• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Science Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most current DACs measure so well with respect to what humans can hear that aural testing is no longer really relevant. For DACs, the measurements are more a surrogate for engineering care, because it only takes engineering care to make a sonically transparent DAC these days. One that measures poorly indicates sloppy or careless engineering. It could indicate that he designer was purposely coloring the sound to attain some other objective, but none of the DAC manufacturers will own up to that--they all claim transparency.

So, I shop among those that measured well simply because if they were careful about that, they were probably careful about other things, too. But mostly I shop to get the specific connectivity, features and look I need, and use the measurements to confirm that the engineering meets a sensible quality standard. Sometimes, I look at the brand, too, but never as a surrogate for performance, given that good performance data is available.

Those who understand measurements and replace a DAC with a 105 dB SINAD for one with 120 dB SINAD are just exploring a hobby, not expecting any audible difference or improvement.

When I read that one DAC has a bit more open bass than another (a statement I did read recently), and both measure transparently, then there are two possibilities: 1.) we aren't measuring the correct things, and 2.) there is some interaction between the DAC and my system that did not occur when the measurements were made. With DACs, I don't for a moment believe that either of these is relevant. There are other components where the second may be true.

But the first thing is a point of real contention and even religious debate. The measurement folks want to see some evidence that what a reviewer "clearly" hears is an effect that reviewer can reliably hear without prior knowledge of what's producing the sound. This seems a reasonable request, IF the reviewer is making value judgments intended to be instructive to others. The language used by reviewers is often intended to be instructive (recognizing the difference between motive and intent), such as "The Fryburger Electronics Bozostat provide more authority in the bass, and a bit more clarity in the upper treble, but it costs ten times as much, so you would expect that." That statement reveals a bias (biases are just expectations that color our impressions), but it also tells the well-heeled reader that the Bozostat is actually better than the cheaper device, when it might not be. The readers here generally don't expect the more expensive device to sound better, without demonstrating that it does either using measurements, or, in the absence of relevant measurements, by preference testing that controls for those biases.

So, if the argument that we aren't measuring the right things is true, then we should expect that those subjective impressions should be repeatable and unbiased if they are to serve as advice to the reader. If we can't do that, then we shouldn't offer advice at all based on hearing. We can say, "the Dumbostat didn't have the same authority in the bass as did the Bozostat, and we wondered why. Measurements show that as the output of the Dumbostat approaches maximum, we see a trough in the response between 80 and 150 Hz, and this explains the loss of authority. Our usual testing didn't duplicate this particular case." Or "We first thought the Bozostat was more authoritative in the bass, so we checked the levels, this time using a voltmeter, and found that the Bozostat put out 0.3 dB more output than the Dumbostat, and when we adjusted for that, the differences faded away." Even this is acceptable (because it is honest), "Even level-matched, there was something about the Bozostat that impressed me more, but I can't conduct a proper blind test and am probably swayed by its beautiful finish and what I know about Fryburger Electronics."

Of course, this sort of thing is always welcome in reviews, because it tells us stuff the measurements don't: "the Bozostat inspires confidence with its clean design, no-nonsense user interface and beautiful build quality. The Dumbostat performed very well, but the flimsy, poorly fitted case and garish display will make you want to hide it from view so that it doesn't look out of place with your showpieces. The controls worked well enough, though, and it measures and performs so hide it under the cabinet and it can be your little secret."

In other words, write what you personally know and can demonstrate to be true.

Rick "unsubstantiated opinions are not transferrable" Denney

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
nobody bases Judgements on empirical evidence though do you. Your car is the better one on build quality? Show me in the quality of plastic and chemical composition. Your fav restaurant is preferred but show me the evidence based on chemical composition. We live our lives based on common sense, logic, our own world experiences. Surely?

our dominant sense is not hearing. Unlike sight, we can't memorize audio. just melodies.

15 seconds after you listen to something it's gone, so how can we rely on our experiences to compare different equipment?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
what would be an example of two well known DACs at wildly different prices that might be regarded by the subjective listeners as being miles apart but in measurements the same?
dCS versus the DAC in my Metric Halo recorder for example?
When I compared my dCS to my MH all the differences in SQ I was sure I heard disappeared when compared with the levels exactly matched and my daughter did the switching so I did not know which was being played.
I also compared the wonderful Linn Klimax which, again showed no benefit whatever when level matched and I didn't know which I was listening to.
I have tried several, and in each case, when the levels were accurately matched and I didn't know which was playing all the lovely benefits I was sure I had been hearing were not there.
That is when I came to the conclusion that it was the measurements were telling the truth not my imagination.

I have spent many many thousands on DACs before proving this to myself :(

OP
S

Simon 13th

@Simon 13th I think the most important lesson for you would be that your senses are easily fooled and everybody is fallible. It is a hard thing for people to admit they are fallible, but such is life.

I agree, but for amplifiers for example you also need to take into account the use case. Your 5 watt amplifier isn't going to drive Salon 2's to decent levels. Of course power output is also a measurements, but whether an amplifier will always operate within its operating range depends on the use case. A DAC (or cd player, network player, etc) will always perform at the same level.

I don’t disagree, to an extent, but not by much. It isnt rocket science to tell apart a dCS Bartok from a chord Qutest or chord Dave from an rme adi 2. It’s blindingly obvious

bogart

Forum Donor
nobody bases Judgements on empirical evidence though do you. Your car is the better one on build quality? Show me in the quality of plastic and chemical composition. Your fav restaurant is preferred but show me the evidence based on chemical composition. We live our lives based on common sense, logic, our own world experiences. Surely?

