• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Note speakers

DanielT

Major Contributor
The design kind of reminds me of the Devore speaekrs View attachment 365260
Wide baffle can have its advantages. Regarding Heco Direkt. #81 from this thread:

thewas:

My exact thoughts, beautiful design, acoustic advantages of the wide baffle, good drivers (Heco/Magnat uses Klippel tools and software to optimize them) and measurements and seemingly a nice tuning for a really good price.

Some measurements:

This is what Heco Direkt looks like, some different models in the series::)

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The only model for which I quickly found some measurements shows the typical overpriced "high end" mess:

Maybe not as much of a mess as it appears at first glance: The on-axis response tends to "zig" where the off-axis response "zags", which imo is the correct design choice where the off-axis response does not track the on-axis response. The perceived tonal balance will be a weighted average of the two. From John Atkinson's "Measurements" section:

"What's interesting about this graph is that it suggests, at least in a room of small to medium size, that the discontinuities in the speaker's on-axis response will, to some extent, be compensated for by its off-axis behavior."

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wide baffle can have its advantages. Regarding Heco Direkt. #81 from this thread:

thewas:

My exact thoughts, beautiful design, acoustic advantages of the wide baffle, good drivers (Heco/Magnat uses Klippel tools and software to optimize them) and measurements and seemingly a nice tuning for a really good price.

Some measurements:

This is what Heco Direkt looks like, some different models in the series::)

Well it has a wave guide and the design is a sure cure for boredom with narrow towers. High efficiency and good reach to lower frequencies are claimed.

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here is Peter Qvortrup's, Audio Note owner, stance on measurements. Posted yesterday on another forum.

... there are a couple of reasons why we are sparse on technical information, in our world the ear is the final arbitor,

1.) As far as measurements are concerned, like I said earlier, the woofer and tweeter were designed specifically for the AN-E, and they therefore had to replicate the exact behaviour of the high efficiency Ferrite and AlNiCo versions of the drivers used in the best versions of the AN-E whose technical specifications are already well publicised (and criricised by some) so I am not quite sure what it is you want us to publicise that is not already available.

2.) As far as releasing exact research papers, all I can say is that it wouldmost certainly be to our competitive disadvantage as it would give far too much away, so when you have spent upwards towards $ 500,000.00 over 6 years on the development and refinement of these field coil drivers, being too detailed about how we got there and why, would mean giving away a lot of proprietary information about materials, processes etc. by going into too much detail and I think it is understandable as to the reasons we do not.

We already hold 4 US patents and what I have learned about this is over the years is that for a company the size of Audio Note it is not worth taking out patents to protect our inventions as we are simply too small to defend them properly and the cost of patents and their defence are exhorbitant.

3.) As far as audio measurement and specifications are concerned, they are OK, sort of, for ascertaining whether a product conforms to some fairly simplistic static and linear parameters, bandwidth, noise, hum, static distortion etc. but as far as being a reliable indicator or even getting anywhere close to determining the quality of sound they are pretty useless, if not broadly misleading as improving many of the measured behaviour involved time reversal (feedback or perhaps 20/20 hindsight?) or other technical trickery all of which have negative sonic consequences.

As a marketing tool specifications are valuable I agree, but fairy tales only take you so far.

I think it is worth pointing out that music is dynamic (complex) and our measurements are static and linear (simplistic) and as Roger Penrose told me last year, "it is impossible to describe a dynamic sequence with a linear formula", so pretending that what we measure is somehow scientific "proof" of sonic performance is deeply misleading, audio is part science and engineering but mostly art, perhaps the thoughts below might explain how I view this, written a while ago,

The first step is to measure whatever can be easily measured.

This is OK as far as it goes.

Second step is to disregard that which can’t be measured or give it an arbitrary quantitative value.

This is artificial or misleading.

The third step is to presume that what can’t be measured easily really isn’t very important.

This is deliberate blindness.

The fourth step is to say that what can’t be easily measured really does not exist.

This is suicide if the objective is understanding the nature of music.

The fifth step is making sweeping assumptions that relate quality of sound to measured "performance" based on the first step by telling a story that ignores step 2 to 4.

That is profoundly dishonest and deceitful, self deceit being a main component.

My favourite quote to describe the most common problem with audio engineers (and might I add many aspects of society as a whole
:)
) is from Upton Sinclair,

"It is very hard to get a man to understand something when his income depends on not understanding it!"

Please pardon the longwinded reply.

sincerely,
Peter
Peter Qvortrup, Yesterday at 8:02 AM

I am confused as to how he thinks the Upton Sinclair quote helps his stance?

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is Peter Qvortrup's, Audio Note owner, stance on measurements. Posted yesterday on another forum.

Peter Qvortrup, Yesterday at 8:02 AM

I am confused as to how he thinks the Upton Sinclair quote helps his stance?

BTW, Amir responded in the thread from which this was taken at the other forum, which was just shut down by their moderators. :facepalm:
This is resembling some of the fireworks which erupted over Tekton.

Anton D

Which I much preferred to the Audio Note speakers (I auditioned the Devore around the same time as auditioning Audio Note and many other speakers). Doesn't say anything more than personal taste, though.
I think, but could be wrong, that these harken back to the Snell E?

Then came others, including Polk!

Audio Note's version (Hence the "E" part of the model name) predates the DeVore by many years.

Apologies if I misremembered.

Talisman

Forum Donor
there are a couple of reasons why we are sparse on technical information, in our world the ear is the final arbitor,

1.) As far as measurements are concerned, like I said earlier, the woofer and tweeter were designed specifically for the AN-E, and they therefore had to replicate the exact behaviour of the high efficiency Ferrite and AlNiCo versions of the drivers used in the best versions of the AN-E whose technical specifications are already well publicised (and criricised by some) so I am not quite sure what it is you want us to publicise that is not already available.

2.) As far as releasing exact research papers, all I can say is that it wouldmost certainly be to our competitive disadvantage as it would give far too much away, so when you have spent upwards towards $ 500,000.00 over 6 years on the development and refinement of these field coil drivers, being too detailed about how we got there and why, would mean giving away a lot of proprietary information about materials, processes etc. by going into too much detail and I think it is understandable as to the reasons we do not.

We already hold 4 US patents and what I have learned about this is over the years is that for a company the size of Audio Note it is not worth taking out patents to protect our inventions as we are simply too small to defend them properly and the cost of patents and their defence are exhorbitant.

3.) As far as audio measurement and specifications are concerned, they are OK, sort of, for ascertaining whether a product conforms to some fairly simplistic static and linear parameters, bandwidth, noise, hum, static distortion etc. but as far as being a reliable indicator or even getting anywhere close to determining the quality of sound they are pretty useless, if not broadly misleading as improving many of the measured behaviour involved time reversal (feedback or perhaps 20/20 hindsight?) or other technical trickery all of which have negative sonic consequences.

As a marketing tool specifications are valuable I agree, but fairy tales only take you so far.

I think it is worth pointing out that music is dynamic (complex) and our measurements are static and linear (simplistic) and as Roger Penrose told me last year, "it is impossible to describe a dynamic sequence with a linear formula", so pretending that what we measure is somehow scientific "proof" of sonic performance is deeply misleading, audio is part science and engineering but mostly art, perhaps the thoughts below might explain how I view this, written a while ago,

The first step is to measure whatever can be easily measured.

This is OK as far as it goes.

Second step is to disregard that which can’t be measured or give it an arbitrary quantitative value.

This is artificial or misleading.

The third step is to presume that what can’t be measured easily really isn’t very important.

This is deliberate blindness.

The fourth step is to say that what can’t be easily measured really does not exist.

This is suicide if the objective is understanding the nature of music.

The fifth step is making sweeping assumptions that relate quality of sound to measured "performance" based on the first step by telling a story that ignores step 2 to 4.

That is profoundly dishonest and deceitful, self deceit being a main component.

My favourite quote to describe the most common problem with audio engineers (and might I add many aspects of society as a whole
:)

) is from Upton Sinclair,

"It is very hard to get a man to understand something when his income depends on not understanding it!"

Please pardon the longwinded reply.

sincerely,
Peter

One realizes how ridiculous these discussions are only when they apply to different fields.

A) MEDICINE
Our results are not based on double-blind analyzes or sample studies, we experiment with the drugs personally and feel what they more or less convey to us, am I feeling that my blood pressure is under control? Can I feel the temperature dropping? I could measure blood pressure and temperature but in my opinion this would only be part of the story, for us the drug goes beyond the simple measured result.

B) COMPUTER SCIENCE
After a trivial measurement of hardware performance using various benchmarks, we decided to go further because measurements alone cannot fully explain our feeling of use, we noticed that those of us who used cryogenic SATA cables had a certain I don't know what about magical in resolving 3D operations, the results of the 3D models processed using cryogenic SATA cables were more natural, with exciting colors, those who couldn't see it were because they didn't have a resolution enough screen. Likewise, data transfer from the internet via a silver USB cable allowed us to download our bank data with more money than those who used standard USB cables. Great advantage.

3) PHYSICS
Our particle accelerator at CERN can bring neutrinos to a fraction of the speed of light to study their behavior and read their real speed, but this way of calculation did not satisfy us, it seemed to us it did not tell the whole story, so some of our scientists more sensitive ones set themselves on a collision course 600km away to feel the vibrations of the passage of neutrinos and estimate their speed depending on the sensation of crossing, even the wife of a scientist, from the kitchen, noticed a speed of about 250/ 257 than that of light

Anton D

One realizes how ridiculous these discussions are only when they apply to different fields.

A) MEDICINE
Our results are not based on double-blind analyzes or sample studies, we experiment with the drugs personally and feel what they more or less convey to us, am I feeling that my blood pressure is under control? Can I feel the temperature dropping? I could measure blood pressure and temperature but in my opinion this would only be part of the story, for us the drug goes beyond the simple measured result.

B) COMPUTER SCIENCE
After a trivial measurement of hardware performance using various benchmarks, we decided to go further because measurements alone cannot fully explain our feeling of use, we noticed that those of us who used cryogenic SATA cables had a certain I don't know what about magical in resolving 3D operations, the results of the 3D models processed using cryogenic SATA cables were more natural, with exciting colors, those who couldn't see it were because they didn't have a resolution enough screen. Likewise, data transfer from the internet via a silver USB cable allowed us to download our bank data with more money than those who used standard USB cables. Great advantage.

3) PHYSICS
Our particle accelerator at CERN can bring neutrinos to a fraction of the speed of light to study their behavior and read their real speed, but this way of calculation did not satisfy us, it seemed to us it did not tell the whole story, so some of our scientists more sensitive ones set themselves on a collision course 600km away to feel the vibrations of the passage of neutrinos and estimate their speed depending on the sensation of crossing, even the wife of a scientist, from the kitchen, noticed a speed of about 250/ 257 than that of light
And all three make great evening and weekend hobbies to enjoy with a glass of wine. No matter what we measure, there is a subjective experience that happens at the end. These speakers are pleasing to some, not others. Not really very ridiculous.

For Medicine: we call what you describe "psychiatry." :cool:

Talisman

Forum Donor
And all three make great evening and weekend hobbies to enjoy with a glass of wine. No matter what we measure, there is a subjective experience that happens at the end. These speakers are pleasing to some, not others. Not really very ridiculous.

For Medicine: we call what you describe "psychiatry." :cool:
There is nothing wrong with liking speakers that are colored or not perfectly measuring. I love klipsch despite its flaws.
But from the designer's point of view, to say that they adjust by ear because the measurements don't tell enough is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion

DanielT

Major Contributor
Now I am not against the DBT as it may sound - just that the test is fallible - but it still useful for all those Subjectivists who say things like - "I can always tell a silver cable from a copper cable - immediately all the time - the differences are NIGHT AND DAY. I am sure we have seen many such posters and dealers trying to suggest this on forums. The basic DBT as generally done - is good enough to stop that nonsense. Subtle differences - people who claim they feel A is better than B but not all the time - well that is a different claim.

And the DBT doesn't fix or end a bias - I'll give you a personal example. I auditioned two CD players - I felt A was better than B - close but subjectively I felt I heard A was better - both were SS CD players. I connected them up to a line level headphone amp device - you could match volumes within 0.5dB and just flip between the CD players - someone else did the flipping and I sat facing the other way. I chose A 8 out 14 times - thus I failed the DBT.

Here's the problem - even though I know I failed - and even though I know that that means I should not be able to distinguish the two players - once I started playing them sighted - my brain kept on insisting that nope A still sounded slightly better than B. So what can I do? My intellect tells me they're the same but well - when I listen sighted even after the test A was better. Test stress issue as I mentioned earlier? At that time I didn't know about any of that.

I didn't buy either one - but for the record, A was the cheaper of the two players so I have since never assumed that more expensive will sound better.

Although my experience does say that "within a company line" more expensive sounds better. Ie; a B&W Nautilus sounds better than B&W 800 which sounds better than B&W 700 which sounds better than B&W 600 which sounds better than B&W 300. I rarely ever walk away from a brand and say their $300 speaker blows away their $30,000 speaker. So in this sense price tends to matter.
Regarding your test of CD players. But isn't that just great? Then you can take the price out of the equation and consider which of them you like best when you weigh up factors such as functions, ease of use, appearance and whatever it might be.

