• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVR Power Consumption

danielllle

I want to determine how much power my AVR can output with my speaker system. The AVR I use comes with 240W power supply, and it supports 7.2 set up with 6 Ohm or higher impedance speakers. My speaker setup will be 3.0.2: 2 L/R 8 Ohm 30W-100W RMS 89dB speakers, 1 center 6 Ohm 25W-100W RMS 89dB speaker, 2 Dolby Atmos Sony SS-CSE speakers (~100W maximum, no RMS rating). What can I calculate or expect how much speaker power the AVR can handle with that system, not including the computing power for video and system resource? 240 W power supply seems too much for even 5.2 set up, and I don't want to push it too much and then it collapse after 1 year of warranty.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to determine how much power my AVR can output with my speaker system. The AVR I use comes with 240W power supply, and it supports 7.2 set up with 6 Ohm or higher impedance speakers. My speaker setup will be 3.0.2: 2 L/R 8 Ohm 30W-100W RMS 89dB speakers, 1 center 6 Ohm 25W-100W RMS 89dB speaker, 2 Dolby Atmos Sony SS-CSE speakers (~100W maximum, no RMS rating). What can I calculate or expect how much speaker power the AVR can handle with that system, not including the computing power for video and system resource? 240 W power supply seems too much for even 5.2 set up, and I don't want to push it too much and then it collapse after 1 year of warranty.
What make and model of AVR is this?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The AVR model is Sony STR-AN1000; maybe I just paid Sony tax on this one
So you see the wattage consumption rating on the back panel? Is that where you are getting this 240 Watt power supply value from?

OP
D

danielllle

So you see the wattage consumption rating on the back panel? Is that where you are getting this 240 Watt power supply value from?
I could not find the power rating on the back panel, I only find the number from zkelectronics. Besides, I could not find any document regarding the power consumption.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
So you see the wattage consumption rating on the back panel?

Sony Specs:

1689293952798.png

1689293993941.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I could not find the power rating on the back panel, I only find the number from zkelectronics. Besides, I could not find any document regarding the power consumption.
I am attempting to look that up in the manual but I have the Canadian manual downloaded from Sony.ca. What country are you in?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are the power specs from the Canadian operators manual version.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 27.png

OP
D

danielllle

I had the US model, I think 240W will be the max power consumption for the its amplifier ( the max show 240W for 6 Ohm 2-channel config). Is there a way to calculate how much power each speaker consumption; or something like with 240W power budget, how each speaker will push that budget? Now with different ohm and sensitivity, I don't know how I can dial the volume not pushing the AVR power limit?

OP
D

danielllle

The AVR amplifier segment is a downside of this AVR, I am now afraid my experience for the set up would be miserable compared to a multiple-speaker soundbar system (like the 9.1.2 Samsung Q910B, which is cheaper than the AVR alone.)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What can I calculate or expect how much speaker power the AVR can handle with that system, not including the computing power for video and system resource?
If you can measure the current or the the power at the AC power connector then you can measure at a quiescent state and then full out at clipping and maybe in the middle where you like to listen to it. From those measurements you will be able to determine what is occurring. Other than really roughing the numbers with percentage estimates and hack together some sort of power figures that is the way to do this and get some hard numbers. Anything else further requires a oscilloscope.

billou5767

impossible

you are in audiosciencereview : you see difference between paper and reality

you dont know real spec of your speaker AND the most important NO ONE KNOW what is inside the new sony

i find nothing on the web , no one and teardown the sony

but the is 99% of chance it ampli class D like all new chinese product : its explain the 240W whereas denon need X2 , and the price

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the US model, I think 240W will be the max power consumption for the its amplifier ( the max show 240W for 6 Ohm 2-channel config).
Unless it says 240 W max., it likely is not maximum, but is measured, or estimated/calculated under a specific load condition.

For D+M, audioholics.com has an article on how they specific the power consumption spec, for Yamaha, in recent years they do provide a power consumption, as well as a max power consumption spec in the owner's manual.