Put it into context: much of the audio reproduction chain is reducible to signal in vs. signal out analysis. The most complex part is at the point of transducers, and the Klippel NFS measurements are describing performance there in both reasonably complete and detailed ways.

The earlier parts of the signal chain have performance characteristics that are both completely and exhaustively quantified through testing.

Your analogy for restaurant preference is flawed in that you don't analyze the chemical composition. You might care about the quality of the ingredients used (signal in) and how well the finished dishes turn out (signal out). The comfort, ambience, and amenities are influential! A mediocre burger on the ocean tastes pretty good because of the view. It might be your favorite restaurant, but you're eating the view.

Folks here might be said to first select the quality of the food, and then choose based on everything else following that.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I think that’s the default position when if you can’t prove it, people think if they think it’s best and so do lots of others. In other words it’s a conspiracy theory.

No, just fascinating to see people come up with every reason not to do one.
If you believe so much in your abilities to discern these differences, simply demonstrate it. You'll get lots of converts if you could.

Many around here would spend stupid amounts of money on something that can actually be demonstrated to improve sound quality. Why not give us what we're missing?

Otherwise, we're going over very tired ground.
If you want to learn about the site, poke around and read. You can find 100 versions of this thread...

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t disagree, to an extent, but not by much. It isnt rocket science to tell apart a dCS Bartok from a chord Qutest or chord Dave from an rme adi 2. It’s blindingly obvious

it's not, one of them is louder than the other. when the difference is below 1.5 dB it doesn't sound 'louder' it sounds different.

seriously just level match and you would be surprised.

OP
S

Simon 13th

our dominant sense is not hearing. Unlike sight, we can't memorize audio. just melodies.

15 seconds after you listen to something it's gone, so how can we rely on our experiences to compare different equipment?
That’s surely a ridiculous argument if I put you in one concert and moved you out of it to a small room with a hifi, then moved you back to either at random

Maki

I’m considering doing a video on ASR and what people take from it. Can someone help me , have I got it right you use measurements to inform your subjective opinions, on listening, not use the measurements to say what’s good or not.

I get lots of comments to my YouTube channel 13th note hifi reviews saying that a particular dac I have reviewed is really poor based on ASR but I think it’s subjectively and comparatively very good. I don’t prop up bad products to anyone who knows me (eg Auralic Aries g1) but appreciate most hifi gear is competitive at price, by the same token. I also understand there are subjective (listening based) consensus groups around what people like in hifi, which is the right way to do it on experiences.

This fills me with dread because putting off people buying or trialing based on what might be using measurements solely, isn’t right.

Im not making this post to put down your site because I know a measurement approach can get lots of benefit for people eg amp power, slew rate, damping factor and so on. And this is why ASR is popular. But it should inform your listening not the other way around. Is this very much for the view of people who participate here, Am I right Or misunderstanding something. As I say I’m not trying to put down but understand.
I don't mind trying things that measure poorly or indeed buying (but mostly building) things that measure poorly as long as they look cool. However, when trying gear, it's extremely important to be aware of the biases that are involved in sighted listening tests if your goal is accurate audio. Sadly, most people are simply unaware of these biases and attribute perceived differences to the gear instead of their own brains which is why I wouldn't recommend people use sighted listening to make purchase decisions, unless I knew that person is explicitly not seeking accuracy, as is sometimes the case in audio.

OP
S

Simon 13th

I don't mind trying things that measure poorly or indeed buying (but mostly building) things that measure poorly as long as they look cool. However, when trying gear, it's extremely important to be aware of the biases that are involved in sighted listening tests if your goal is accurate audio. Sadly, most people are simply unaware of these biases and attribute perceived differences to the gear instead of their own brains which is why I wouldn't recommend people use sighted listening to make purchase decisions, unless I knew that person is explicitly not seeking accuracy, as is sometimes the case in audio.

Like the McGurk effect?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Good, that should be your next video. Filming a true ABX test for those DACs.

threni

Major Contributor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but do you assume the dac ain’t good to not try it based on measurements?

You can do whatever you want with the measurements. You can be a prospective buyer, someone who already bought, and manfs. have used the measurements here to revise and improve their products.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good, that should be your next video. Filming a true ABX test for those DACs.
I would assume the test has already been filmed or how else can the statement be backed up? Link to the video or are you only giving opinions?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s surely a ridiculous argument if I put you in one concert and moved you out of it to a small room with a hifi, then moved you back to either at random

you recognize the melody, the lyrics. but every other detail disappears immediately.

unless something is terribly wrong that the melody itself is disfigured (low shelf, high shelf .etc).

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
how do you determine all the variables that makes a component measure poorly or not to equate that to sound quality of say one dac against another. Isnt it too complex
No.

There are two arguments implicit here. One is that something important is not being measured. For DACs, it is really difficult to prove that, but proving it does require at least some repeatable preference testing to demonstrate that there's something to prove.

The other argument is that the measurements being made are not relevant, such that a poor measurement does not necessarily result in a poor sound. This argument has a lot more credibility in some cases, and this forum has a sticky to discuss what is relevant vis a vis human hearing.

In neither case is it "too complex". But even if it is, the subjective outcomes should be repeatable when controlled for bias.

Rick "with all due respect, it's a reviewer's responsibility to understand the technology being reviewed, not just their own subjective impressions" Denney

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After DACs you can try ABX tests of amplifiers for your videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom