• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophiles, generally don't like class D amps!

Nice YouTube demo here between two premium Class AB and Class D amps. If your setup or headphones are resolving enough, there are subtle differences that can be heard.
Really? Lol

Nice YouTube demo here between two premium Class AB and Class D amps. If your setup or headphones are resolving enough, there are subtle differences that can be heard.
Doubtful if it can be done. I can't even tell the difference between amps IRL.That in a blind test I participated in. It wasn't super duper rigorously executed. Mostly for fun, but still.:)

OT
To test speakers via Youtube video, however, see test below. Then IF, as in that test, the speakers are really cheap and quite bad ( some only have a capacitor as a crossover filter. At that level bad that is) I can hear differences. :)

One of the speakers, however, seems quite good/ok. You will probably notice which one it is. Try it yourself here. From 6:00 the description of the setup begins and from 7:00 the test itself:

Last edited:
Doubtful if it can be done. I can't even tell the difference between amps IRL.That in a blind test I participated in. It wasn't super duper rigorously executed. Mostly for fun, but still.:)

OT
To test speakers via Youtube video, however, see test below. Then IF, as in that test, the speakers are really cheap and quite bad ( some only have a capacitor as a crossover filter. At that level bad that is) I can hear differences. :)

One of the speakers, however, seems quite good/ok. You will probably notice which one it is. Try it yourself here. From 6:00 the description of the setup begins and from 7:00 the test itself:

What did you want me to arrive at after listening to that sound comparison? You’d have to be deaf if you can’t hear the difference between those speakers.

In case its not clear, this is a really poor method of audition!
Your playback being the tip of the iceberg.
Put another way, the word 'nice' used in this way seems a misuse ('terrible' seems more accurate), unless you are using a different meaning of the word 'nice' that is generally unknown to most people.

In case its not clear, this is a really poor method of audition!
Your playback being the tip of the iceberg.
Put another way, the word 'nice' used in this way seems a misuse ('terrible' seems more accurate), unless you are using a different meaning of the word 'nice' that is generally unknown to most people.
Nice video as in the channel owners recordings are pristine. Nice as in only 1 variable is changing in the sound demo. Nice as in someone can listen for themselves.

What did you want me to arrive at after listening to that sound comparison? You’d have to be deaf if you can’t hear the difference between those speakers.
It is often said here at ASR that listening tests via YouTube are useless and if you think you hear a difference, it is just imagination. I agree with that BUT if you compare gadgets with a big enough difference, you can hear an unimaginable difference. But then it would take a big difference for that to be the case.:)

If we remove imagination from the equation, what will be the result? This blind test has probably already been referenced in the thread, so you may have already seen the result. If not what do you think, do you think they could detect any difference between :
Basic (cheap) system (A):
vs
High End system (B):

___

Another blind test here, amps in different price ranges, same there do you think they could detect any difference:
(starting on page 80)
Screenshot_2024-01-03_103422.jpg

If there is a difference something else is usually wrong ?

Normally the diff between two well designed amps are magnitudes smaller than what the youtube compression algorithms does to the signal.

Also good luck finding a microphone that beats a good amplifier….

For example are the amps used inside their performance limits ? So that one is not in clipping while recorded.

Are they both actually sensible designs ?

One of the brands also sell cryo treated cables and other nonsense ? Audiophile aproved ?

lol. “was more resolving”. How many more resolves? Please tell me.

Attachments

• IMG_7840.jpeg
    IMG_7840.jpeg
    444 KB · Views: 42
What are the units of measure for "resolving"? Resolves? How many Resolves do I need for "enough"?
Ask Amir about the unit of measure he uses to corroborate his observation that gear A “was more resolving” than gear B. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Attachments

• IMG_7840.jpeg
    IMG_7840.jpeg
    444 KB · Views: 43
“Impression of detail” and “warmth”. What are the specific units of measure for both of these attributes referenced here at ASR? I personally want “more impression of detail” in my system. I also want more “warmth”. What tool can I buy to measure both of these qualities so I can evaluate each and then systematically increase each one by 2 increments? I also want good bass, or gooder bass.

Attachments

• IMG_7839.jpeg
    IMG_7839.jpeg
    479.1 KB · Views: 26
No. Test is highly flawed. Look into blind testing etc. But from your attitude I’d reckon you won’t.

Back
Top Bottom