For Sony, I don't think we know what their power consumption spec is based on, but I doubt it is the "maximum". You can try contacting their customer support, and I would wish you luck getting a credible response.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Where I live AC is as rare as hen's teeth... We have been 3 weeks without AC grid power .. People rely on Generators and on Solar + Batteries... Power consumption even idle power consumption is an issue, a serious one for us, thus ...
Best is to measure the consumption of the device with a powermeter. There exist several.. One of the most popular, is the Kill-a_watt. About $35.oo at Amazon
61FOAk4UA5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Presently I use a Power Monitoring Smartoutlet: from Kasa. About $25.oo at Amazon

61+Yr4-FRXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

My Denon AVR X-3400H consumes about 6 watts on standby
35 watts on 2-channel as Pre and no video
65 Watts on HT Prepro mode: No speaker connected to the amps, Preamp outputs to active speakers. I am not able to turn off the amps on this Denon, Nor am I able to completely turn off the video processing circuits...I believe some of the 7 or 9 amps can be turned off, on some later models (3700, 4700, 3800 and up).

Peace.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@peng are you thinking of a different article than the one I linked above (post 11) ?

OP--a bench test of multiple channels driven will give you a better idea of total power the avr may be able to put out....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@peng are you thinking of a different article than the one I linked above (post 11) ?

OP--a bench test of multiple channels driven will give you a better idea of total power the avr may be able to put out....
Anything beyond a mains AC power connection measurement is going to require surgery and that may be intrusive. Not worth it for this model.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The AVR amplifier segment is a downside of this AVR, I am now afraid my experience for the set up would be miserable compared to a multiple-speaker soundbar system (like the 9.1.2 Samsung Q910B, which is cheaper than the AVR alone.)
Huh? Why would you think that? That AVR has far more power handling capabilities than any soundbar.

To answer your original question, you will not be hurting that AVR running 3 speakers. It will be just fine and run for many years. Unless you are using it to play a dance party in a room the size of a concert hall.

As posted by others the spec on the amp is 100w/channel min 20-20khz in surround mode (7 channels driveen) at 6ohms and 165w per channel (7 channels driven) at 1khz into 6ohms. You are fine. Enjoy the movies and music!

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The one you linked is a good one, but the one I referred to is the one linked below, that's why I cited D+M's way of specifying their "power consumption", based on Gene's comments:

Even then, we have to be careful, to recognize that Gene cited D+M's as an example, so we cannot assume Sony, Yamaha, and others took the same approach.

I emailed our friends at Sound United to inquire about how they rate the back panel power consumption of their products and the answer was very revealing.

What does the back panel power consumption rating mean?​

• Unless it says "max power" don't assume it's a max power rating with all channels driven.
  • ·According to Sound United, they follow IEC 62368-1 electrical safety standard for rating power, specifically Annex B for operating conditions and Annex E for test conditions.
  • Amplifier to be tested at 1/8th unclipped de-rated power @ 1kHz & rated load impedance.
  • Sound United follows IEC 62368-1, the electrical safety standard for audio, video and similar equipment for their AV receivers.
  • Follow operating condition under Annex B: Normal operating condition tests, abnormal operating condition tests and single fault condition tests, and the amplifier output conditions defined under Annex E: Test conditions for equipment containing audio amplifiers.
  • Measured input current/power under normal operating conditions shall NOT exceed the rated current/power by > 10%. Note: ACD testing is NOT considered a "normal operating" condition.

It is unfortunate that despite Gene's, and others including a few on ASR, had made the point that people should not take the power consumption spec as "maximum", or any particular interpretation, when in reality we really don't have the information, people such as @danielllle (not his fault obviously) continued to get misled by their half useless specs offered by many manufacturers. The best we could use those figures would be to compare models within the same line by the same manufacturers and perhaps reasonably assume that the ones with higher consumption are more powerful, on all else being equal basis.
For example:

Compare a Sony class AB vs another Sony class AB AVR, the one that has power consumption 240 W will be about/approximately half as power as one that has power consumption 480 W, if both have the same amp channel counts, same class AB, and same processing channel counts. That's it, we cannot assume anything else, such as the actual power output into speakers. With D+M's, we could in fact try to estimate the AVR's, such as the X4800H's actual output into 8 ohms, because Gene was able to get Sound United/Masimo to confirm the standard and practice they use, to specify their power consumption specs.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Top Bottom