• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audeze LCD-XC Review (Closed-back Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 77 41.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 94 50.0%

• Total voters

sharock

THIS is exactly why I haven't moved to any of the Audeze models as they are just too heavy and have been stuck on my Beyerdynamic DT 1770Pro (413 g) as its weight and clamping force perfectly matches my head shape for hours of use (I typically get into a zone and will spend at least 4 hours straight editing) but I am tempted to switch over to DCA Aeon2 Noire also well rate by @amirm and its only 328 g.
I was worried about the weight too.

Turns out, for me, it wasn't really an issue. I can wear the XC for several hours without discomfort.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Audeze LCD-XC (late 2021 edition).

Audeze LCD-XC Measurements

View attachment 188137

Audeze LCD-XC Listening Tests and Equalization
Out of box response was fine. Not annoying but a bit ordinary. I first turned on the LCD-XC correction in my Roon player and it did improve the sound fair bit. I then developed my own:
View attachment 188143

-----------

I have a question for Amir, but anyone can have a go.

Looking at the frequency response graph (especially the last one showing deviation from the target, with the target as a flat line), to take one example, there’s clear dip at what I guessed was c.4K of almost exactly 5db.

When I look at Amir’s PEQ recommendations, it has a filter at 4.1k, but only +3db, not at the 5db by which it was short.

This isn’t an isolated example, I see this a lot.

I’m sure there’s a good reason for it, but what? Why not set the filter at +5db to fix a -5db dip?

Cheers.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a question for Amir, but anyone can have a go.

Looking at the frequency response graph (especially the last one showing deviation from the target, with the target as a flat line), to take one example, there’s clear dip at what I guessed was c.4K of almost exactly 5db.

When I look at Amir’s PEQ recommendations, it has a filter at 4.1k, but only +3db, not at the 5db by which it was short.

This isn’t an isolated example, I see this a lot.

I’m sure there’s a good reason for it, but what? Why not set the filter at +5db to fix a -5db dip?

Cheers.
I think Amir's approach to EQ correction is (as for others too) informed by the data, not trying to get an exact match to the target. I dont know whether he maybe tried a 5db peak and found it too much or was just happy with 3 from the go(as in it improved things). I know this is definitely the case for bass adjustments where preference is everything. A pretty broad brush approach.

Thats the beauty of software EQ though- can easily try multiple options.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The dip is only 'exact' on that particular measurement fixture in that particular measurement condition.
Depending on one's 'ear gain' the dip may be 'worse' or less deep. It is only accurate to the standard it is measured to.

Over-compensating is more audible and sound degrading than under-compensation. So from that viewpoint it is often better to not compensate exactly to an artificial 'target' but somewhat below and adjust to taste if needed.
Amir's (and other) measurements are merely indicative and it is not an exact science as some people make it out to be.
In that light Amir's 'simple' EQ is often enough and also checked in practice on Amirs head and ears on the copy he had.

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The dip is only 'exact' on that particular measurement fixture in that particular measurement condition.
Depending on one's 'ear gain' the dip may be 'worse' or less deep. It is only accurate to the standard it is measured to.
Not to mention that particular sample.
The above should be on a gold laden plaque, on every headphone.
Every word is right to the point, thanx.
Over-compensating is more audible and sound degrading than under-compensation. So from that viewpoint it is often better to not compensate exactly to an artificial 'target' but somewhat below and adjust to taste if needed.
Amir's (and other) measurements are merely indicative and it is not an exact science as some people make it out to be.
In that light Amir's 'simple' EQ is often enough and also checked in practice on Amirs head and ears on the copy he had.
Absolutely!
On my sample, not only I do not EQ the 4kHz dip, but I EQ everything from 5.5kHz down with a gentle slope, then it sounds right! To me!
I always find simple, gentle slope EQ's work best.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Point on the sample taken.

But you wouldn’t correct a 5db error on one sample with a 3db filter on the logic that another sample might only have a 3db error - that’s crazy.

Other points, thanks for the replies. As I say, points taken.

But when I’ve looked, it’s a regular thing that Amir ‘undercorrects’ when compensating for the measurements. It’s not just these, it happens a lot.

If indeed a 3db filter corrects a 5db error regularly, that opens a whole new can of worms.

And here’s the thing. Amir regularly tries to correct 2db ‘errors’, so it’s not like he feels it’s not worth it, and if it were individual measurement-dependent (the “it’s not an exact science” argument), then logically a -2db error might need correcting with a -1db filter, rather than a +2db filter - literally going the other way to what you’d expect. And I’ve never seen Amir do anything like that. Sorry if I’ve worded any of that badly.

Anyway, just noticed it, so I thought I’d mention it.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor

I suspect it’s something along these lines.

I suspect that, whilst we think you can correct most phones with EQ, the more you use, the less ‘natural’ it sounds, so it’s better to correct away 3db of the 5db error and have it sounding natural, than all 5db and have it sounding ‘artificial’.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Point on the sample taken.

But you wouldn’t correct a 5db error on one sample with a 3db filter on the logic that another sample might only have a 3db error - that’s crazy.

Other points, thanks for the replies. As I say, points taken.

But when I’ve looked, it’s a regular thing that Amir ‘undercorrects’ when compensating for the measurements. It’s not just these, it happens a lot.

If indeed a 3db filter corrects a 5db error regularly, that opens a whole new can of worms.

And here’s the thing. Amir regularly tries to correct 2db ‘errors’, so it’s not like he feels it’s not worth it, and if it were individual measurement-dependent (the “it’s not an exact science” argument), then logically a -2db error might need correcting with a -1db filter, rather than a +2db filter - literally going the other way to what you’d expect. And I’ve never seen Amir do anything like that. Sorry if I’ve worded any of that badly.

Anyway, just noticed it, so I thought I’d mention it.

Thanks again.
Because he's not using the help of a graphical program like REW he can't string multiple filters together to accurately fill that gap, if he totally fills the gap with one filter then it'll probably "overspill" into the surrounding frequencies on both sides (as in too much energy on both sides of the dip and then those areas either side will be above the target) - and it's possible he tried doing that and it sounded too bright because of that problem. If you use something like REW then you can completely fill that gap and then use two other peak filters either side of the dip to bring down the surrounding areas of the dip down onto the target - but you can't do that by eye, hence why Amir just uses one filter to fill one dip. It's not a particularly sharp dip so you could probably fill it with peak filter, and then use two more filters on either side to bring the surrounding areas back down to the target.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was worried about the weight too.

Turns out, for me, it wasn't really an issue. I can wear the XC for several hours without discomfort.
Tend to agree. Based on the look and the curb weight, you would think these headphones would feel like murder after a few hours. In reality I can wear them all day without feeling the strain. The weird thing is my Focal Elex cans feel like toys to me now.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tend to agree. Based on the look and the curb weight, you would think these headphones would feel like murder after a few hours. In reality I can wear them all day without feeling the strain. The weird thing is my Focal Elex cans feel like toys to me now.
They kill my neck. Must be feeble.

andivax

Forum Donor
For CLOSED BACK cans LCD-XC is GREAT. Without EQ it has very pronounced colouring on mids. But it is CLOSED BACKS so if you need to produce or mix or even listen to your favourite music - it is the way (and the only way, because it bleeds 4 times less audio in comparison with open backs like LCD-X). After EQing it is GREAT!!!
Here is my correction EQ curve for FabFilter Pro-Q3 and Audeze profiles for dSoniq Reakpohones (MM-500, LCD-2, LCD-X, LCD-XC).
Well done, Audeze!

Attachments

• Profiles - Realphones & Pro-Q3.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 88

sharock

For CLOSED BACK cans LCD-XC is GREAT. Without EQ it has very pronounced colouring on mids. But it is CLOSED BACKS so if you need to produce or mix or even listen to your favourite music - it is the way (and the only way, because it bleeds 4 times less audio in comparison with open backs like LCD-X). After EQing it is GREAT!!!
Here is my correction EQ curve for FabFilter Pro-Q3 and Audeze profiles for dSoniq Reakpohones (MM-500, LCD-2, LCD-X, LCD-XC).
Well done, Audeze!
How would one use this with EqualizerAPO?

Thanks

andivax

Forum Donor
No problem.

Does it show the individual PEQ filters anywhere in FabFilter? I could just manually enter them into EQAPO.

In theory you can install Pro-Q 3 demo and manually copy/paste all parameters to EQAPO.

Peterinvan

K7 with Audeze LCD-XC

This is a great pairing. The K7 is impressing me with its taught bass, 3D sound stage, realistic vocals and crisp snares and hi-hats. I am using a Regulated Linear Power Supply to get the extra micro details. This is my bass heavy playlist:

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/333e7833-4956-4cc7-af27-e7891910ceeb

1711063210578.png

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
K7 with Audeze LCD-XC

This is a great pairing. The K7 is impressing me with its taught bass, 3D sound stage, realistic vocals and crisp snares and hi-hats. I am using a Regulated Linear Power Supply to get the extra micro details. This is my bass heavy playlist:

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/333e7833-4956-4cc7-af27-e7891910ceeb

1711063210578.png
I am glad you are enjoying your setup.
Regarding the linear PSU, I suspect you have done yourself a disservice!
I doubt very much the supplied PSU can be bettered. Worsened? easy!

jumper981

Hi!
I bought a used LCD-XC in pristine conditions.
Despite this my headphone have a strange channel imbalance only on bass between 20 to 50Hz.
Left sub bass is 1.4/1.5dB more than right.
Earpads are slightly soft now.
I measured this on a flat plane with proper precautions.
Does anyone exibit the same behaviour?
From Amirm measurements seems the same.
Measurements attached.

Attachments

• LCD-XC response.jpg
    LCD-XC response.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 11

Mr Swing King

I listened to this headphone for the third time this weekend, and I still feel it is a huge letdown. First of all, if you don’t equalise there are far better options than this. The uppermids on this is like an old school AKG - honky tonk and in ya face. I really dig the rest of the presentation, but the mids just make minced meat out of music.
The dealbreaker of all dealbreakers though is of course the psycho weight. I’ve owned the LCD-4 before, and it’s in the same ballpark aka feels like wearing a birdhouse.
Anyhoo if you love the stock sound of this can but could do with better comfort, then I’d suggest the K361 which also comes with a bit of honky tonk in the mids…yet weighs about the same as a bag of gummibears

Top Bottom