Speaking of expensive cables. That you hear no difference between different cables is a common argument from objectivists. In many respects I agree BUT there is a limit even there, so you cannot say that it is ALWAYS like that regardless of cable. For example, I wouldn't use a super thin lamp cord as a long speaker cable.

The cheapest of the cheapest of RCA cables can pick up noise. This has happened to me myself (it has probably happened to several others as well).
A number of HiFi devices and bad cables resulted in:

Screenshot_2024-04-23_081242.jpg1710665651005 (1).png

Edit:
RCA cables should be short and well shielded. I think most people know that, but sometimes you can forget that aspect regarding RCA cables. Or rather I can forget about it.:)

Last edited:
Maybe not as much of a mess as it appears at first glance: The on-axis response tends to "zig" where the off-axis response "zags", which imo is the correct design choice where the off-axis response does not track the on-axis response. The perceived tonal balance will be a weighted average of the two. From John Atkinson's "Measurements" section:

"What's interesting about this graph is that it suggests, at least in a room of small to medium size, that the discontinuities in the speaker's on-axis response will, to some extent, be compensated for by its off-axis behavior."
This engineer goes in-depth on the AN E speaker measurements and his conclusions as to real-world in-room results.

Last edited:
Regarding your test of CD players. But isn't that just great? Then you can take the price out of the equation and consider which of them you like best when you weigh up factors such as functions, ease of use, appearance and whatever it might be.

Speaking of expensive cables. That you hear no difference between different cables is a common argument from objectivists. In many respects I agree BUT there is a limit even there, so you cannot say that it is ALWAYS like that regardless of cable. For example, I wouldn't use a super thin lamp cord as a long speaker cable.

The cheapest of the cheapest of RCA cables can pick up noise. This has happened to me myself (it has probably happened to several others as well).
A number of HiFi devices and bad cables resulted in:

View attachment 365410View attachment 365411

Edit:
RCA cables should be short and well shielded. I think most people know that, but sometimes you can forget that aspect regarding RCA cables. Or rather I can forget about it.:)
When it comes to the DBT - it is important to understand that they do not prove that A sounds the same as B - all a DBT can do is say that subject (listener) 1 could not distinguish A from B better than chance - and ONLY in THAT one test with the components in that test and to that one listener.

So the fact that I could not distinguish between the two CD players - only speaks to me - and to those two CD players (and with the headphones I was using, amp I was using, and the music I was playing).

The problem is taking an experience and then extrapolating that to say things like "all CD players sound the same" or "all cables sound the same" or all amps sound the same" - Doug Schroeder on our staff used an ABX Comparator blind and could detect cables in the test better than chance. Hi-Fi Choice magazine runs blind level matched sessions and people could detect which cable was being used and were able to rank the cables in what sounded best to worst (with multiples of listeners). Back in the day - a dealer tried to sell me expensive cables from MIT - MIT had some sort of box attached to the cables - like a resistor box perhaps - anyway - I could hear the difference - it made the sound muffled to me - perhaps trying to make SS sound like a tube.

Regardless - to me they sounded lousy and cost like 15 times the cheapo cables they ran. So no thanks - but yes they sounded "different" - worse is different. But I mean I can't exactly be in that all cables sound the same camp because IME they aren't. I generally stay clear of the cable debates because the people who can afford the pricey ones are rich people who don't need to be saved. $5,000 to them is like $5 - I am not spending copious amounts of effort to save the Elon Musk's of the world from a $5 mistake by pointing out people not passing various cable DBTs.

Most audio dealers I know of have healthy return periods - like a month - bring them home try them out - set up your own DBT and if you can't hear any difference return them - I just never got what the fuss was all about with arguing over this stuff. It's like arguing over CD players VS turntables or Digital - I mean unless you're really really poor - it's 2024 where most people can afford all three if they want to. It doesn't have to be either/or - you can have it all.

You want the great measuring SS and flat measuring speakers and you also want the warm tube amp with the musically satisfying speakers - you can buy both. I mean some people own 6 watches or 3 cars - why not several speakers/amps sources?

Talisman

Forum Donor
When it comes to the DBT - it is important to understand that they do not prove that A sounds the same as B - all a DBT can do is say that subject (listener) 1 could not distinguish A from B better than chance - and ONLY in THAT one test with the components in that test and to that one listener.

