• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Science Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
S

Simon 13th

Unless you do your subjective review repeatedly, consitently, in a DBT - it's not "factual".
It’s reasonably proven if x bod does it and another and then you go into your hifi dealer. Nobody needs to prove anything. the proof is to yourself. No? Not me proving it to you.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d maybe like to do it, but then again.....you’d get loads of posts like this doubting it, and anyway for me it would be like setting out to tell why I like fresh spag bol over mouldy spag Bol. It’s testing something I don’t need to do. if I can’t tell the difference between a musical fidelity mix-dac and dCS bartok it’s time to.....

Can you tell a difference between those two DACs?

OP
S

Simon 13th

@Simon 13th I think the most important lesson for you would be that your senses are easily fooled and everybody is fallible. It is a hard thing for people to admit they are fallible, but such is life.

I agree, but for amplifiers for example you also need to take into account the use case. Your 5 watt amplifier isn't going to drive Salon 2's to decent levels. Of course power output is also a measurements, but whether an amplifier will always operate within its operating range depends on the use case. A DAC (or cd player, network player, etc) will always perform at the same level.

I think that’s the default position when if you can’t prove it, people think if they think it’s best and so do lots of others. In other words it’s a conspiracy theory.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Isnt it too complex
Actually, in the case of DACs, no.
The only thing connecting the DAC to our world is the signal on its output connectors. That signal has magnitude, frequency and phase, there is nothing else. We can measure all three of these to a level of accuracy beyond the sensitivity of people's ears, so measuremnt tells everything about the sound accuracy.
The only things other than that a potential purchaser needs to know are how well made it is and what things like functions and styling.
Any SQ differences heard if the output signal is accurate are imagined, or the favoured unit was a bit louder.
If one DAC has audible shortcomings it is badly engineered. having a preference for it isn't impossible but it ain't high fidelity and this can only be pointed out by doing measurements.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It’s reasonably proven if x bod does it and another and then you go into your hifi dealer. Nobody needs to prove anything. the proof is to yourself. No? Not me proving it to you.

Not sure I can parse that response... But what I am trying to say: unless a person can repeatedly validate a subjective opinion in a double blind test - it is not a "fact", but just an opinion. And as opinion's go - God bless - everyone's got one.

Also - I think we're feeding a troll here folks...

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I think that’s the default position when if you can’t prove it, people think if they think it’s best and so do lots of others. In other words it’s a conspiracy theory.
I don't understand what you are trying to say?

threni

Major Contributor
Absolutely

One video I'd watch would be someone giving you a blind test. Hear you saying before how confident you are you can tell them apart. Maybe stump up a small amount of money you can donate to deaf orphans or whatever if you lose; then do the test. That way, after the test either some orphans get a bite to eat, or we can exhibit you in a circus as some sort of freak. Simon the human bat! I'd probably watch that video too.

OP
S

Simon 13th

Actually, in the case of DACs, no.
The only thing connecting the DAC to our world is the signal on its output connectors. That signal has magnitude, frequency and phase, there is nothing else. We can measure all three of these to a level of accuracy beyond the sensitivity of people's ears, so measuremnt tells everything about the sound accuracy.
The only things other than that a potential purchaser needs to know are how well made it is and what things like functions and styling.
Any SQ differences heard if the output signal is accurate are imagined, or the favoured unit was a bit louder.
If one DAC has audible shortcomings it is badly engineered. having a preference for it isn't impossible but it ain't high fidelity and this can only be pointed out by doing measurements.

what would be an example of two well known DACs at wildly different prices that might be regarded by the subjective listeners as being miles apart but in measurements the same?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
what would be an example of two well known DACs at wildly different prices that might be regarded by the subjective listeners as being miles apart but in measurements the same?
Nothing measures the same. You mean no audible differences?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Schit Modi 3 vs their multibit lineup.

They’re both transparent on measurements , but the multi-bit is more ‘live music’.

Complete bogus claims btw.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
OP
S

Simon 13th

Really got a link to one of your videos showing it or do I simply take your word for it?

nobody bases Judgements on empirical evidence though do you. Your car is the better one on build quality? Show me in the quality of plastic and chemical composition. Your fav restaurant is preferred but show me the evidence based on chemical composition. We live our lives based on common sense, logic, our own world experiences. Surely?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Mola Mola vs Gustard X16. Good luck, you’ll need it!

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Simon 13th I think the most important lesson for you would be that your senses are easily fooled and everybody is fallible. It is a hard thing for people to admit they are fallible, but such is life.

I agree, but for amplifiers for example you also need to take into account the use case. Your 5 watt amplifier isn't going to drive Salon 2's to decent levels. Of course power output is also a measurements, but whether an amplifier will always operate within its operating range depends on the use case. A DAC (or cd player, network player, etc) will always perform at the same level.

I suppose there's no accounting for user incompetence, (read, stupidity!) but assuming a sensible user, then of course, power output (and load conditions) are measurements that will determine whether an amplifier is suitable for the job required of it.

I agree it's harder for a DAC to be abused, but then again, some DACs may be unhappy driving a lowish load impedance, just as one example, so knowing the conditions of use and the designers' specification is necessary.

S.

OP
S

Simon 13th

Schit Modi 3 vs their multibit lineup.

They’re both transparent on measurements , but the multi-bit is more ‘live music’.

Complete bogus claims btw.

I think they are too close. I’ve tried the multibit One. Youd have to do a chord Hugo tt2 v chord mojo or mx dac type test, where they are obviously apart.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
nobody bases Judgements on empirical evidence though do you. Your car is the better one on build quality? Show me in the quality of plastic and chemical composition. Your fav restaurant is preferred but show me the evidence based on chemical composition. We live our lives based on common sense, logic, our own world experiences. Surely?

I don't claim my auto, restuarant choices etc.. are superior to others choices as a fact but an opinion. If I claim one is better then I need some way to prove it or it's simply blabbering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom