• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiphile Powerstrip!! Grab yours now for just $700

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's a common misunderstanding. You have to consider the entire length i.e. mains to power amp chip vs mains to DAC to power amp via signal cable needs to be the same length.
And at my house, which is a different distance from the power company, my system may sound completely different.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
And at my house, which is a different distance from the power company, my system may sound completely different.
That's right! You might need to move to ensure that the outlets on the strip are all an integer number of wavelengths from the generator!

Speaking of audiophile parody -- I am going to be a very bad doobie and cross-post a YT video that I just posted to the "Humor" thread. :rolleyes:
This might not be a parody strictly speaking, but it'll do in a pinch! :)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The craziest thing out there are the fancy power cords. How the heck can they do anything when the electricity is routed in over solid copper for at least 100' from the nearest transformer?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The craziest thing out there are the fancy power cords. How the heck can they do anything when the electricity is routed in over solid copper for at least 100' from the nearest transformer?

Oh no!

Haven't you seen the quote?

The power cord is the closest part of the power supply chain to your equipment...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

Yes, I've always kind of wondered about why 3 feet of power cord could make much difference between the wire to the socket and the wiring in the component.

In fairness, the 'weak link(s)' might just be the connectors at each end of the power cord -- audiophile or not (and, of course, begging the question "is there a weak link at all?") :)

Oh no!
Haven't you seen the quote?
The power cord is the closest part of the power supply chain to your equipment...

Except the itty bitty wires inside of [your equipment] -- not to mention the PC board traces. :oops:

ta240

Major Contributor
Like this?

That video is funny because they clearly know that the problem with "High End" is that it is confusing and complicated for the general public so those people avoid it and buy a single thing they can plug in and be done with it. And yet the audio places make no effort to simplify the process or remove the crap that makes normal people's heads spin.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, dolphins and dogs - we could also add bats!

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That video is funny because they clearly know that the problem with "High End" is that it is confusing and complicated for the general public so those people avoid it and buy a single thing they can plug in and be done with it. And yet the audio places make no effort to simplify the process or remove the crap that makes normal people's heads spin.

That's not much different than any other technical hobby though. If NewEgg had a retail store you could do the same thing with some random person coming in and saying their Sims run too slow.

OTOH, it's not a perfect analogy because you can at least buy preassembled TOTL gaming PC or laptop if you don't mind a ~100%+ premium.

On the gripping hand, with PCs the products at least come in the same form factor, which I think is the real problem. Most people don't even want separate speakers these days.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Youtube was recommending me Audioholics videos after that Kimber Cable thread and I found this excellent graph.

NcGXu3x.png

blackmetalboon

That's a common misunderstanding. You have to consider the entire length i.e. mains to power amp chip vs mains to DAC to power amp via signal cable needs to be the same length.

I had to extend my consumer units (electric panel or distribution board for non UK people) supply cables by 1.71cm to make sure my gear intercepts the mains waveform at the zero crossing point.

It’s the only way to be sure.

OP
PolkFan

PolkFan

Forum Donor
I remember reading a review which used the term "saucer-like midrange." Decades later, I still have no idea what that chimp was talking about.

I have a new pair of cans coming in thinking about giving them a 10 page review that would make love novels look boring

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn! I just got back from the grocery and forgot to buy chocolate!

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I remember reading a review which used the term "saucer-like midrange." Decades later, I still have no idea what that chimp was talking about.
It's more flat and open than a "cup-like midrange."

Top Bottom