended beyond the speakers locations.

Linkwitz's speakers did nothing for me, did not sound bad just meh.YG Acoustics and Magico were both very good, but didn't have that purity in tone compared to ceramic drivers.

PSB speakers Synchrony seemed really small with it's three 6 1/2" woofers, they were cranking the volume. But I think they were struggling to do it, I didn't give a real critical listen as it was noisy in the room. At $8k though I would definitely take the Volti Razz hands down over it, not even close.

Dynaudio, Focal, Estelon all were in huge rooms. Dynaudio sounded good but nowhere near ceramic speakers like the Estelon's, Focal's room usually sound like crap because they have home theater room within a room, with GIK room acoustics, and the room is very small and open to the rest of the bigger room. Where they have a lot of the demo's going on the same time, it's not the speakers it's the setup.

Almost forgot Legacy Audio, there speakers never do anything for imaging/soundstage wise, I don't think the asymmetrical room placement helps in that dept.

Last edited:

snowball

Volti Audio is a solid best value for the show going off what I heard. I'd like to see how they measure.
My Cliff Notes AXPONA report:

The show seemed to definitely less vendors, much less advertising and static displays when I wandered the halls the night before the show. Some vendors were probably still burned by last years cancelling of the show and then a lot money not refunded or whatever. Lots less people you could see in the common area's like the restaurant, bar etc...

Volti Audio wins for having the best bang for your speakers that were nearly full range, hybrid horn speakers, highs were nice, very engaging sound and the Rival SE has a 15" woofer. The Razz is $5,900 for the moment, they also played good music. Not that low dynamics stuff many rooms were playing, who listens to that crap it's like a new version of elevator music, makes you want to take a nice nap.

Now for worst sound of the show, Klipsch's Jubilee. Very loud HF were extremely irritating, music section had dynamics but not much I was familiar with. Plus those things were huge probably the size of a big SoundLab E
ESL.

Best sound of the show would go to two speaker companies close to each other in huge rooms, both used Accuton ceramic drivers, Von Schwiekart Audio used a split ribbon and a beryllium tweeter and a adjustable rear ribbon tweeter and midrange. The Vimbergs on display also had a diamond tweeter option, jacking the price $20k or close to it. Like at previous AXPONA shows I found the ceramic drivers to have a purity in the midrange and HF, unfortunately they are extremely expensive. Both really pressurized their rooms, I would have to do a side by side Comparison pick between the two speakers.

The tower Perlisten speaker had excellent imaging, but was in a tiny room and playing uninteresting music so I moved on.

I finally got to hear an old school version of a Tannoy speaker the Stirling I believe, I've heard some newer lines at other shows and found the HF to be rather harsh. These however had a nice engaging sound imaging was excellent, but I did think the soundstage extended beyond the speakers locations.

Linkwitz's speakers did nothing for me, did not sound bad just meh.YG Acoustics and Magico were both very good, but didn't have that purity in tone compared to ceramic drivers.

PSB speakers Synchrony seemed really small with it's three 6 1/2" woofers, they were cranking the volume. But I think they were struggling to do it, I didn't give a real critical listen as it was noisy in the room. At $8k though I would definitely take the Volti Razz hands down over it, not even close.

Dynaudio, Focal, Estelon all were in huge rooms. Dynaudio sounded good but nowhere near ceramic speakers like the Estelon's, Focal's room usually sound like crap because they have home theater room within a room, with GIK room acoustics, and the room is very small and open to the rest of the bigger room. Where they have a lot of the demo's going on the same time, it's not the speakers it's the setup.

Almost forgot Legacy Audio, there speakers never do anything for imaging/soundstage wise, I don't think the asymmetrical room placement helps in that dept.

Top Bottom