• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVR Power Consumption

billou5767

Unless it says 240 W max., it likely is not maximum, but is measured, or estimated/calculated under a specific load condition.

For D+M, audioholics.com has an article on how they specific the power consumption spec, for Yamaha, in recent years they do provide a power consumption, as well as a max power consumption spec in the owner's manual.

For Sony, I don't think we know what their power consumption spec is based on, but I doubt it is the "maximum". You can try contacting their customer support, and I would wish you luck getting a credible response.

There doesn't appear to be any test data by anyone online, however I did locate this;

zoom.jpg

JSmith
rare all motherboard with heat aluminium ..

how have more 500W power with 240W and normal psu ?

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
People get confused by this all the time.

The back panel wattage number on the AVR is a regulatory number related to heat dissipation, especially with respect to the power cord. In other words, over a fairly long period of time (think minutes, not fractions of a second) the AVR will pull no more than an average of 2 amps from a 120VAC feed. Amperage and the cord resistance determine heat generation and are factors in cord selection (do not worry about this, you will not improve on Sony's cord.) Basically, the 240W number is Sony saying "This receiver won't make more than this heat so with the parts inside and the cord, it will not catch fire." For technical reasons any power you measure at the wall is going to be relatively meaningless to what's going to the speakers (I'll get to this.)

The speaker wattage rating is based on two different things:

1) Speaker moving parts have a physical maximum distance they can travel, known as Xmax. If they move further than this they may damage the motors or audibly bang parts against each other that aren't supposed to touch. This applies to all the drivers but generally speaking is only a concern with the woofer, and is generally limiting at very low frequencies, especially for ported speakers; in fact, the actual power ratings can be a lot lower than listed at extremely low frequencies.

Displacement is a factor of voltage, and ((voltage^2) / resistance) is wattage, but keep in mind resistance is really impedance, and impedance is a complex curve mainly dependent on frequency, so don't just plug in '6 ohms' and thing the math works. Xmax violations can damage your speaker if the power is excessive for even half a cycle (of the music frequency, not AC line frequency.) If your speaker makes weird, mechanical, bangy noises, you are cranking it too hard.

2) Speaker motors also have resistance and current passing through them also generates heat. Just like the AVR, the speaker parts have to be able to dissipate that heat faster than it generates. This is generally most limiting with tweeters (because they're smaller) but that's ok because there's generally a lot less power in the high frequency signal. Like the AVR, heat damage occurs over time, often the best indicator something is damaged is your speaker will smell bad.

Now, going back to the AVR:

Speaker amplifiers output ratings are determined pretty loosely. You can see from Amir's reviews how these numbers are ideally calculated. But with multichannel amplifiers (like AVRs) it is common that the, uh, common power supply doesn't have the capability to drive all the integrated amps to rated load. Thus, it is possible that your amp can drive the two main speakers to 100 watts per channel, but in 7-channel mode it may only be able to push 30wpc to each. Even then, it's more complicated than that.

Rolling this together:

When you play music, the output signal goes up and down in power as it goes up and down in voltage, into the impedance presented by the speakers at the frequencies of the music's AC signal, with the amplifier supplying the current needed to maintain that voltage (unless you're trying to get too loud and it runs out of current and clips.) It is extremely unlikely that power over time is anything like the maximum (i.e. 100 watts) per channel, because that's not how music works, you have quiet parts, even between notes, that pull the average down. For this reason (and not talking about the bass) speaker wattage ratings tend to be almost meaningless. If it sounds bad, turn it down, and don't use your speakers for drunken block parties. If your speakers say '100 watts max' and your reciever says '100 watts max' you should be OK. On the bass end, the numbers are unfortunately also fairly meaningless as you can easily damage your speakers with a lot less than 100w if you were, say, passing subsonic test tones to them. Don't do this. This is why people who want to go loud in the deep bass use subwoofers.

Now, why does the AVR back panel say 240w when Sony says it can deliver so much more across the output channels?

This again is scored loosely but music has a duty cycle. Again, there are 'loud parts' and 'quiet parts' even in the middle of loud songs. Plus, sober AVR owners generally don't slam their volume to the right and blast all night. So a consumer AVR may be designed with the assumption that the amplifiers are only hitting max voltage out, say, 8% of the time or less. This would be a 12% duty cycle. The AVR's 60hz AC power supply will average out that power draw over time, and if you have an AC power meter, it's also integrating over time. There are inefficiencies in the amp, AVR circuitry, power supply etc, let's say 50%, so you could be sending 100w peaks to two stereo speakers, but see <1 amp draw from the wall outlet. It's also how a 240 watt AVR can claim to put out 1100 watts or more, and is technically telling the truth, it just can't do it for more than a few cycles. This is also how you can send '100 watts' to '80 watt' speakers and they don't burst into flames.

So as the other posters said, you are fine, if it sounds wrong or smells bad, turn it down.

Sierra76

I want to determine how much power my AVR can output with my speaker system. The AVR I use comes with 240W power supply, and it supports 7.2 set up with 6 Ohm or higher impedance speakers. My speaker setup will be 3.0.2: 2 L/R 8 Ohm 30W-100W RMS 89dB speakers, 1 center 6 Ohm 25W-100W RMS 89dB speaker, 2 Dolby Atmos Sony SS-CSE speakers (~100W maximum, no RMS rating). What can I calculate or expect how much speaker power the AVR can handle with that system, not including the computing power for video and system resource? 240 W power supply seems too much for even 5.2 set up, and I don't want to push it too much and then it collapse after 1 year of warranty.
I bought the Sony TA-AN1000, the European version of your AVR, two weeks ago. I measured its standby power consumption, which was approximately 3.2W with network/BT standby enabled. I had a 5.1 speaker setup connected, and when I played Dolby Atmos music from YouTube at around 25 volume, it consumed around 40W. At 40 volume, it reached around 70W.

This AVR replaced my old Onkyo TX-NR636, which had a power consumption of 5.74W in standby mode. On YouTube, playing Dolby Atmos Music at 35 volume consumed approximately 87W, while at 40 volume it consumed around 105W.

So more or less Sony power management was 50% better in compare.

Unfortunately, I had to return my AN1000 due to several bugs, which is quite disappointing for me because it had great sound, especially with 360ssm enabled...

billou5767

I bought the Sony TA-AN1000, the European version of your AVR, two weeks ago. I measured its standby power consumption, which was approximately 3.2W with network/BT standby enabled. I had a 5.1 speaker setup connected, and when I played Dolby Atmos music from YouTube at around 25 volume, it consumed around 40W. At 40 volume, it reached around 70W.

This AVR replaced my old Onkyo TX-NR636, which had a power consumption of 5.74W in standby mode. On YouTube, playing Dolby Atmos Music at 35 volume consumed approximately 87W, while at 40 volume it consumed around 105W.

Unfortunately, I had to return my AN1000 due to several bugs, which is quite disappointing for me because it had great sound, especially with 360ssm enabled...
bug ?

Sierra76

• Loud start-up sound, similar to a bang on the enclosure (not just the standard clicks) which is gone when I disable the Network/Bluetooth Standby in the options.
  • Sound dropouts (temporary and long-term) after changing the sound source on TV LG OLED CX (eARC) [e.g., from YouTube to HDMI 1 and vice versa] (I don't experience this on my old Onkyo)
  • Several times I heard a hiss sound when I finished watching a movie on Netflix (when I turned off the 360ssm for a moment, they subsided, and after turning the 360ssm back on, they were gone) and YT - I had this twice in a day when I was testing this amplifier.
  • During an attempt to stream sound from the Youtube Music mobile app - the AN1000 froze so much that I had to unplug it for a moment because it wasn't responding to anything, and the display wasn't showing any text information

