• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audeze LCD-X Review (2021 Edition Headphone)

Blorg

@Liya just bear in mind Audeze has absolutely huge batch to batch variance, they can be 6dB+ out in places. Oratory's LCD-X measurements don't seem to match my one, for example, if I use his EQ directly it makes them much too bright/shouty. It seems mine are more forward in that area than his was. They are definitely recessed there, just not as much as the measured set was. I don't have this issue with his measurements of anything else, this is specifically an Audeze thing.

So I would be prepared to sanity check and modify it manually.

To be honest what other measurements of Audeze cans gives you at best is an indication of general shape, you need to adjust the amount yourself. Use a sine sweep and try to get it smooth, this does not necessarily mean same volume as I do hear the pinna gain as increasing volume. But try to get it as smooth as possible.

I don't have a measuring rig for over-ears; I do for IEMs. This is the Audeze Euclid. You can see there is a certain commonality as to shape, but if you had Precog's one and tried to EQ from VSG's measurements, just imagine how that would end up sounding. I have my own measuring rig for IEMs, so I was able to get these just perfect, but it would have been impossible from third party measurements.

Audeze do not make the same headphone twice. So one you sort of do need to use your own ears (or a personal measuring rig). I believe you can also request the FR of your own personal unit from Audeze, but I'm not sure it comes in a format that is EQ-friendly.
1711950910519.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
I believe you can also request the FR of your own personal unit from Audeze, but I'm not sure it comes in a format that is EQ-friendly.
Not directly:

Liya

@Liya just bear in mind Audeze has absolutely huge batch to batch variance, they can be 6dB+ out in places. Oratory's LCD-X measurements don't seem to match my one, for example, if I use his EQ directly it makes them much too bright/shouty. It seems mine are more forward in that area than his was. They are definitely recessed there, just not as much as the measured set was. I don't have this issue with his measurements of anything else, this is specifically an Audeze thing.

So I would be prepared to sanity check and modify it manually.

To be honest what other measurements of Audeze cans gives you at best is an indication of general shape, you need to adjust the amount yourself. Use a sine sweep and try to get it smooth, this does not necessarily mean same volume as I do hear the pinna gain as increasing volume. But try to get it as smooth as possible.

I don't have a measuring rig for over-ears; I do for IEMs. This is the Audeze Euclid. You can see there is a certain commonality as to shape, but if you had Precog's one and tried to EQ from VSG's measurements, just imagine how that would end up sounding. I have my own measuring rig for IEMs, so I was able to get these just perfect, but it would have been impossible from third party measurements.

Audeze do not make the same headphone twice. So one you sort of do need to use your own ears (or a personal measuring rig). I believe you can also request the FR of your own personal unit from Audeze, but I'm not sure it comes in a format that is EQ-friendly.
View attachment 360522
Thank you. Well, I haven't clicked 'buy now' button yet on the LCD-X. Initially, I wanted Dan Clark's Expanse, then I though: 'I'm not spending that much on headphones' and I looked for cheaper planars... now, after reading about all sort of Audeze's 'problems', I am not sure again. Cheaper Aeon 2s are not without issues either.

Blorg

Thank you. Well, I haven't clicked 'buy now' button yet on the LCD-X. Initially, I wanted Dan Clark's Expanse, then I though: 'I'm not spending that much on headphones' and I looked for cheaper planars... now, after reading about all sort of Audeze's 'problems', I am not sure again. Cheaper Aeon 2s are not without issues either.
If you haven't got it yet, the Hifiman HE1000 Stealth ($1,399) is a much better headphone. So is the Arya Stealth ($759) or to be honest from a tuning perspective even the Ananda Stealth ($399) or Edition XS ($379). Before you discount these for being so much cheaper, bear in mind the OG Ananda was released at $1,000, far closer to the LCD-X at the time. While the OG Edition X was $1,799. Hifiman just very aggressively drop their prices.

The LCD-X does have the best bass impact, a certain physicality, that is the one thing I have it for. But even that, the HE1000 has a little rise there and is close. While being much better tuned, much better soundstage, much lighter and more comfortable too.

Top Bottom