So the fact that I could not distinguish between the two CD players - only speaks to me - and to those two CD players (and with the headphones I was using, amp I was using, and the music I was playing).

The problem is taking an experience and then extrapolating that to say things like "all CD players sound the same" or "all cables sound the same" or all amps sound the same" - Doug Schroeder on our staff used an ABX Comparator blind and could detect cables in the test better than chance. Hi-Fi Choice magazine runs blind level matched sessions and people could detect which cable was being used and were able to rank the cables in what sounded best to worst (with multiples of listeners). Back in the day - a dealer tried to sell me expensive cables from MIT - MIT had some sort of box attached to the cables - like a resistor box perhaps - anyway - I could hear the difference - it made the sound muffled to me - perhaps trying to make SS sound like a tube.

Regardless - to me they sounded lousy and cost like 15 times the cheapo cables they ran. So no thanks - but yes they sounded "different" - worse is different. But I mean I can't exactly be in that all cables sound the same camp because IME they aren't. I generally stay clear of the cable debates because the people who can afford the pricey ones are rich people who don't need to be saved. $5,000 to them is like $5 - I am not spending copious amounts of effort to save the Elon Musk's of the world from a $5 mistake by pointing out people not passing various cable DBTs.

Most audio dealers I know of have healthy return periods - like a month - bring them home try them out - set up your own DBT and if you can't hear any difference return them - I just never got what the fuss was all about with arguing over this stuff. It's like arguing over CD players VS turntables or Digital - I mean unless you're really really poor - it's 2024 where most people can afford all three if they want to. It doesn't have to be either/or - you can have it all.

You want the great measuring SS and flat measuring speakers and you also want the warm tube amp with the musically satisfying speakers - you can buy both. I mean some people own 6 watches or 3 cars - why not several speakers/amps sources?
If you could hear a difference do you think there would be different measurements between the two cables or do you think you are hearing things that can't be measured?
I always hear about these tests anecdotally but I never see them performed and documented properly

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It is perfectly possible for components and even cables to sound different, but those differences will be explicit in their measurements.
Keith

prerich

About the same same design principle. Two-way speakers, both with eight inch bass drivers, roughly the same type of baffle BUT in Snell's case it is done right in the bass area, no bass boost but a nice FR:
View attachment 359591
View attachment 359593

For the Audio Note AN-E Lexus Signature, it looks like this in the bass area:
View attachment 359594
View attachment 359596

The port on the AN-E is different from the port on the Snell II. The Snell III is a different animal than the Snell II and the Audio Note AN-E. Peter from Audio Note bought all of the Snell II cabinets when Peter Snell died. I owned the Snell E-II - the E-III is a slimmer design.

Contrary to certain misinformation being propagated in this thread, no reputable classical music recordists--including the technically illiterate ones, of whom there are several--use Audio Note speakers. Perhaps someone affiliated with an audiophile classical music microlabel uses them. (Classical musicians and composers have all kinds of garbage systems, including Bose Wave Radios, and that's fine. Most musicians and composers do not purport to be experts in sound reproduction.)

I've had some experiences listening to five-figure Audio Note speakers, which presumably had the fancy silver wiring, etc. (I don't remember or care if they did.) After each of those experiences, I thought to myself, "Intellectually, I know those weren't the worst speakers I've ever heard, but it certainly seems as though they were." I have heard worse--Voxativ, for example.

Audio Note speakers are characterized by lumpy lows with nothing in the bottom octave, messy directivity, and resonant cabinets. This recipe is perhaps a fun throwback to the '70s but a farce in light of contemporary engineering.

Speakers are a tertiary business for Audio Note - most recording studios have purchasing agents so it is often not the case that the RE chooses the speaker the Recording studio uses - Bob Hodus is an acoustician and engineer who worked at Abbey Road Records - he thinks B&W is total garbage - he didn't buy or select the speakers for the studio - they were what was there.

Indeed, Recording studios are also often "given for free" their speakers so that the company gets to advertise "B&W is the choice of Lucas Film" - that means far more to them than the $15k they get from the sale of the speakers.

For any studio to be looking at "home audio" equipment to use in recording or mastering - they're the type of people who care a lot about sound and go and seek it out. Musicians too. Sure some musicians buy Bose but that's because they are human like most people and buy whatever happens to be sold at stores near them - maybe they buy the speakers they see in the recording studios. In other words, the biggest name speakers. That is hardly an Audio Note which is far away from being a household name.

