• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

goat76

Major Contributor
And? Brits are known for their marketing so that is the biggest reason + many people are brand loyalists who are affraid to make changes.
Chord also have cult like following, but that is mostly for their marketing. Measurements prove they are not special.
Kef on the other hand deserve all the praise since they use science and are not affraid to update design for more modern and sleeker look.

Still gotta give credit for Atc new model SCM20ASL, This one looks really stylish with great materials.

Most of the ATC clientele are professionals who are dependent on real-world results, otherwise, they wouldn't get a satisfying job done for their paying customers. It's naive to think that anyone dependent on good results in their profession would go for speakers based on marketing or to be part of some sort of cult. :)

Last edited:

boxerfan88

It's also naive to think that there aren’t other manufacturers who can produce products with even better real-world results. :)

Avp1

It's also naive to think that there aren’t other manufacturers who can produce products with even better real-world results. :)

There are no more than a handful of them. Even less can do it with price below $100K where even the most expensive ATC speakers are.

dfuller

Major Contributor
There are no more than a handful of them. Even less can do it with price below $100K where even the most expensive ATC speakers are.
I mean, not really. My KH420s beat out SCM50s handily... and I like the SCM50s.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I think people should be reminded that Neumann and Genelec exist after every single ATC post.
All the time.
For hundreds of pages.
Without end.
Lol
Like I said it's just for the comparison with factory tour video
I also stated I like ATC , and actually started this thread about them, so obviously I have nothing against them

Arnas

I think people should be reminded that Neumann and Genelec exist after every single ATC post.
All the time.
For hundreds of pages.
Without end.
Lol Youre right.
Pearljam is the reason i constantly kept hearing about these 2 brands all the time in so many threads years ago...
Probably never noticed these brands and would not have bought My Genelec's.

Talking about Atc, these speakers look very well built and it looks like they would last decades. Wont be suprised that they would last more against more complex competitors.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Previously, the stand-mount SCM20 was only available in passive version, now there is an active version too, the SCM20ASL. That's.
My 20ASL pro's were active in the original curvy-cast cabinets and I *thought* they'd changed to a conventional rectangular cabinet while still offering an active version - okay, maybe just in the pro versions rather than a more domestic-friendly cosmetic...

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Talking about Atc, these speakers look very well built and it looks like they would last decades.
Genelec and Neumann are more robust and last twice as many decades. Please stay on topic.
200w.gif

But seriously, yes, they are well made. I would think the veneer of the SCP19v2 would be perfect for decades, but eventually you will ding them while moving or vacuuming or something.

The SCM20, which more or less are the same speakers, seem to have a far more forgiving build.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
...to my ears the ATCs noticeably compressed at high levels (this was most noticeable to me in big orchestral works, they never sounded quite right at proper orchestral volumes).

Anyway, yes, the ATCs are not as good as current designs. But they are still excellent monitors. There are just (even) better options out there today. I cannot comment on value for money. FYI when I bought my pair of SCM50ASLs their RRP was half their price today (and incidentally not far from what a pair of 8361s retails at today).
I did have an afternoon's listen to the 200A's as they then were (twin 12" bass drivers laterally disposed) with the m,arge amp/crossover box set between them and umbilicals with 'Burndy-type' plugs and sockets to connect them. They made 100A's such as I used sound small and more constricted, but you'd only know in a kind-of direct comparison. the 50ASL's sounded a bit 'smaller' again but even then were way above the kind of domestic boxes we had access to.

It does or did seem easy to make ATC actives sound constricted or compressed somehow and I suspect lack of power in the standard amp packs was a possible issue (their electronics designer/director Tim Isaac once commented how the 50 bass driver could POP with 'Pearls a Singer' but not sure if this was a live monitoring or the mix-down itself. I heard a set of their limited edition 70ASL's (fugly silvery boxes) with their own top preamp (itself suspect back then if mine was anything to go by) and a Linn CD12 - I couldn't believe how 'in the boxes' and 'bland' the sound was... The 100ASLs and 150ASLs I heard far more recently with their latest preamp driving them sounded delightful at lower volumes (I freely admit I have no experience or exposure to Genelecs nor Neumanns, let alone other new models, so it's a purely personal subjective view in comparison to the other passives I've heard more recently).

YSDR

It does or did seem easy to make ATC actives sound constricted or compressed somehow and I suspect lack of power in the standard amp packs was a possible issue
Or the larger surface area of the woofer section makes them more effortless sounding (less compression, distortion etc).
I think the woofers are the weakest link of the 3-way ATC speakers, the short voice coils doesn't helps here, they don't have very high power handling. Probably
that's one reason why the dual woofer 200A and 300A exists with the same, single mid- and tweeter dome.

Last edited:

roog

Forum Donor

Here is an interesting video about an ATC factory tour. The video was just published by Patrik from Sound in Grooves. I think that the factory is not in a good state maintenance. I wouldn't let anyone film it...

Amazing and I agree with your comment about filming it! I searched google maps for their factory before I bought ATC so I wasn't surprised to see what it looks like in side.
I own ATC SCM 40 loudspeakers and putting audio performance to one side the build quality is exceptional.
Their factory is about 33 miles from where I live.

dfuller

Major Contributor
My 20ASL pro's were active in the original curvy-cast cabinets and I *thought* they'd changed to a conventional rectangular cabinet while still offering an active version - okay, maybe just in the pro versions rather than a more domestic-friendly cosmetic...
They did change to a more typical cabinet, yes.
It does or did seem easy to make ATC actives sound constricted or compressed somehow and I suspect lack of power in the standard amp packs was a possible issue (their electronics designer/director Tim Isaac once commented how the 50 bass driver could POP with 'Pearls a Singer' but not sure if this was a live monitoring or the mix-down itself. I heard a set of their limited edition 70ASL's (fugly silvery boxes) with their own top preamp (itself suspect back then if mine was anything to go by) and a Linn CD12 - I couldn't believe how 'in the boxes' and 'bland' the sound was... The 100ASLs and 150ASLs I heard far more recently with their latest preamp driving them sounded delightful at lower volumes (I freely admit I have no experience or exposure to Genelecs nor Neumanns, let alone other new models, so it's a purely personal subjective view in comparison to the other passives I've heard more recently).
I can't say I noticed that compression when I demoed, but I also don't get that loud.

DSJR

Major Contributor
They did change to a more typical cabinet, yes.

I can't say I noticed that compression when I demoed, but I also don't get that loud.
But you use proper gear to drive them.

DSJR

Major Contributor

WillBrink

Here is an interesting video about an ATC factory tour. The video was just published by Patrik from Sound in Grooves. I think that the factory is not in a good state maintenance. I wouldn't let anyone film it...

I don't give a damn about the state of their factory of they make great speakers, which they do.

Avp1

Genelec factory(for comparison )
I actually like the different approaches for doing pro audio
Genelec factory feels maybe a bit more modern but ATC is still very cool

Did you notice the amount of acoustic treatment in the Atmos mixing room shown in this video? This is a room more dead than anything else I saw in studios. Controlled directivity in speakers is irrelevant for this room.

Top Bottom