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hi

Where I live AC is as rare as Hen's teeth... We have been 3 weeks without AC grid power .. People rely on Generators and on Solar + Batteries... Power consumption even idle power consumption is an issue, a serious one for us, thus ...
Best is to measure the consumption of the device. There exist several.. One of the most popular, is the Kill-a_watt. About $35.oo at Amazon
61FOAk4UA5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Presently I use a Power Monitoring Smartoutlet: from Kasa. About $25.oo at Amazon

61+Yr4-FRXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

My Denon AVR X-3400H consumes about 6 wats on standby
35 watts on 2-channel and no video
65 Watts on HT Prepro mode: No speaker connected to the amps, Preamp outputs to active speakers. I am not able to turn off the amps on this Denon, Nor am I able to cmpletely turn off the video processing circuits...I believe some of the 7 or 9 amps can be turned off on some later models (3700, 4700, 3800 and up).

Peace.
I did a similar experiment in an attempt to capture how much power these Amps/AVR’s actually consume. I was surprised at how little power they actually use under real life use. Here is a post where I explained what I was measuring and how:

TLDR: Each 6 channel nc502mp Buckeye amp draws on average, the same as a 75 watt lightbulb. Denon AVR-8500h drew about 120 watts +/-.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did a similar experiment in an attempt to capture how much power these Amps/AVR’s actually consume. I was surprised at how little power they actually use under real life use. Here is a post where I explained what I was measuring and how:

TLDR: Each 6 channel nc502mp Buckeye amp draws on average, the same as a 75 watt lightbulb. Denon AVR-8500h drew about 120 watts +/-.

No surprise there if you were measuring average power consumption (you mostly likely were). High power rating is desirable not because people need a lot of average power, but the peak power. If you consider 10X power is needed for the 10 dB peak, and 100X is needed for the 20 dB peaks, in order not to exceed the amp's clipping point.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Is Sony now using the same volume scale as the others (like Onkyo, D&M, etc)? My (fairly old) Sony avr uses a different volume scale and isn't comparable to those used on my Onkyo or Denon avrs.

ban25

Is Sony now using the same volume scale as the others (like Onkyo, D&M, etc)? My (fairly old) Sony avr uses a different volume scale and isn't comparable to those used on my Onkyo or Denon avrs.
Yeah you can't rely on the volume scale on the AVR but instead need to use an external SPL meter measured at a consistent distance in order to match levels.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah you can't rely on the volume scale on the AVR but instead need to use an external SPL meter measured at a consistent distance in order to match levels.
Or at least use the same setup routine (like Audyssey/avr setup) and same volume scales (my Onkyo is an older Audyssey model and uses same absolute/relative scales as my Denons....they may not be exactly the same but...)

ban25

Or at least use the same setup routine (like Audyssey/avr setup) and same volume scales (my Onkyo is an older Audyssey model and uses same absolute/relative scales as my Denons....they may not be exactly the same but...)
I'd have to imagine even that's not guaranteed unless the amps are the same.

AdamG

Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

AdamG

Forum Donor
Glad they joined the others....altho implementation of volume scale could still vary I suppose somewhat among manufacturers?
I can’t answer that factually. But my gut instinct says that with the use of built in calibration software at some point Master Volume ranges should be settled to a general standard. If you’re talking about how loud it can get at a particular setting. That would depend on the Amplifier section, the speakers used, the room acoustics and how far back you sit from the MLP. Like everything Audio. Variables.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can’t answer that factually. But my gut instinct says that with the use of built in calibration software at some point Master Volume ranges should be settled to a general standard. If you’re talking about how loud it can get at a particular setting. That would depend on the Amplifier section, the speakers used, the room acoustics and how far back you sit from the MLP. Like everything Audio. Variables.
Meant more the basic design/implementation in the avr, aside from those variables that the setup routine/volume scale is supposed to "equalize". :)

Top Bottom