I dunno but when a Mastering engineer/audiophile who has attended audio shows for decades and who has recorded and mastered The Eagles, The Doors, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, The Beach Boys, Nat ‘King’ Cole, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Ray Charles, Roy Orbison, Cream, The Cars, Blondie, Jim Croce, Linda Ronstadt, Jethro Tull, The Doobie Brothers, Jackson Browne, Steve Miller Band, Elton John, Van Halen, Bonnie Raitt, Al Green, Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon, Stan Getz, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Art Pepper, Rod Stewart, Judy Garland, Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, Wes Montgomery among others and has recorded and mastered highly praised SACD and Vinyl for labels like Audio Fidelity/Analog Productions says they're the best speakers he has heard in 40 years (including ATC/PMC/Genelec and other recording studio darlings - and uses one pair at home and one pair in the studio. To me that ranks a bit higher than an RE working at Abbey Road who uses B&W where the RE doesn't even like the speakers.

Okay so that's one guy but then you have the likes of Damian Quintard who is a young up-and-coming talent who did the sound at the Olympics and has recorded award-winning classical albums from award-winning conductors like Teodor Corentzis and has worked with the likes of Lady Gaga - already. He uses AN speakers. Brad Pitt has hired him to reopen the famed Miraval Studio. Gearbox Records in the UK has also changed out their mastering system with AN gear. These are quick examples - adding to that all of the various review publications where the reviewers, unlike most people, hear most everything have owned/still owned or raved about AN speakers and systems - Well that's a pretty impressive track record - when their tertiary business managed to out do speaker makers who are solely dedicated to speakers. I mean reviewers at Stereophile/TAS/HiFi Critic/Hi-Fi Choice/Audiophile/dagogo/6Moons/TNT/HiF-Review/enjoythemusic.com/Part-Time Audiophile - off the top of my head have reviewers who own AN speakers. Again tertiary business - reviewers who have heard all the major best-measuring speakers buying $10k+ AN speakers - which don't even look impressive or measure impressive.

Maybe the Hemp woofers are making all these people high or something but you don't fool that many highly experienced people for 30+ years.

DanielT

Major Contributor

You can certainly hear differences, if they are big enough. As I mentioned super thin long lamp cord as speaker cable, or cheapest non-shielded long RCA cables that pick up noise (it was measured by PMA in the thread I referencedm to). Absolutely, then you can hear it. BUT now I have taken up the extreme cases. Beyond that, I am curiously skeptical.:)

Regarding blind tests, there is one aspect that cannot be ignored. How motivated, engaged and concentrated you are on the task you undertake. If those aspects are missing, no difference will be heard. Plus IF you have the preconceived notion that you will NOT hear any difference. Then you probably won't hear any differences either. Much like a subjectivist who imagines hearing something but in that case the opposite.A lot of psychology in it all.:)

Of course you can have different hifi stuff to switch between. It can be fun. On that point I agree with you. Maybe two-channel stereo for most music, but the home cinema system with all those speakers if you want to listen to an orchestra with lots of instruments, classical music or big band jazz?

Out with the fat ugly PA speakers + appropriate PA amp when you're throwing a real wild rock party (that time is over for me but for the young people)...and so on.:)

The port on the AN-E is different from the port on the Snell II. The Snell III is a different animal than the Snell II and the Audio Note AN-E. Peter from Audio Note bought all of the Snell II cabinets when Peter Snell died. I owned the Snell E-II - the E-III is a slimmer design.
When Peter Snell Died - Peter Qvortrup was their European Importer and dealer. Peter Qvortrup started the company Audio Innovations and bought the rights to the original Snell cabinets - as Kevin Voecks took over as lead designer for Snell. At Audio Innovations they sold the Type E speakers. Then when Peter left Audio Innovations he began the lower-level Audio Note lines (level 1-3) and brought the speakers with him. Snell was never really the same after Peter Snell died and they went to some narrow baffle designs with side-firing woofers like the Snell B-Minor which I personally didn't care for though I have found trying to position those sorts of speakers fairly difficult - I did have better results from Audio Physic speakers which seem to me to be somewhat of a copy of those old 1990s ish B-Minors. Still - the Audio Physics can be somewhat unrelenting in the upper frequencies and the bass never seems to quite integrate as well as I would like - also what I experienced with the B-Minors. Then it seems they went to the big box chains for a short time and I believe they were bought by Denon or someone. So probably today Snell in name only - Boston Acoustics too I think.

Top Bottom